What Do You Get Out Of The Farang Scene?

dave9988

"Well, firstly, what is the meaning of life ?"

I thought this summed it up "Life is shit, then you die"

D/R Did'nt Lennon sum it up with something along the lines of "Life happens while your busy planning something else"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find Nana, Patpong and KhaoSanroad the most annoying and depressing areas of Bangkok, but I like visiting Pattaya once in a while for a daytrip.

I have nothing against falangs, I am one myself, but I also find the girls in those areas generally less attractive and the touts sometimes very irritating.

There are much more interesting places outside the expat scene, if you like to find some adventure :D

I always avoid such places, and when I'm in another town somewhere I never go to beer bars where expat are hanging out. Like I said there are much more sanook places elsewhere.

Maybe that's why in 30 years I never went to Pattaya or other tourist towns, beaches or islands.

In 30 years in Thailand you never went to a beach or one of the islands?

Jez, Thailand is famous for having some of the best beachs in the world, truly stunning....

What have you managed to do for 30 years, sit on a farm? How boring your life must be....

No all of the beaches are surrounded by go-go bars you know, in fact most are not!

In 30 years I spend 1 week in Hua-Hin and one week in Bang-Phe. Maybe its sound strange to you, but there are some people who are not so beach crazy.

My home country has one of the best beaches in Northern Europe, it is more than 25 years ago since I've been there. I'm just an Urban Cowboy. A town have all the excitments :D I desire. And I can guarantee you that my life is not boring at all for an 60 year old geezer. :o

And I don't spend 30 years on a farm, and I don't stay upcountry. Most of my time I spend in Nakhon Sawan, many things to do over there. And I make tours around up North.

If you have been coming on holiday to Thailand for 30 years (you stated in a rect post that your Thai wife lived with you in Europe for thirty years) it's nice to stay outside the expat type places and visit the "real" Thailand.

For those of us that live here on a long term basis it's good to hit the expat type places once in a while, even once a month, to get back to our roots.

To say that you would never go to lower suk/ KSR is, as Oxford Will pointed out is like some miserable old get in 1960s saying they would never go to Soho or Carnaby in London.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

If you have been coming on holiday to Thailand for 30 years (you stated in a rect post that your Thai wife lived with you in Europe for thirty years) it's nice to stay outside the expat type places and visit the "real" Thailand.

For those of us that live here on a long term basis it's good to hit the expat type places once in a while, even once a month, to get back to our roots.

To say that you would never go to lower suk/ KSR is, as Oxford Will pointed out is like some miserable old get in 1960s saying they would never go to Soho or Carnaby in London.

Geekfreaklover,

I really don't have to go lower suk/ KSR, simply because we have the same in my home town Antwerp with the same type of Thai girls and many other nationality's.

In my younger day's (some 40 years ago) I was a notorious member of that scene, so I saw and experienced at all, and not only in my home town or country but all over Europe :o , so I'm not that easy to be trilled anymore.

Therefore I would find it rather sad that a man my age has no other way's than to spend his time in places like that. He can only make a fool of himself over there. When I was young my friends and I make jokes about them, so I know how foolish I will look, the same way as the 60 year old's who are walking or sitting on the breakfast table in an 4 star hotel somewhere in Thailand with a girl more than half their age, dressed in sexy mini skirts. Many times they even make grimaces on his back.

From previous topics I know that you're a man with some intelligence so therefore you will know what I mean when I tell, that you don't have to go to Nightclubs, brothels or massage parlours to find some additional happiness who will cost you nothing and don't create any hassles.

And I have a few old friends from back home, with the same background who are living in Thailand for more than 20 years, so with them I can discus politics and other issues, once in a while we have dinner with our wives in some good restaurant. So I don't need the expat scene at all. We even have an official International Flemish organisation (professional expat), sponsored by the Flemish government) who organize many activities and support, even there I'm not a member.

Maybe I'm not in for too much socializing to hear the same boring stories over and over again.

Geekfreaklover,

I really don't have to go lower suk/ KSR, simply because we have the same in my home town Antwerp with the same type of Thai girls and many other nationality's.

In my younger day's (some 40 years ago) I was a notorious member of that scene, so I saw and experienced at all, and not only in my home town or country but all over Europe :o , so I'm not that easy to be trilled anymore.

Therefore I would find it rather sad that a man my age has no other way's than to spend his time in places like that. He can only make a fool of himself over there. When I was young my friends and I make jokes about them, so I know how foolish I will look, the same way as the 60 year old's who are walking or sitting on the breakfast table in an 4 star hotel somewhere in Thailand with a girl more than half their age, dressed in sexy mini skirts. Many times they even make grimaces on his back.

From previous topics I know that you're a man with some intelligence so therefore you will know what I mean when I tell, that you don't have to go to Nightclubs, brothels or massage parlours to find some additional happiness who will cost you nothing and don't create any hassles.

And I have a few old friends from back home, with the same background who are living in Thailand for more than 20 years, so with them I can discus politics and other issues, once in a while we have dinner with our wives in some good restaurant. So I don't need the expat scene at all. We even have an official International Flemish organisation (professional expat), sponsored by the Flemish government) who organize many activities and support, even there I'm not a member.

Maybe I'm not in for too much socializing to hear the same boring stories over and over again.

nice post honest ...im goin 36 soon but when im your age i think ill feel something like that,living the quiet normal life ..well i still hope to be enjoying myself at the thai bike weeks......i agree with you there is only so much you can take of those places sometimes.once in a while is good but not every night if you were living in thailand full time.....

Geekfreaklover,

Good response,

Thanks for that..

I know what you mean about the old chaps with young girls sharing a brunch on the huntsman terrace. But the thing is personally I ENJOY watching these sights. I enjoy watching drunken tourists serpintine down Sukhumvit road. I enjoy watching the street hookers the transexuals and tranvestites and the working girls. I even enjoy watching the tout with his fold out brochure showing a heathen of breast enhanced women that could give you a wash wax and polish for a couple of thousand baht. I do not take part but it fascinates me. It's like I imagine London to be 150 years ago, with neon lights.

I guess I am a voyeur of the seedy underbelly of Bangkok.

All material that is going into my next novel.

GFL

Edited by Geekfreaklover

i have been accused of being an elitist, so instead of just making broad based accusations I am coming to ask for opinions and try to put myself in other people's shoes to better understand them instead of just assuming everyone is simply below me in terms of intelligence/class.

i was in the lower Sukhumwit area recently and i had not been there since perhaps the first week i was in Thailand several years ago. It did not do much for me then, so I guess its not a big surprise that it did not do anything for me again this time.

What I observe:

All of the girls in these bars are unattractive.

The bars are dumpy and low class.

There are obnoxious touts trying to grab you.

There are people everywhere trying to sell you stuff.

The customers give off a sense of hopeless desperation.

All of the Thai vendors, touts, and employees give off a sense of hopeless desperation.

What I don't get is,

1. What do the millions of farang tourists coming here for this get out of it?

2. Why is the whole industry devoid of any sense of class or customer respect?

I generally agree with all of your comments minus one...

I believe that there are in fact a lot of attractive girls that work down there and that would most likely be the answer to your later question about why people go there. Some are just looking for fun, others looking for love (although they are likely to only find the illusion of love, but for some even that is enough).

I personally think that for the the rest of the reasons mentioned and more importantly, the fact that I am married means that I have no desire to go to that part of town.

That being said, I make no judgements about those who do. As long as both parties are consenting adults, I don't see any problem with it. Different strokes for different folks...

Every once in a while when a customer comes in from out of town and he is into that scene I take him down there, but most of our customers aren't, so I don't.

i have been accused of being an elitist, so instead of just making broad based accusations I am coming to ask for opinions and try to put myself in other people's shoes to better understand them instead of just assuming everyone is simply below me in terms of intelligence/class.

i was in the lower Sukhumwit area recently and i had not been there since perhaps the first week i was in Thailand several years ago. It did not do much for me then, so I guess its not a big surprise that it did not do anything for me again this time.

What I observe:

All of the Thai vendors, touts, and employees give off a sense of hopeless desperation.

What I don't get is,

If you hang around in some of the places that I am guessing you are talking about such as Nana, then you can't really expect much more. I drink in a bar on in Sukhumvit, that is frequented by expats and a mixture of local professionals. Very nice place, with lots of very normal people. some have high flying jobs, others are working as teachers.It's often a league of nations, with a group of us talking from a number of different countries. It's a very plesant mix, and I certainly haven't found any knuckle draggers in this bar, but then it's a normal bar, without the extra services that seem to be on offer in the places that you hang out.

I think it is you that has a problem.

Everybody has a story to tell and everybody has the right to lead their own life. Just because they don't fit your perception of "class" doesn't mean they should be classified as some kind of sub-species.

I'll talk to anybody be they an unemployed bricklayer or a CEO of a multinational corporation. I frequent all manner of establishments from the seedy beer bars up to the five star establishments. I do not judge people I have never met nor have any knowledge of lest they similarly judge me. I go through life affording all people I meet the respect and attention they deserve and that I would like them to afford myself.

If I enjoy someone's company I will make an effort to meet up with them again, if not I will quietly avoid them as I would expect them to do the same.

Your OP seems to be based entirely on your observations. Did you not sit down at one of these places and take the time to interact with the people you decry? Or did you merely observe much as a scientist observes creatures in a petri dish, distant and aloof?

Some of life's richest experiences can be had in the most unlikely of places provided we put aside our predujices and preconceptions.

Wow.

Awesome, thought provoking and relevant post.

A farang I'd be happy to meet and have a drink with. :-)

Well said, and seconded.

It is bound to get shot down in flames though, by outraged expats who live here for 25 years whilst hating it, and think that anyone with tolerance and respect who takes the time to get to know people is some sort of effeminate idealist.

Well posted!

The very fact that you are compelled to visit this area, and then focus on bars and bargirls (unnatractive ones at that!) should be enough to answer your own question...

why not go to Chaing Mai,Chain Rai...Hua Hin, koh whatever (plenty of 'em), do a bit of snorkelling,kayaking, whatever..

see some of nature and real people.

Hanging around places where farang act badly...what do you expect?

A walk from Nana to Asok gives me the creeps, just expired bar girls, touts and cheap quality street vendors, fat, sweaty, ugly, horny foreigners and a lot of <deleted> sleaze and dirt. Bottomline is...not my cup of tea. I do like the walking street in Pattaya, though.

are you taking the piss or what!!???

:o

A walk from Nana to Asok gives me the creeps, just expired bar girls, touts and cheap quality street vendors, fat, sweaty, ugly, horny foreigners and a lot of <deleted> sleaze and dirt. Bottomline is...not my cup of tea. I do like the walking street in Pattaya, though.

are you taking the piss or what!!???

:D

You can.t beat a kerb crawler with class! :o

I have to say I have met some of the most memorable people in seedier places, and I remain fascinated by the stories of the girls who work there and have formed many friendships in these areas which I value just as I have in more "classy" places. There is absolutely no relation between wealth/position and potential value as a friend or one off experience. One must speak Thai to really benefit although plenty of interesting westerners and also I find many of the african gentlemen around soi 3 to have had fascinating lives, once they learn they have no money to make out of you and you are no threat to them, and everyone relaxes a little.

Edited by OxfordWill

Wish my old buddy was reading this drivel.His wealth is about 20 million gbp and he loves seedy lol.I once had to nearly slap him in Liverpool because he was trying to get in a taxi and pick a hooker up from the docks.He goes into typical in your face bars and doesnt care much for class,hi-so elitist,a truly remarkable friend.

Glad he hasnt come here yet as he wouldnt stand much for this class problem with thai AND farangs in this crazy country

What I observe:

What I don't get is,

wow..!

I could have written that post myself on a bad day!

I generally stay far away from lower sukhumvit and khaosan road.

Agreed about the girls, its the leftovers from thais and japs that go there, but most wouldnt know..

Hey, you forgot to mention the disgusting ladyboys..

Nothing worse than an out-of-season beer bar with television.

Never been to Pattaya, seems a bit too in your face, sort of like Disneyland on viagra.

I don't feel comfortable in hi-class, hi-so... hi gohok.

Geekfreaklover,

Good response,

Thanks for that..

I know what you mean about the old chaps with young girls sharing a brunch on the huntsman terrace. But the thing is personally I ENJOY watching these sights. I enjoy watching drunken tourists serpintine down Sukhumvit road. I enjoy watching the street hookers the transexuals and tranvestites and the working girls. I even enjoy watching the tout with his fold out brochure showing a heathen of breast enhanced women that could give you a wash wax and polish for a couple of thousand baht. I do not take part but it fascinates me. It's like I imagine London to be 150 years ago, with neon lights.

GFL

what stopping you from taking part?

Nothing worse than an out-of-season beer bar with television.

Never been to Pattaya, seems a bit too in your face, sort of like Disneyland on viagra.

I don't feel comfortable in hi-class, hi-so... hi gohok.

I lived on soi 8 for several years with wife and daughters and yes if one thinks of soi C :o owboy, Nana Plaza, Thurmies, and of course not forgetting all those places, mostly on the odd numbered side around the low low numbers then according to ones taste they may well be a bit sordid but the majority of falangs drinking in these places are holiday makers and to a lot "any hole is a goal" and why not, if you don't want leprosy don't go to a leper colony, so why do you go to these low class places, are you really researching a book?, I have to admit to frequenting The Huntsman most nights I'm in Bangkok but of course thats only for the great group they have, the phillipino one that is.

Geekfreaklover,

Good response,

Thanks for that..

GFL

what stopping you from taking part?

cashflow.

i have been accused of being an elitist,

Yea, anyone who can't find a way to enjoy the lower Suk on an occasional basis is indeed an elitist. Although it is not my normal cup of tea, how can one not find it highly entertaining once every year or two? There are plenty of attractive women dressed to the nines, at least by bar-girl standards, going to "work" and a never ending supply of colorful and eccentric men with stories to tell, few bearing any truth, but fun to listen to nonetheless. And for some of us, there is a nostalgia element as well, harkening back to the days when we were more youthful and still single. I have been having a beer at the same outdoor bar at the entrance to Nana Plaza since before the first go-go establishment opened up to replace the tailor shops that once dominated the complex. On my next visit to the Bangkok, I am sure I will have another beer there, around 5:00PM when the parade to work begins. As Trink, the original old coot would say, "Its a hoot".

I do think the OP is being a bit of an elitist here, speaking as someone who lives in the area in question...

As in....

While I don't frequent their services, I can attest from personal observation that there are quite a few quite lovely young women to be found around Soi Cowboy, particularly IMHO, inside Baccarat and a few others there. But not sure if the OP considers that "lower Sukhumvit"

"disgusting ladyboys"???? Being a bit judgmental here, aren't we??? While not my cup of tea, I nonetheless find it quite interesting to live in a country (and a neighborhood) where even the Thai women often think that the local ladyboys are more beautiful than they are.... Plastic surgery reaching amazing new heights.... But calling folks of a different sexual orientation "disgusting"???

And ohh... perish the thought, a place where people are trying to sell you things on the street as you're walking? You mean, like the famous Chatuchak Market? Or any of the night markets spread all over Bangkok and Thailand? But in reality, you can apply that same setting to virtually any tourist area around Thailand for sure... Pattaya... Phuket.... and on and on... Where there are tourists, there are sellers.

As for "desperation", indeed, these are hard times with the economy for many farang and Thai folks also, maybe even headed toward getting harder ahead still. Given the way things have played out in recent months, that's probably a description that could be applied to pretty much anyone working within or depending upon Thailand's beleaguered tourism industry.

I've lived here awhile now... I don't much frequent bars or the ladies who work in them. But nonetheless, I think it's an entertaining, interesting, easygoing urban place to live. Only been grabbed on the street once by a hooker, and she was drunk and it was raining hard that night. Never been grabbed or accosted by a street seller. And the guy with the nudie DVD brochure gave up on me the fourth or fifth time I walked by and waved him off. After that, never even asked again....

Geekfreaklover,

Good response,

Thanks for that..

GFL

I think you have the correct attitude.

I enjoy meeting all the vest wearing Ex Special Forces guys here in Pattaya who are retired - great conversation :o

i couldnt agree more with you,ive met at least 150 ex sas soldiers in pattaya,nutters most of them trying to impress but i dont think they realise actually what most people think of them..lol