Is It Time To Welcome Back The Backpackers ?

ttthailand

Now here we have some enlightening posts instead of the usal drivel , keep those cheap smelly individuals outa here , keep it coming guys , true perspective instead o hyperbole , maybe there is a chance for TV to pull itself up by the boot-straps .

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jaysus, some of ye talk some load of <deleted> on here

cheap smelly hippies?

:o

Yes , can you believe , that is what a self imposed (Better than thou) poster refered to back packers , did you not Mr Zorro ?

I first came to Thailand as a so called 'backpacker' about 13 years ago. Sought out cheap digs on Kho San Road . Spent a load on beers and travelling around. Some of the best times of my life. I've been back to Khosan Road several times since, even with Kids. Its different everytime. I've stayed in Sukumvit several times also with the NON-Backpacker Sex tourist types who seemed to dispise the backpackers even then. I've stayed in a few 4 star but never 5 star Hotels also and quite frankly I preferred Khao san Road. I suppose once a backpacker always a backpacker.

I shave once a week on Friday and when visiting immigration. I Shower atleast twice a day in summer and atleast twice a week in winter. No one gives a Sh*t. !

My 'Thai' gardener has the worst smelling breath I've ever encountered and the worst B.O I've ever encountered . I have it from a good source that he showers regularly also. If I was to ask him he'd probably say I smell of 'Fish & Chips' and he'd also know as every Thai does, that backpackers smell; even when he's never encounterd one.

My Shit smells as does yours :o

Thailand got too expensive for backpackers, but maybe Cambodia will step up and welcome them. My only "backpacking" experience was an evening in Khao San, went to a club there and trust me, 200 baht for a Jack-Coke, didn't sounded exactly like backpacker's price.

That is expensive, and if that's you're only experience it's easy to see how you came to the wrong conclusion. You can get an entire bottle of whiskey at a club in KSR for not much more than you paid for one drink.

Yeah, I know, in places like Gulliver's or such...not my cup of tea. I do love the Israeli restaurant around the corner, though...great eggplant salad, really cheap too

Reading this thread, one gets the impression that Thailand only attracts backpackers and sex tourists :o

All these lables mean nothing.

Edited by pampal

cheap smelly hippies?

Yes , can you believe , that is what a self imposed (Better than thou) poster refered to back packers , did you not Mr Zorro ?

Dumball please get your facts right, at no stage did I refer to them as "cheap smelly hippies?" I called the smelly little buggers :D

If they were to ever overrun BKK and our beaches here like they have in that hel_l hole that you live in I would be out.

Edited by zorro1

cheap smelly hippies?

Dumball please get your facts right, at no stage did I refer to them as "cheap smelly hippies?" I called the smelly little buggers :D

If they were to ever overrun BKK and our beaches here like they have in that hel_l hole that you live in I would be out.

yeah...I actually think the hippy comment was me. :D

I'm not sure they ever even left. Khao San road is incredibly busy lately. Absolutely packed with people. It's difficult to even walk down the road at night time because of the enormous horde of people.

That cause tyhey keep adding more stalls :o

I started carrying a pack on my back at age 50, commuting to junior college to study business. Handy things, backpacks. Commuted to and from work, in Thailand and South Padre Island, with that pack I bought at WalMart in 2001, which I still use when I go to town, after using it in ten countries.

when i first came to thailand i met these backpackers and they were counting every last baht. like take a taxi ride with another couple and the guy asks "is this split 3 ways or 4 ways because it really feels like you should be counted separate." he was quite relieved when the couple pulled 2 green notes out and paid for everyone's fare.

I started carrying a pack on my back at age 50, commuting to junior college to study business. Handy things, backpacks. Commuted to and from work, in Thailand and South Padre Island, with that pack I bought at WalMart in 2001, which I still use when I go to town, after using it in ten countries.

Next thing you'll be telling us is that you have long plaitted hair, with a bandanna. And you take a shower once a week, whether you need one or not. :o

Edited by JacknDanny

Next thing you'll be telling us is that you have long plaitted hair, with a bandanna. And you take a shower once a week, whether you need one or not. :o

i believe he does, and is quite proud of it.

I really don't mind backpackers that much aside from my complaints about hygiene and dressing like hippies. But the fact is, where I go in Thailand, I just don't interact with them. You want to know where they are? Khao San. I really don't go to Khao San that much because I, as well as others who have spent time in Thailand beyond a 2 week vacation, know where to go. The backpackers stick to the same old areas--which I do not go to.

However, I think people are overestimating the importance of the backpacker or tourism in general for Thailand. I hear alot of people saying that Thailand is dying for tourism, and need the backpackers. Well the fact is, Thailand is a fairly large country, and there are other things going on bringing in money other than tourism. If the film industry in Los Angeles died suddenly one day, L.A. would still go on because there are other businesses there that feed the economy. If Tourism in Thailand up and died, life would still go on. Thailand has a huge supply of natural gas in the South, and is a large exporter of food and manufactured goods. In my family, NO ONE works in the tourism area, or comes into regular contact with falangs.

Talk all you want about how many people in Khao San depend on backpackers. Well if the backpackers disappeared, it would suck for some street vendors and hostel owners on Khao San. But the world of Thailand outside of Khao San would really not notice. Nevermind even the rest of Thailand, the city of Bangkok outside of Khao San wouldn't even notice.

You will note that your post giving a rational view of Thailand not from KSR or Sukhumvit as been ignored, welcome to the club.

For the posters that claim that backpacker are one that got Thailand on the map, I beg to differ. The people that got Thailand on the map are the expats that came here in the early 80’s working for international construction companies that help build the first of the energy infrastructure that allowed Thailand’s development.

TH

I really don't mind backpackers that much aside from my complaints about hygiene and dressing like hippies. But the fact is, where I go in Thailand, I just don't interact with them. You want to know where they are? Khao San. I really don't go to Khao San that much because I, as well as others who have spent time in Thailand beyond a 2 week vacation, know where to go. The backpackers stick to the same old areas--which I do not go to.

However, I think people are overestimating the importance of the backpacker or tourism in general for Thailand. I hear alot of people saying that Thailand is dying for tourism, and need the backpackers. Well the fact is, Thailand is a fairly large country, and there are other things going on bringing in money other than tourism. If the film industry in Los Angeles died suddenly one day, L.A. would still go on because there are other businesses there that feed the economy. If Tourism in Thailand up and died, life would still go on. Thailand has a huge supply of natural gas in the South, and is a large exporter of food and manufactured goods. In my family, NO ONE works in the tourism area, or comes into regular contact with falangs.

Talk all you want about how many people in Khao San depend on backpackers. Well if the backpackers disappeared, it would suck for some street vendors and hostel owners on Khao San. But the world of Thailand outside of Khao San would really not notice. Nevermind even the rest of Thailand, the city of Bangkok outside of Khao San wouldn't even notice.

You will note that your post giving a rational view of Thailand not from KSR or Sukhumvit as been ignored, welcome to the club.

For the posters that claim that backpacker are one that got Thailand on the map, I beg to differ. The people that got Thailand on the map are the expats that came here in the early 80’s working for international construction companies that help build the first of the energy infrastructure that allowed Thailand’s development.

TH

TH don't leave out the US Military that spent a good deal of time here in the 60,70s on R&R. Now their backpacks were green but still qualifies for Forrest Gump status.

They spent a bit more then just R&R and in fact built a lot of the roads and other infrastructure, some of which is still in use today.

But mostly the US military left in late the '70 and Thailand was in a the doldrums a bit until moves were made in the early '80 to develop the energy sources that Thailand had available. This opened up the Southern Bangkok area and the Eastern Seaboard for industrial development, which continues to this day.

After the US military left, even Pattaya was dying until the Eastern Seaboard started to grow. At the same time, there were large projects in the Middle East and many of the expats on them did their R&R’s in Pattaya (many having served in the military in the '70's knew what to expect). The military laid the foundations, but the expats really made Pattaya to what is today.

TH

They spent a bit more then just R&R and in fact built a lot of the roads and other infrastructure, some of which is still in use today.

But mostly the US military left in late the '70 and Thailand was in a the doldrums a bit until moves were made in the early '80 to develop the energy sources that Thailand had available. This opened up the Southern Bangkok area and the Eastern Seaboard for industrial development, which continues to this day.

After the US military left, even Pattaya was dying until the Eastern Seaboard started to grow. At the same time, there were large projects in the Middle East and many of the expats on them did their R&R’s in Pattaya (many having served in the military in the '70's knew what to expect). The military laid the foundations, but the expats really made Pattaya to what is today.

TH

Please don't blame Pattaya on the expats :o:D:D

I showed up here with the wife both sporting backpacks,would need a charted 747 to fly the crap out we have now.That has cost a fortune.

Backpackers dont spend any money ! get real most have progressed to flashpacker status now might smell still but a little more cash.

The real tight fisted ones are some of the retirees that are trying to make there little nest egg last till they meet there maker. Complain about everything going up while the interest on their savings goes down.

With the world economy in a down spin and the Thailand tourist numbers dropping as well perhaps it's time for Thailand to welcome back the Backpackers and the not so high paying tourists. Will they want to come after the bad rap they received ? Perhaps a "Sorry Joe" is in line...

A return of the old back to back visas and 30 day visa runs would also bring in tons of needed cash.

Bar opening and closing hours in some areas could also be changed...perhaps open 24 hr.

I believe it will happen sooner or later the only question is when....

:D I don't mind the backpackers...everybody is young and stupid one time in his/her life. I was.

However, visa fees bring in more revenue that goes directly to the Thai government itself than tourisim itself ever does. I don't think you'll ever see free visas for backpackers or visa runners again. You have the money to pay for a visa, you get in. Otherwisw, you're not wanted.

As for extending the bars hours, I bet it will go the other way. The boozer/loser bar culture always think that they inject a lot of money into the Thai economy. I know perfectly well that most of the money spent in a bar doesn't go to the poor or the bar workers, it doen't really help the Thai economy, it goes to the owners and only what is left over (and not wanted) by the people at the top of the food chain is passed down to those below. Thailand needs less bars and more actual jobs.

That doesn't mean I think all the bars should be shut, or alchohol should be banned, or anything stupid like that. I just feel, from my experience, that the bar culture in Thailand does more harm than good, especially for the Thais.

But then again...that's just my opinion.

I showed up here with the wife both sporting backpacks,would need a charted 747 to fly the crap out we have now.That has cost a fortune.

Backpackers dont spend any money ! get real most have progressed to flashpacker status now might smell still but a little more cash.

The real tight fisted ones are some of the retirees that are trying to make there little nest egg last till they meet there maker. Complain about everything going up while the interest on their savings goes down.

1995, 3 or 4th trip here, my 3 mates and I travelled in JAL Seasons Class (business) and checked into the Nana Hotel on KSR (500 baht a night) with Backpacks and Golf Clubs. Needless to say, not only did we make a fashion statement, we also spent one heck of a lot of money in 3 weeks here.

I believe the OP will find that back-to-back visas are back, only for 14/15 days at land-borders, that was one welcome change last November.

But agree that the reduction from 30 days was not helpful, to keeping Thailand's tourist-industry jogging along, how about boosting it to 60 days on-arrival, wherever/however people arrive ? ! :D

If Malaysia can do me 90 days, surely Thailand can manage 60, at least ! :D

:o It's quite easy to get a 60 day Tourist visa to Thailand. Just walk in with your passport, a couple of pictures, and pay the FEE.

Oh I see, you meant a free visa.

Now, how does that FREE visa benefit the Thai government's revenues?

Back to the original question. I think backpakcers are grubby, drink silly buckets of whisky and coke and talk about how they own the world on a gap year.

They annoy me and I feel this way because... one time on Krabi I met a group of dreadlocked worldwise bums, who sat with myself and friends and drank themselves silly. Later in the evening one of them started to get lippy to the Thai guys around and in good fashion i told him and his freinds to move from my table or they would be removed. On asking them to pay their bill they emptied their pockets to reveal broken cigarettes and dirty hankys.. who paid, oh yes me of course...this isnt the first time pished worldwise travellers have attached themselves to me in Thailand. If their mummys dont give them enough pocket money for their gullivers, they should stay at home and stop trying to pay with shiny shells and beads....

You really have to shake your head in wonder at some of the posts. They are as brainless as the government officials wanting to go upmarket and attract 5 star tourists to a 3 star destination.

Even Australia works to attract and service the backpacker market. They pump money into the food stalls, guesthouses, tours, travel, souvenirs etc. And they are repeat visitors. They are an important part of the tourism market, yet the Thais insult them and try to make visas difficult, they have plenty of options and will take them. Seems to be quite a grapevine too about where to go and not to go, keep it up and they will move on. Brilliant strategy in a looming recession.

took me a while to realise i didn't post this

thought i had gone mad

Clearly most of the posters in this thread haven't been to KSR lately, as I have a few times to go to my favorite blues bar, Ad Here The 13th. So most of you are just talking through your hats.

KSR is crowded with all kinds of normal-looking tourists. Most are young people, but there are lots of older tourists as well, families even w/ the kids in tow. The young people look mostly like average college kids, and they look clean, too. Only a very small minority fits the "dirty hippy" stereotype, and many of those are old balding grey-haired dudes w/ ponytails. Most spend less on rent at KSR, but since many stay longer, that evens out w/ the short-time high-rent spenders. Now, some do eat at the food carts, but the restaurants at KSR aren't particularly cheap and they're crowded, too. I'd say an average brekkie would cost 100 baht or more. That's what I paid.

What's notably missing in KSR are the sex tourists. I find that quite refreshing.

I believe the OP will find that back-to-back visas are back, only for 14/15 days at land-borders, that was one welcome change last November.

But agree that the reduction from 30 days was not helpful, to keeping Thailand's tourist-industry jogging along, how about boosting it to 60 days on-arrival, wherever/however people arrive ? ! :D

If Malaysia can do me 90 days, surely Thailand can manage 60, at least ! :D

:o It's quite easy to get a 60 day Tourist visa to Thailand. Just walk in with your passport, a couple of pictures, and pay the FEE.

Oh I see, you meant a free visa.

Now, how does that FREE visa benefit the Thai government's revenues?

Tourist arrives with free visa-on-arrival, spends money in hotels/shopping or national-parks or domestic-flights, and government collects VAT or park-fees or airport-charges. Tourist buys a beer or pack of ciggies, government collects excise-duty.

But the main benefit of tourists is to the Thai economy, not direct to the government, I would agree.