What Do You Get Out Of The Farang Scene?

dave9988

I suppose when I am old, balding, fat and desperate I will have more in common with the people in the lower Sukhumwit area. Until then, I will remain superior to them all and live on my rural farm with my buffalo.

What places are we referring too btw? I mean bars/clubs/other...I work on Silom and can't remember if I ever visited 'lower' Sukhumwit ever, but I have been to Robin Hood, Londoner etc a handful of times over the last years. (So not very often.)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! Welcome! Please come in! :D Welcome my walking ATM! :o

When they see this robot humming along, it screams walking ATM! You can see these ฿ig ฿aht signs spinning in their eyes! :D

Yeah, that's what I don't get. The idea of paying someone who probably has a 2nd grade education, is not attractive, is not interesting, to spend time with me and "be my friend" is strange. The sight of them salivating over the prospect of a farang atm is off putting and symbolizes the truly depressing nature of humanity.

If you find the idea of going to a brothel and paying a hooker for sex strange, may I suggest that you don't go.

Yes it is depresing, but you can avoid it........

You don't pay them for sex. Us young working people can get that in any clubs. You pay them to leave in the morning and not call you unless specifically asked to.

Whatever happened to just booting them out in the morning and not giving them your phone number in the first place? Would save you a bit of money.

Then again, you will tell us anything so you don't say that you have to pay for sex. Hahaha.

First of all I must admit I am like an english school at christmas. No Class.

Sois 4-19 are some of the most interesting exciting streets in Asia. Q Bar, Bed, Cowboy, Nana Plaza to name a few places. Not to mention the markets.

You must be a miserable bar steward not to enjoy the night life on lower suk

Check out Chris Coles paintings of the area.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

everyone is just floating in hiso**** on these forums. i guess they just dont like coming out in public. you know, the papparatzi(sp) and everything!

Ha, it does seem so. When I travel to Thailand this month i'm going to post up my story of all the lo-so (i'll tell you they are hi-so though) women I have dated, and all of the skanks I am sponsoring, then we can all trade names and see if any of us have the same one. Lets see if we can collect 'em all!

I didn't come here to look at pretty girls. Was that your reason for coming here? :o
There are plenty of very attractive young ladies in that area.

It says more about you, than them, that you are unable to find them. :D

It is a heterosexual thing. :D

There are much more interesting places outside the expat scene, if you like to find some adventure :o

I always avoid such places, and when I'm in another town somewhere I never go to beer bars where expat are hanging out. Like I said there are much more sanook places elsewhere.

Maybe that's why in 30 years I never went to Pattaya or other tourist towns, beaches or islands.

Hello! Welcome! Please come in! :D Welcome my walking ATM! :o

When they see this robot humming along, it screams walking ATM! You can see these ฿ig ฿aht signs spinning in their eyes! :D

Yeah, that's what I don't get. The idea of paying someone who probably has a 2nd grade education, is not attractive, is not interesting, to spend time with me and "be my friend" is strange. The sight of them salivating over the prospect of a farang atm is off putting and symbolizes the truly depressing nature of humanity.

If you find the idea of going to a brothel and paying a hooker for sex strange, may I suggest that you don't go.

Yes it is depresing, but you can avoid it........

You don't pay them for sex. Us young working people can get that in any clubs. You pay them to leave in the morning and not call you unless specifically asked to.

i would actually agree with this. that is pretty much how i saw it

There are much more interesting places outside the expat scene, if you like to find some adventure :D

I always avoid such places, and when I'm in another town somewhere I never go to beer bars where expat are hanging out. Like I said there are much more sanook places elsewhere.

Maybe that's why in 30 years I never went to Pattaya or other tourist towns, beaches or islands.

Try it sometime, you may find it more Thai than you imagined. (And/or (re)discover things in Thai culture). It was certainly an eye-opener for me, and I didn't visit for years for much of the same reasoning.

Anyway, it seems nobody is really responding to the question posed.. A queation which actually raises another question, namely what is the Farang scene, is there such a thing, and if there is, is there just one of them or several?

You seem focused on the Farang/tourist sex scene and by definition there's not a whole lot you get out of that other than the obvious things. Come to think of it, you went off-topic from the question post right there in the original post, asking about what people get out of being in a Farang scene, but instead the post itself was summed up as "The Bangkok Farang/tourist sex scene sucks". Well hey, News at 11.

But you might actually wonder if there even are Farang scenes that are worthwhile? This forum right here is a Farang scene by and large. Some people seem to get something out of it. (Some even so much so that it seems they spend most of their life on here. :o )

What I don't get is that farang tourists to Thailand make a beeline for places like Khao San Road where they meet more farangs than Thais. Why come to Thailand if they just want to meet up with other farangs? Odd.

Yes it does sound a bit odd, but the fact is that Thais, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indians, etc etc do exactly the same when they travel/live abroad. I am of the belief that most Thais would perish outside of their homeland on their own.

There are much more interesting places outside the expat scene, if you like to find some adventure :o

In 30 years in Thailand you never went to a beach or one of the islands?

Jez, Thailand is famous for having some of the best beachs in the world, truly stunning....

What have you managed to do for 30 years, sit on a farm? How boring your life must be....

No all of the beaches are surrounded by go-go bars you know, in fact most are not!

I'll never get most of the establishments of Sukhumvit, starting fom Soi 1 until Soi 30. A walk from Nana to Asok gives me the creeps, just expired bar girls, touts and cheap quality street vendors, fat, sweaty, ugly, horny foreigners and a lot of <deleted> sleaze and dirt. Bottomline is...not my cup of tea. I do like the walking street in Pattaya, though. More space to move, kind of easy to avoid hasslers and touts and, most of it, being Pattaya, I wouldn't expect anything else, it's just give some sort of unexplainable playground type of sensation :o

I'll never get most of the establishments of Sukhumvit, starting fom Soi 1 until Soi 30. A walk from Nana to Asok gives me the creeps, just expired bar girls, touts and cheap quality street vendors, fat, sweaty, ugly, horny foreigners and a lot of <deleted> sleaze and dirt. Bottomline is...not my cup of tea. I do like the walking street in Pattaya, though. More space to move, kind of easy to avoid hasslers and touts and, most of it, being Pattaya, I wouldn't expect anything else, it's just give some sort of unexplainable playground type of sensation :D

Get it right, I am not sweaty. :o

Jez, Thailand is famous for having some of the best beachs in the world, truly stunning....

What have you managed to do for 30 years, sit on a farm? How boring your life must be....

No all of the beaches are surrounded by go-go bars you know, in fact most are not!

He didn't say he never goes to beaches or islands, just not tourist beaches and islands. Who can blame him, the non touristy ones are far better.

He didn't say he never goes to beaches or islands, just not tourist beaches and islands. Who can blame him, the non touristy ones are far better.

I much rather stay in a shack with no toilet and nothing to do than a nice hotel room with lots of girls and good restaurants within walking distance. :o

Living out of the 'Expat scene' most of the time, I find it refreshing to pop down to BKK and see some friends there. Go to KSR, Nana and Cowbow at times. Same with Pattaya, go to Soi 6, World Bar, Walking Street and a few go-go bars to see the young ladies doing things to my bottle of beer that I cannot get up here.

Sometimes I get fun out of the Expat scene if that is what you want to call it, but I prefer to stay here where life seems to have more twists and turns than fiction ever could.

I'll never get most of the establishments of Sukhumvit, starting fom Soi 1 until Soi 30. A walk from Nana to Asok gives me the creeps, just expired bar girls, touts and cheap quality street vendors, fat, sweaty, ugly, horny foreigners and a lot of <deleted> sleaze and dirt. Bottomline is...not my cup of tea. I do like the walking street in Pattaya, though. More space to move, kind of easy to avoid hasslers and touts and, most of it, being Pattaya, I wouldn't expect anything else, it's just give some sort of unexplainable playground type of sensation :D

Get it right, I am not sweaty. :o

Get working on it than, you might make the mates thinking that you're going out of trend :D

Everybody has a story to tell and everybody has the right to lead their own life. Just because they don't fit your perception of "class" doesn't mean they should be classified as some kind of sub-species.

I'll talk to anybody be they an unemployed bricklayer or a CEO of a multinational corporation. I frequent all manner of establishments from the seedy beer bars up to the five star establishments. I do not judge people I have never met nor have any knowledge of lest they similarly judge me. I go through life affording all people I meet the respect and attention they deserve and that I would like them to afford myself.

If I enjoy someone's company I will make an effort to meet up with them again, if not I will quietly avoid them as I would expect them to do the same.

Your OP seems to be based entirely on your observations. Did you not sit down at one of these places and take the time to interact with the people you decry? Or did you merely observe much as a scientist observes creatures in a petri dish, distant and aloof?

Some of life's richest experiences can be had in the most unlikely of places provided we put aside our predujices and preconceptions.

Good post. Basically most expat residents in Thailand expand their social circle I should think because is this not partly why people have come to Thailand or Asia to experience something uniquely different no matter what their background and prejudices. One can meet interesting folk from all classes and backgrounds. :o

An interesting post and it rather says everything about the poster, as opposed to asking any questions.

How to reply ?

Well, firstly, what is the meaning of life ? and before anyone goes into fairy tale fantasy stuff about heaven and hel_l and God who watches everything but does bugger all (thats handy)..........what is life ?

Life simply is about staying alive, and if you want to, spreading your seed (or eggs) and creating children that will carry your name ? Yes...and what ?

Life is simply about staying alive.

So, to cut a long story short, you live for a certain number of years, you do whatever you can do in those years and then you die. Thats it, all over.

So ones efforts should be on enjoying oneself as much as possible in that time, because you do not get a second innings in this game and no little winged angels come down and fly you off to paradise, thats all complete nonsense.

So I have no problems with anyone enjoying lower Sukhumvit, simply as that is the essense of life, to enjoy. If you cannot enjoy Sukhumvit then you really are a sad barsteward who will probably never really enjoy your life and then you will die. Now that is a waste, but luckily its your waste not mine.

I have no prejudice, no qualms and do enjoy my life fully, whether it be "slumming it" in lower Sukhumvit or playing with pretty girls in Paragon, the only thing you can be sure of in life is that you will die, so enjoy it while you can.

Edited by LevelHead

I heard they are filming the 28 Weeks Later sequel in lower Sukhumwit. They are going to save a ton on make up.

Dave, where did your latest post about 'turning Thai' go ? .... Surely not Moderated. Lasted about 5 mins. :o Must be a record. I think your greatly misunderstood :D

I heard they are filming the 28 Weeks Later sequel in lower Sukhumwit. They are going to save a ton on make up.

Dave, where did your latest post about 'turning Thai' go ? .... Surely not Moderated. Lasted about 5 mins. :o Must be a record. I think your greatly misunderstood :D

I'm glad you brought that up, I replied to that load of bull---t but when posted it all disapeared, probably the best thing that could have happened to it, with his continued "Oh I have so much class" and I think I'm becoming a Thai, get off the ego trip for christs sakes, your posts dont exactly show you to be Einstein.

There are much more interesting places outside the expat scene, if you like to find some adventure :D

In 30 years I spend 1 week in Hua-Hin and one week in Bang-Phe. Maybe its sound strange to you, but there are some people who are not so beach crazy.

My home country has one of the best beaches in Northern Europe, it is more than 25 years ago since I've been there. I'm just an Urban Cowboy. A town have all the excitments :D I desire. And I can guarantee you that my life is not boring at all for an 60 year old geezer. :o

And I don't spend 30 years on a farm, and I don't stay upcountry. Most of my time I spend in Nakhon Sawan, many things to do over there. And I make tours around up North.

Edited by henryalleman

Jubby, I sincerely hope your not extracting the urine from your friend.