Need Urgent Help!

hAR

TELL US WHAT KIND OF SYSTEM AND SETUP YOU HAVE DON"T JUSY MAKE PANICKY POSTS WITH NO INFO TO HELP US.......YES I AM YELLING!

Now,

Close down all your programs, including AIM, ICQ, YIM.

Click 'START' and 'RUN'

Type this: command (now hit enter)

Your command prompt should come up.

type this: netstat (hit enter)

If you have all your programs shut down properly and you still have alot of connections there then you probably do have problems.

I'll make this next part really non-technical since I have no idea what connection you are on: Turn off your computer and go do something for half an hour. If anyone was connected to you, this will disconnect them, and they will give up trying to reconnect soon.

Now after that go back online and download these programs at www.download.com:

Zonealarm

Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad-Aware

Install and run all of these, they should give you reasonable uncomplicated protection against intruders, and rid you of spyware, and trojans.

If you have no antivirus, download an evaluation copy of Mcaffee, Bitdefender, or Norton antivirus, and run that too.

Post more info if you need additional help.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

I am sure this happened to me the other night, got a message about a Worm Borfor virus then another about a Trojan. This PC is used by many people so I dont know where they came from.

The o/s is Win XP. The connection is not dial up but the other (broadband) forgive me as am not at all computer savvy.

I was using a Dos program at the time so I didn't notice anything until I switched back to windows. When I returned to windows I noticed files were downloading, I stopped this then checked the settings, the home page had been changed and I noticed remote assistance had been turned on.

I have a firewall installed which told me there had been a hijack, I backtraced the address and it turns out its some hacker from Russia, not one but two.

Have NAV installed, ran a check, put the viruses in the vault then set system restore off, then restart in safe mode, remove virus, system restore back on then restart in full mode. Seems to have done the trick. But I am sure some files have gone.

Even with a firewall installed the system was hijacked, would TV members recommend installing more than one firewall and is there any other protection?

hi'

you're so patient vic :o

so many thread to learn how to protect your machine ...

hAR ... you've been hacked :D

follow advices given here and SO many times before and protect yourself :D

in real life you won't go out without protection (see what I mean..), on Internet it's the same and even worse :D

if you're not protected you'd better stay out of the web :D

question : does anyone have an idea how long a computer connected to Internet without any protection last?

[i have the answer ... it's pretty fast :D ]

francois

TELL US WHAT KIND OF SYSTEM AND SETUP YOU HAVE DON"T JUSY MAKE PANICKY POSTS WITH NO INFO TO HELP US.......YES I AM YELLING!

Now,

Close down all your programs, including AIM, ICQ, YIM.

Click 'START' and 'RUN'

Type this: command (now hit enter)

Your command prompt should come up.

type this: netstat (hit enter)

If you have all your programs shut down properly and you still have alot of connections there then you probably do have problems.

I'll make this next part really non-technical since I have no idea what connection you are on: Turn off your computer and go do something for half an hour. If anyone was connected to you, this will disconnect them, and they will give up trying to reconnect soon.

Now after that go back online and download these programs at www.download.com:

Zonealarm

Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad-Aware

Install and run all of these, they should give you reasonable uncomplicated protection against intruders, and rid you of spyware, and trojans.

If you have no antivirus, download an evaluation copy of Mcaffee, Bitdefender, or Norton antivirus, and run that too.

Post more info if you need additional help.

cv

I've had ZoneAlarm Pro, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy & Norton A-V installed (and REGULARLY updated) on my broadband system from the start. All good things to have.

In spite of that, Pest Patrol (eTrust) found a key logger and two trojans lurking on my system. I thoroughly recommend it.

On anti-virus, make sure that whatever you install can be regularly updated with new virus definitions. If you don't want to pay for a subscription with the likes of Norton etc, AVG Free Edition is a gift - in all senses; it can be set to check for updates daily.

answer to the silly question above ..

maximum 6mn, so keep yourself well protected before to connect for the first time.

as many I use ZoneAlarm pro 5.5, Ad-aware SE 1.05, Spybot SD 1.3 (with tea-timer), BHO demon 2.2, and AVG 7 free.

ADSL 2mb.

I reformatted my C drive for new year, no problem since, so I guess that it should be enough, but it all depends on what kind of site you visit :o

one hint; ZoneAlarm has an option to put network upon detection in "trusted zone", set it to "internet zone" unless you have a home network, it makes the connection a bit safer.

francois

The best thing to do is make sure you have a good firewall running. You can try a firewall which has Banned Sites List. Then you can enter the IP address of that computer into Banned Sites List. That computer will be blocked. Have you used Armor2net Personal Firewall? I know it has that feature. You may have a try. http://www.armor2net.com

Buy a Mac. Apple announced a headless US$500 model today.

I have a dozen or so ports open on mine (for http, ssh, ftp, etc.) and see dozens of attacks daily. None successful so far.

The Mac OS makes it easy to lock up your machine pretty tight without any add-ons at all.

Plus, the installed base of Macs is small enough that most people don't bother writing software to break in.

Been running them for over 20 years and never had a virus, trojan horse, worm or other malware....