Work Permit Renewal

Hi,

I apologise if this topic has been covered already, but I googled it and couldn't see anything about this subject.

My work permit was up for renewal this month. I get a new Non B visa every 90 days,

Yes, I know I could request a 1 year extension but we won't go into that right now, it's an ongoing aim to get to that position due to various other complications.

So at the labour office they said the regulations had changed and I had to sign a two year employment contract (extendable for a second 2 years, then another one year)

This, and some other minor bits were done. I was given a 2 year stamp in my work permit.

Despite the fact I have a 90 day Non B visa - this still needs renewing until I sort out the one year extension, or can I get a 2 year extension based on the WP renewal date perhaps?

Couldn't get a clear explanation as to why it had changed, due to so many other people in the office renewing WPs apparently for the same reason.

Can anyone explain what and why the regulations appear to have changed please?

Cheers,

The new employment act allows for 2 year work permits.

I think if you check it has a stamp saying it is valid for the lenth of your permit to stay even though you won't have to do a renewal for 2 years.

Immigration does not give 2 year extensions (other than some under BOI rules).

If you can meet the requirements you could get a 1 year extension.

I think if you check it has a stamp saying it is valid for the lenth of your permit to stay even though you won't have to do a renewal for 2 years.

The stamp is the same one which has always been used before, it says:

"Renewal of the work permit is granted in respect of previous title/occupation/profession until (date stamp)"

No reference to length of permission to stay (on the WP stamp), although sure, in the past the WP date has always followed the "admitted until" date on the Non B in the passport, which is why I had to go to the labour office every time after re-entering the country to extend the WP date.

Unless it says it somewhere else on the WP perhaps, I can't seem to see anything.

Do the new rules mean that if the WP has been approved/renewed for 1 or 2 years we no longer have to run to Labor to get it validated to match the 'permit to stay' stamp?

My WP has always been renewd and endorsed for one year but I still had to go to labor to get it validated matching my 'permit to stay' status (under consideration stamp, final aproval etc.).

opalhort

Do the new rules mean that if the WP has been approved/renewed for 1 or 2 years we no longer have to run to Labor to get it validated to match the 'permit to stay' stamp?

My WP has always been renewd and endorsed for one year but I still had to go to labor to get it validated matching my 'permit to stay' status (under consideration stamp, final aproval etc.).

opalhort

It does look that way. Last month the Ministry of Labour in Bangkok, for the first time, let me extend my work permit for a year when going in with passport with just a one month stamp while immigration processes my usual one year Non-O visa.

It does look that way. Last month the Ministry of Labour in Bangkok, for the first time, let me extend my work permit for a year when going in with passport with just a one month stamp while immigration processes my usual one year Non-O visa.

How much did you have to pay for the one year?

If they now extend and validate for one year this could mean some savings (time and money) since we don't have to pay for the short-term validations anymore.

opalhort

A one year WP costs 3,100 baht.

This month I renewed my Wp and no longer was given a wp3 receipt and told to come back when my permission to stay from immigraiton was extended. I got the one year extension of the WP straight away and was told i didn't need to return when I got my extension from immigration. So it seems that the WP and extension of stay from immigration don't have to be in sync anymore.

How much did you have to pay for the one year?

If they now extend and validate for one year this could mean some savings (time and money) since we don't have to pay for the short-term validations anymore.

opalhort

I paid 6,100 Baht for my two year WP extension.

As my G/F pointed out, instead of 850 Baht every three months, I got a slight discount for paying up front for two years.