Student Visas

Hi everyone,

I'm currently organising to complete my Thai major at Chulalongkorn University through my University here in Australia.

I have been told by my Thai lecturer here in Australia that I cannot apply for a student visa as it takes 3 months to process and I have to begin study in Bangkok on February 21.

She said this will not be a problem as I will be able to get a non immigration visa from the Thai consulate here in Brisbane by giving her my passport and visa fee. She will organise it all and I do not need to do anything by myself.

She also went on to tell me that every 3 months I can give my passport to someone at Chula who will organise to renew my 3 month period rather than leave the country as one normally would.

This all sounds a bit dodgy, I'd rather just have a student visa which i know i am entitled to. I thought I just needed a letter from Chula confirming that I will be undertaking study there and I would be issued with it no hassles. Problem is I cannot get the letter as it is being organised through my university here in Australia.

Does it really take so long to issue and if so, why would this be the case? Also does anyone know whether i am allowed to work part time with a student visa, I'm assuming you can't with a non immigrant visa?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I'm currently organising to complete my Thai major at Chulalongkorn University through my University here in Australia.

I have been told by my Thai lecturer here in Australia that I cannot apply for a student visa as it takes 3 months to process and I have to begin study in Bangkok on February 21.

She said this will not be a problem as I will be able to get a non immigration visa from the Thai consulate here in Brisbane by giving her my passport and visa fee. She will organise it all and I do not need to do anything by myself.

She also went on to tell me that every 3 months I can give my passport to someone at Chula who will organise to renew my 3 month period rather than leave the country as one normally would.

This all sounds a bit dodgy, I'd rather just have a student visa which i know i am entitled to. I thought I just needed a letter from Chula confirming that I will be undertaking study there and I would be issued with it no hassles. Problem is I cannot get the letter as it is being organised through my university here in Australia.

Does it really take so long to issue and if so, why would this be the case? Also does anyone know whether i am allowed to work part time with a student visa, I'm assuming you can't with a non immigrant visa?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

The time problem arises because Chula' would need to apply for an ED-A visa in Thailand. Chula' can be bureaucratic as are the two ministries involved in the process. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs ultimately instructs RTCG BNE to issue the ED-A visa that enables a one year stay to be granted on first arrival at Bangkok International Airport. Chula' can still assist you to apply for an extension at the Immigration Department when you are in Thailand. You will be applying for an ED visa in Australia. An ED is an Education or student visa. It actually is a Non -

Immigrant visa. You could work part time if you were able to get a work permit in the Kingdom. That could be very difficult to obtain for a part time foreign worker. Good luck.

Say, I must say that I'm surprised but that's cool that Chula, as respectable an institution as there is in Thailand, is getting into the shady visa-run business. Does anyone know what their fees are to send out the pp for a visa stamp? :o

1. Suggest that you follow the advice / comments given by Dr PP

2. Suggest you be very careful of the accuracy of the advice given by your Thai lecturer in Australia. He /she is possibly not an expert on this, often complex, subject.

In fact I know of one Thai lecturer in Melbourne who is very quick to make comments / give advice in this area, and he has been giving completely wrong advice on these subjects for years, causing untold headaches for those involved.

I'm sure you are aware that 'foreign' students studying in Australia can, in many cases, work part time, up to to so many hours per week or per month. Don't assume that Thailand has the same approach to 'foreign' students doing part time work. In Thailand you must have a work permit (if you want to work legally), part-time / full time doesn't change the need for a work permit.

Good luck with your studies.

Thanks Alanw I will be careful, maybe I will just do visa runs.

sriracha john: a fee hasn't been mentioned to me as yet.

I'm sorry if you took my joking response seriously. I was just referring to the shady businesses that USED to do what your purported Chula was going to do for you, which is take your passport and get it stamped at the border for you without you physically going. This is illegal. I say used to, because it's been pretty much eliminated as far as I know.

1. Suggest that you follow the advice / comments given by Dr PP

2. Suggest you be very careful of the accuracy of the advice given by your Thai lecturer in Australia.  He /she is possibly not an expert on this, often complex, subject.

In fact I know of one Thai lecturer in Melbourne who is very quick to make comments / give advice in this area, and he has been giving completely wrong advice on these subjects for years, causing untold headaches for those involved.

I'm sure you are aware that 'foreign' students studying in Australia can, in many cases, work part time, up to to so many hours per week or per month.  Don't assume that Thailand has the same approach to 'foreign' students doing part time work. In Thailand you must have a work permit (if you want to work legally), part-time / full time doesn't change the need for a work permit.

Good luck with your studies.

Foreign students in Australia can get Immigratio Dep't approval to work 20 hours a week Alan. There's a fee $50 I think.