Marriage To Thai In Chiang Mai

peterpop

I am just starting the process of getting married to a Thai Lady,and have already discovered that the information on this web site is out of date.

Steps completed so far were very easy for a Brit.

1, Fill in 'Affirmation Letter' from British Consulate Chiang Mai. Original divorce document & passport photocopy required

2. Pay above Bht 2600

3. Go to recommended Translator

4. Translator also requires photocopy of Divorce Papers & passport. He will translate and do the neccessary with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK for about Bht 2500

5 You receive your Marriage license.

Next Step

Find someone who will marry you. [Watch this Space]

I am just starting the process of getting married to a Thai Lady,and have already discovered that the information on this web site is out of date.

Just an observation .... Thaivisa works best when people share information. Someone finds something new and posts it for the benefit of all ...

Hence rather than just saying "information on this web site is out of date", tell us which information??

Is it info provided by Thaivisa admin or by posters in one of the discussion threads? If it is TV admin provided info that is incorrect, then let them know so they can update it.

If it is in one of the discussions threads then it makes a lot more sense to add your post to THAT thread rather than starting a new one. I might be wrong, but you might just find that the TV info wasn't out of date, but that you were given incorrect information elsewhere (which happens a lot). But without knowing what info you are referring to, who can say.

Oh, and good luck in your quest :o

I married a Thai pooying, and all I needed was a visit to the local Amphur with one form from my embassy stating that I was free to marry, then translated into Thai, and within a half hour walked out with my new dependant and a Thai marriage certificate.

Easy as cake...

Then Thai marriage certificate from the government office behind the 3 Kings Monument.

Can't we get a Thai marriage certificate from our local amphur?

Reason for edit: 't

You can get married at any amphur, there is no requirement to use the amphur where you live. :o

1, Fill in 'Affirmation Letter' from British Consulate Chiang Mai. Original divorce document & passport photocopy required

2. Pay above Bht 2600

4. Translator also requires photocopy of Divorce Papers & passport. He will translate and do the neccessary with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK for about Bht 2500

Next Step

Ref 3: don't go to recommended translator or you'll get reamed. There's a place around the corner from the US consulate (SVT if memory serves) that'll do the translation of the affirmation and to and from MFA for the stamp for a lot less :o

• 2 months later...

2. Pay above Bht 2600

Next Step

So, the affirmation letter is definitely available from the British Consulate in CM and I don't need to make a trip to Bangkok for it?

Peterpop, on the British Embassy website it says that Thai Registrars require authentication of the British Consular Official's signature and certification of the Thai translation (available from the The Legalisation and Naturalisation Division in BKK), was it this step of the proceedings that your translators took care of?

I'm only be in CM for two weeks, will this be long enough to get my marriage certificate from start to finish?

I'll be going through BKK on my way back to CM from the UK in a few weeks and I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained financially by doing it all myself while I'm there. Anyone care to comment?

Cheers for any input

2. Pay above Bht 2600

Next Step

So, the affirmation letter is definitely available from the British Consulate in CM and I don't need to make a trip to Bangkok for it?

Peterpop, on the British Embassy website it says that Thai Registrars require authentication of the British Consular Official's signature and certification of the Thai translation (available from the The Legalisation and Naturalisation Division in BKK), was it this step of the proceedings that your translators took care of?

I'm only be in CM for two weeks, will this be long enough to get my marriage certificate from start to finish?

I'll be going through BKK on my way back to CM from the UK in a few weeks and I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained financially by doing it all myself while I'm there. Anyone care to comment?

Cheers for any input

Anyone?

Don't you have to go to the ministry of Foreign affairs with the relevent paperwork, to get the Thai govt. stamp that you are indeed free to marry a Thai National, or do you intend to post everything down from CM to the ministry office in BKK?

• 3 months later...
my advice dont do it, it will all end in tears, why get married just live together instead, far less hassle

Of course, it is less trouble, but women know that by 40 (or earlier) they will be younger bodies looking to hook up with you with the bothersome consequence that you GF of 40 y. o. will get ditched for the younger one, hence marriage to dissuade the fly-by-night guy/girl who is only concerned about his/her own interest! :) BTW, dissuasion is often not sufficient, hence the term dissuasion. :D

Then Thai marriage certificate from the government office behind the 3 Kings Monument.

Can't we get a Thai marriage certificate from our local amphur?

Reason for edit: 't

You can get married at any amphur, there is no requirement to use the amphur where you live. :)

A question Mario.

You get married at an amphur (any amphur) and down the track you want to get a divorce (at an amphur and not through the courts) do you have to go back to the amphur you went to originally when getting married or will any amphur do the job ? :D

Edited by john b good

Having just gone through the majority of this procedure, I feel I can give a nice upto date account of what you need to do and relevant costs here in Chiang Mai. This is relevant to a single guy having never been married before. I believe its near enough the same for a divorcee etc, but with the additional of some more papers you need to show - details of which can be found on the link below.

Step (1) Go to the uk consulate website and download their affirmation example from here:- http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ister-marriage/

Step (2) Type it up yourself. Take great care to ensure you write your full name, and accurate Passport Number and expiry/issued dates etc. Print 2 copies of your completed affirmation letter. Put another copy on a memory stick, in case they want you to change something (They won't let you amend and initial it).

Step (3) Take the letters, your passport and your memory stick to the British Consulate during their opening hours. Hand the nice lady your passport, and the affirmation letter you have typed up. If everythings ok, she will ask you to return the following day. If not, you will need to go to the virus-riddled internet shops just down the road from the Consulate, and fix the affirmation and reprint it. You can either pay today or when you collect it. The affirmation letter now costs 3,074baht. Understandable, as they do need to use a little ink from their pen, and rubber stamp it.

Step (4) Translation into Thai, and getting it sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK for their stamps/signatures. I called Diamond Translation Service on 053 874339, and they kindly went and picked up my affirmation for me from the consulate (Once I'd called the consulate to let them know), and then met me in San Sai near my house to get me to sign a few documents and to collect 1 copy of the Photo page from my passport. They collected 2000 baht from me for the total service that they do, and promised to have the documents back from BKK and ready for me within 1 week.

Step (5) True to their word, they met me in San Sai again the following Friday (1 week total), and gave me my completed documents that are all ready for the Amphur.

Step (6) Go to the Amphur somewhere behind the 3 Kings Monument. I'm going there on Wednesday, so will report back with details once I've been. From what I can gather, and from what the translation man told me, the total cost there should not exceed 300 baht. I do know people who paid 500 at the Amphur, so I guess it depends on how valuable they believe their "witnessing" of the marriage is on any given day.

I will report back after wednesday. But all in all, it can be done and dusted from start to finish in 8 or 9 days at a total cost of 5574 or slightly less.

Cheers

Phil

PS - Wish me luck for Wednesday. Now where's she put my ball and chain?.....

Edited by mallmagician

Getting married at an amphur is free. You pay sometimes for wittnesses if you don't bring your own.

It is also wise to get the khor rhor 3 form, to register the marriage at your embassy.

You are advised to make copies/scans of all the paperwork before going to the amphur, as immigration might want to have some copies if you go for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai. So it might save you some trouble in the future.