Bedrooms With No Window, And Thus Has No Natural Ventilation And Light

I have stayed in many guest houses in rooms without windows, because there was not any other or they were much more expensive. It's fine to stay for a few nights for a tourist, but is well below standard for normal standard living.

there should be some ventilation, otherwise moisture from people staying in the room will cause mould on the walls, which is dangerous to health.

even if it's grilles on the door (which is the cheapest option but lowers privacy of the room), the door should be opened as much as possible. If you install air con you will have to run it longer during the night, than in the rooms with windows and breeze.

Even a Closet or storeroom would need some sort of ventilation I would have thought !

Store room or closet is usually ventilated through the use of grilles built into the timber door.

Does the room in question have grilles in the Timber Door ?

I can't imagine why anyone would buy or rent a property which had such a bedroom as a feature unless perhaps they have a pet Gimp. :o

I rent a fantastic 106m2 two bedroom apartment for next to nothing in the low Sukhumvits.

The only reason I can think it is so cheap is that the master bedroom has no windows! This did take a lot of getting used to and also we get the odd 'dodgy' smell from the en suite beathroom, but all-in-all it works for me!

thats exactly the sort of hotel room i look for when im away, quiet and no light to wake me in the morning/afternoon,. :o

Many short-time motel (or drive-in motel) are designed and built without windows, just a parking lot in front of the entrance door that can be concealed by a huge plastic curtain. A similar feature can be seen in massage parlours built more then 20 years ago. The former is cheaper in rent if you want to stay over night... :D

I rent a fantastic 106m2 two bedroom apartment for next to nothing in the low Sukhumvits.

The only reason I can think it is so cheap is that the master bedroom has no windows! This did take a lot of getting used to and also we get the odd 'dodgy' smell from the en suite beathroom, but all-in-all it works for me!

Seems you may be the only one who has rented a unit where the bedroom has no window (or door to a balcony).

Most condos that have such units are found in the suburbs rather then near the central area - where land cost and development value are relatively low. Being so, the developer probably engaged designers who lack experience in condo design nor have stayed in one.

If I am to make a guess, the building you are staying in is a long building with a long narrow corridor with condo units on both sides of the corridor. Entrance doors most probably face each other across the corridor. This is a typical 'dormitory' floor layout. The reason why some units have bedrooms without a window is that the distance from entrance door to the window or sliding door of the living area is over 9 metres.

The section next to the entrance door to window or balcony becomes the area to place the bedrooms and bathrooms. If the condo unit is sold as a 2-bedroom, the bedroom next to the corridor will not have a window. If the condo unit is sold as a 1-bedroom, then one unit will have the bedroom next to the corridor and the adjacent unit has a bedroom facing the outside perimeter of the build line, and has a window.

This is how designers and developers try to maximize selling area in the development without due consideration to the quality of space usage.

Should you be staying in this condo long term, you should try introducing fresh air to circulate the bedroom and bathroom and get a 50W halogen lamp set with a timer to shine on the wall above the headboard of your bed to simulate sunlight. Humans still need natural light and ventilation to maintain mental well-being.

Should you be staying in this condo long term,...and get a 50W halogen lamp set with a timer to shine on the wall above the headboard of your bed to simulate sunlight. Humans still need natural light and ventilation to maintain mental well-being.

Of course the person could just go outside during the day and get sunlight and fresh air...

:o

TH

Of course the person could just go outside during the day and get sunlight and fresh air...

TH

Problem is, the occupant will not be physically aware whether it is night or day when waking up from sleep. That's the reason for a timer.

Even a Closet or storeroom would need some sort of ventilation I would have thought !

Store room or closet is usually ventilated through the use of grilles built into the timber door.

Does the room in question have grilles in the Timber Door ?

I can't imagine why anyone would buy or rent a property which had such a bedroom as a feature unless perhaps they have a pet Gimp. :o

For the maid?

i have an offer to stay in such a room for next to nothing

but i dislike always dark or power lit rooms

when i have a choice no way

Sounds like a trap mate. Before you know it , it'll be a swift blow to the head and you'll get fitted with some PVC gear and chains and the mandatory red ball in the mouth. :D ................. :o

TH

Problem is, the occupant will not be physically aware whether it is night or day when waking up from sleep. That's the reason for a timer.

At lest 5 days a week, I wake up in the morning before it gets light. But you know what, I look at the clock and it says 5:30, somehow I am physically aware that it means AM and it is morning. All this without a halogen light coming on automatically. :D

TH

At lest 5 days a week, I wake up in the morning before it gets light. But you know what, I look at the clock and it says 5:30, somehow I am physically aware that it means AM and it is morning. All this without a halogen light coming on automatically. :o

TH

Are you doing farming in the province?... :D

• 2 weeks later...
thats exactly the sort of hotel room i look for when im away, quiet and no light to wake me in the morning/afternoon,. :D

Premier Inn Soi 20 Sukhumvit has windowless rooms.I have foil to black out my bedroom,I don't know why they have windows in bedrooms then cover them. :o:D:D

Has anyone in this forum bought or rented a property with a bedroom that has just four walls and a timber door?

I would love a feedback on how such a room is being used.

I was apartment hunting in Pattaya and went into what can only be described as a 'block-apartment' sandwiched between two shop-houses and extending deeper within.

The Entry-way was narrow as a doorway.

Went up the stairs with the owner-girl.

EVERY bare room was just a small 'box-room' with a bathroom which led of the stairway through a labrynth of narrow corridors.

No windows as such, no daylight, just artificial lighting and the place stunk of unrended masonry.

A fan was about the only breeze you were getting.

They wanted 1500 baht a month though.

Grim as you like and probably good for storing excess kit and that was about it. Even then your kit would probably stink of bricks. :o

thats exactly the sort of hotel room i look for when im away, quiet and no light to wake me in the morning/afternoon,. :D

Premier Inn Soi 20 Sukhumvit has windowless rooms.I have foil to black out my bedroom,I don't know why they have windows in bedrooms then cover them. :o:D:D

Probably there is another window just outside the foil covered one, belonging to the next door building or shophouse. I would avoid staying in such an inn due to bad or non-existing fire escape.

I was apartment hunting in Pattaya and went into what can only be described as a 'block-apartment' sandwiched between two shop-houses and extending deeper within.

The Entry-way was narrow as a doorway.

Went up the stairs with the owner-girl.

EVERY bare room was just a small 'box-room' with a bathroom which led of the stairway through a labrynth of narrow corridors.

No windows as such, no daylight, just artificial lighting and the place stunk of unrended masonry.

A fan was about the only breeze you were getting.

They wanted 1500 baht a month though.

Grim as you like and probably good for storing excess kit and that was about it. Even then your kit would probably stink of bricks. :o

This 'block-apartment' is probably illegally converted from a shophouse to a dormitory. What you have described sounds like a crematorium structure rather then a residential structure.

there is a difference in a bathroom, where you spend a little time per day, and a bedroom or living room, where you spend a lot of hours per day. For a short time it's tolerable, but long-term not healthy, substandard

Has anyone in this forum bought or rented a property with a bedroom that has just four walls and a timber door?

I would love a feedback on how such a room is being used.

Broom cupboard ........good luck in the fire :o