Where To Buy A Vespa

girlx

I saw a 1964 completley restored Vespa for sale in the Thai Visa classified section today ...45,000 Baht I think, but its in Chonburi.

Quite a way to go to collect it, but you probably would not lose any money when it came to selling it

Depends what you are looking for I suppose, but those old ones certainly have a lot of charm

"Dealer full of Vespas on the road to Nong Hoi."

What a cool dearler it is. Wife and I stopped one day to look some over. They had some real nice restored ones costing up to B85k.

Most were in the 40k 50ks.

Nice owner guy too.

On gpdjohn's recommendation I bought from Suchart's shop a few weeks ago. He didn't have any fully restored models for sale, but had one that was mechanically if not cosmetically sound. After purchase, I had a few small issues (flat tire, broken clutch line, oil leaked out). Each time, they dispatched a mechanic to the bike and either took care of it there or brought the bike back to the shop themselves. And they repaired it for free.

Left the bike there a few days ago to have it restored from the ground up.

I recommend the place.

• Like 1

I live in Chiangmai and want a Vespa, but have a concern that has prevented me from buying one yet. It is, what gasohol will do to a Vespa's engine. Anyone know? Gdpjohn, mild7even, Greenside or anyone else, have you spoken with the owner of Suchart about this?

Edited by Rasseru

I live in Chiangmai and want a Vespa, but have a concern that has prevented me from buying one yet. It is, what gasohol will do to a Vespa's engine. Anyone know? Gdpjohn, mild7even, Greenside or anyone else, have you spoken with the owner of Suchart about this?

I do not know. I have to talk to Suchart real soon, so I will ask for ya.

As far as expense of gasoline goes....mine takes 91 and I haven't filled it up in 4 weeks and ride it daily.

I have one in the states as well ( '05 PX150, last of the classic style ) and same there..would only cost me around 8 bucks a month for fuel.

Or is it the "2 stroke blue smoke" thangy? The newer ones have catalitic convertors on 'em to reduce the amout of emissions. ( California will no longer register 2 strokes ) But to find a "newer" one, you'd have to buy in Vietnam, ( no, not a "bode" Vespa..i.e. a vietnamese restored, dangerous crap) they have new Vespa dealers there, where Thailand does not.

Dolce Vita

Ciao!

~ John

I do not know. I have to talk to Suchart real soon, so I will ask for ya.

Cheers, gdpjohn. No worries about petrol expense or the blue smoke thangy, rather whether the engine will hold up without gaskets being eaten away, and so forth.

I have had three vespa's ,a 200 and two 125's

I had a blowout at about 60 kph It cured me of Vespas.

I did not wreck but these bikes will track sideways.

These motorbikes with small tires do not due well in the unlikley event of a flat.

They are pretty but just a little Fyi

I have had flats on other 15 inch rimed bikes that were uneventful.

Rass, you can still buy 91 benzene (and 95 as well) at many places here in CM. I run 91 gas in all my bikes.

The widely published plan to eliminate this fuel has been pushed back.

Shell Thailand just announced it will be marketing 95 benzene "V-Power" (their brand name) countrywide.

Soooo, will we see you soon on your new Vespa, with raccoon tail flying from a 5 foot aerial whip? :o

Rass, you can still buy 91 benzene (and 95 as well) at many places here in CM. I run 91 gas in all my bikes.

The widely published plan to eliminate this fuel has been pushed back.

. . . Soooo, will we see you soon on your new Vespa, with raccoon tail flying from a 5 foot aerial whip? :o

Pushed back is not the same as will never happen. Soooo, as I will want to ride it for a long time as well as a good time, the possibility of your seeing me on my new Vespa still depends on a resolution of my concern about gasohol in Vespa engines.

Girlx try and find yourself a newer autolube electric start Vespa as you will find it much easier to maintain and handle.

The whole "Vespa Classic" thing can wear off pretty fast otherwise.

So true. One must keep in mind that the classics are that. Old and need tender loving care.

Girlx try and find yourself a newer autolube electric start Vespa as you will find it much easier to maintain and handle.

hrmmm any tips on models to look for? i am in singapore now but will be back there in a few weeks to look.

p.s. i am not ashamed to admit that i want a vespa because of the "cool" factor (have wanted one for years that i can pimp out), but i know very little about what to get. i actually prefer lambrettas, are there many of those around?

Edited by girlx

hrmmm any tips on models to look for? i am in singapore now but will be back there in a few weeks to look.

p.s. i am not ashamed to admit that i want a vespa because of the "cool" factor (have wanted one for years that i can pimp out), but i know very little about what to get. i actually prefer lambrettas, are there many of those around?

Yes, there are Lammies here. Do not know what quality you'd get in one though. Lambretta is again being manufactured but it's not even close to the good old ones. No more LI for example...( no looking like Jimmy Cooper anymore :o )

Vespa-

I would look for a nice Primivera 125 or any 150. Loads of 'em here.

and

If you happen to see one of these, PM me ASAP cause I'll buy it.

post-46099-1236437387_thumb.jpg

i have a gp 200 in england always loved lambrettas , i know they are a bit crap mechanically but they look sooo cool. there used to be a shop selling lammys up by the president hotel but they built a temple on it ,they moved across the road for a while but i dont know where they are now. i saw an li 150 in a garden down past mad dog last year was going to go in and ask if it was for sale but went to the half moon for breakfast and forgot doh . good luck finding one let us know how you get on.

You should go talk to the Vespa folks there. Get some advice from the horses mouth. I have never dealt with 'em, but here's the info,

Piaggio Service Center

19 Genting Rd Singapore, phone is 65 6547 4466

They have the PX 150 . Nice scoot..electric start, autoinject oil ( no mixing ) turn indicators, mirrors, and new but still looks, well like a classic P ...

post-46099-1236440058_thumb.jpg

Well, actually more like this....

I had one of these purchased new from

http://www.scootersquare.com/

it was only 70,000 baht !!! , around 8 years ago

Now they are very hard to find as they are were totally legal imports with all the correct documents

Sure regret selling it once I got bored with it.

The same dealer often has some 2nd hand Vespa's in stock , although they are in Bangkok they supply all the spare parts to the Chaing Mai dealer and every other province of Thailand.

Try and find a newer PX150 with electric start and auto lube (otherwise you will be mixing oil into the gas tank and dealing with kick starting)

Not quite an easy find but it will be a more reliable machine than one of the old classics that can be very temperamental.

Unless you like temperamental and pushing a dead bike around in the heat , then go for a Lambretta :o

Go past Wat PhaPao at the top NE corner of the inner canal heading EAST thru the lights towards the US Embassy. Vespas are sold on the left of the road just past the tfc lights at the canal. Another shop selling Vespas is on the left of the road heading S from Narawat Bridge just past Rimping store on the road beside the Mae Ping, near Gawila garrison. They may or may not still be there, as I haven't taken particular notice of them recently. Good luck.

Edited by jingjoke

Yes, there are Lammies here. Do not know what quality you'd get in one though. Lambretta is again being manufactured but it's not even close to the good old ones. No more LI for example...( no looking like Jimmy Cooper anymore :o )

Vespa-

and

Problem I see with that one Johnnie...no seat for insistent navigators/cheerleaders

Yes, there are Lammies here. Do not know what quality you'd get in one though. Lambretta is again being manufactured but it's not even close to the good old ones. No more LI for example...( no looking like Jimmy Cooper anymore :D )

Vespa-

and

Problem I see with that one Johnnie...no seat for insistent navigators/cheerleaders

Exactly Jack, room for one only.

:o

no more "turn here" or "turn there" or "you missed it" or any other of a million possibilities of what I had just done wrong... :D

This is one I would not give the "pole v Vespa test" to!