Scam Alert In The Classifieds

H2oDunc

Hi, Im always interested in some of the jobs you see offered here in Thailand. There have been several in the Thai Visa classified section. This latest one caught my eye. Data entry clerks working from home. The say you can earn from 250 GBP's to 500 GBP's per week. Thats considered a god wage back there never mind here. All working from home. I thought I would find out the catch, I know cynical Git, I sent an email and received this response. I have deleted the email addresses

Sent: 04 March 2009 15:42

To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Data entry jobs

The position for Data Entry Clerk/ Typist that you inquired about does require you to have a computer with email access and a working knowledge of the Internet with connection. You can begin working FT or PT, the choice is up to you. You will need good typing skills for this position. You will be processing orders from your own computer via your email. This work-from-home opportunity will make you real money. You will not have to contact anyone; you will be contacted through your email.

Now you must be willing to work as with any job, and it does require some time and effort to be successful. You will be paid 1500 baht for each order you process

5 For example: if you process 10 orders a week, you will make 15,000 baht weekly.

The amount of money you can make is virtually endless. It only depends on the time and effort you put in.

There is a ?One Time Fee? of 1500 baht to begin. This is the cost of the Training Materials.

6 The Training Materials give you the step-by-step instructions on how YOU get started.

When you receive your Training Materials you may begin working that very same day.

Once you have processed your first order, you will have already made back the cost of your Training Materials. You will receive your Training Materials through your email. This work-from-home opportunity is legitimate, and how successful you are only depends on the time and effort you put in.

I am here to help you get started and answer any questions that you may have.

If you are serious, and are willing to put forth some time and effort, then I look very forward to hearing from you again. Then please send a blank email to the address below with the word ?PAYMENT? in the subject box. I will then send you instructions on how to pay your one time fee after which you will be emailed your training materials and can start work immediately. And if you are not happy with the training manual a refund will be refunded back to you.

Thank you,

Thomas Clark

Human Resources

EMAIL: [email protected]

Now I know most people out there would just bin the reply but I know lots of people have fallen for this type of scam back in the UK.

For me the first give away is the email address. A hotmail account. Now any reputable company would have a company address. The other was the One off payment. Yeah right.

Maybe the Mods might like to take a look at it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Data-Entry-C...me-t167711.html

Cheers :o

Couple of weeks ago i responded to an ad from someone selling puppies on Thaivisa. Got a very long email reply explaining that the pups were in fact in Nigeria and the owner was willing to have them sent to me in Thailand for free if i could give them a good home!

The gall of these people is incredible.

Ad now gone from link provided.

IMHO sounded like some form of a Pyramid scheme

Didn't sound as "sophisticated" or elaborate as a pyramind scheme. More like a blatant rip off - you send us money and then you never hear from us again scheme, more like.

Edited by rixalex

Couple of weeks ago i responded to an ad from someone selling puppies on Thaivisa. Got a very long email reply explaining that the pups were in fact in Nigeria and the owner was willing to have them sent to me in Thailand for free if i could give them a good home!

Wasn't the Yorkie ad was it?? Had them telling me they were in China... :o

To the OP - just tell them they can take the training fee out of your first order is processed. Seeing as everything would be pdf or scanned, can't see them coming up with an argument about losing money sending them to you. Nothing like a sign of goodwill to start things off. I can't help but notice the "YOU" in capitals about getting started.

LOL. Yes it was! Those pups are obviously on some sort of a world tour!

Their stories have gone from far-fetched to preposterous!

The classifieds forum has report buttons, the separate classifieds site does not. But everything in the classifieds site is listed in the classified forum so you can use the report button there. Or, if you'd prefer, email support (at) thaivisa.com

Speaking of the ads, am i just being stupid or is there no way that it's possible to just look at all of the latest ads from all catagories? It seems that you are only able to see the latest 10 ads and if you wish to see anymore, it means going through each section individually, which would be very time-consuming. Why isn't there a category that amalgamates everything together?

i have my house for sale on TV classifieds and about once a week i get an email from someone pretending to be interested. i send the usual info and get the usual Nigerian, 'send me your bank info and i'll send you my $17,000,000' email!

Just as a follow up to the original post I heard from TOM today. He sent me this email. You have to love em for trying ha ha ha ha

Am sorry I did not inform you about my Trip to Europe for a program called Empowering the Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, and Lack of Education, the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe which are Holland, Turkey and England. But I am presently in London England now Unfortunately all my money and traveling documents were stolen in my hotel room during a robbery incident in the hotel where I lodged. I am so confused now; I don't know what to do, that is why I decide to contact you for urgent assistance. I need soft loan of £1.400 Pounds? Please I want to use it to sort-out my hotel bills and buy my return ticket. I promise as soon as am back from this trip I will refund the money back to you, But if you can not come up with the amount Please send what you can afford through Western Union or Money Gram with the info below.

Name:Tom Clark

Address: 2-24 Kensington High St

Zip code: W8 4

PT

Test Question: To whom?

Answer:

Amount send £?

Once you have it sent, please send me the money transfer control number (MTCN), with details used in sending it. I will be expecting your mail as soon as possible

Regards,

I've been told by err in dorre Im stupid sometimes but I don't think I'll ever be that stupid :o

LOL. Yes it was! Those pups are obviously on some sort of a world tour!

Their stories have gone from far-fetched to preposterous!

You know, the sad thing is that people actually fall for this kind of crap. I would be embarassed even if I was all by myself to do something as incredibly assanine as that.

Only one worse I can think of usually begins with something like:

Kind Sir, PLEASE HELP!!! H.E. DR. Ahkbar Duh Retard - Former President - Bank of WannaBlowME was my husband and put 600 Bahzillion US dollars in an offshore suitcase, please pay the shipping and storage fee after you send us all your personal and bank account information and we will let you keep 90% of it... blah, blah, blah,..

Signed, [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...
Ad now gone from link provided.

IMHO sounded like some form of a Pyramid scheme

Didn't sound as "sophisticated" or elaborate as a pyramind scheme. More like a blatant rip off - you send us money and then you never hear from us again scheme, more like.

No its the old envolope stuffing scheme...

You send them money, they send you the training that says "Do what I just did to get you to send me money, each person dumb enough to send you money you send them this same training material...."

Just as a follow up to the original post I heard from TOM today. He sent me this email. You have to love em for trying ha ha ha ha

Am sorry I did not inform you about my Trip to Europe for a program called Empowering the Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, and Lack of Education, the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe which are Holland, Turkey and England. But I am presently in London England now Unfortunately all my money and traveling documents were stolen in my hotel room during a robbery incident in the hotel where I lodged. I am so confused now; I don't know what to do, that is why I decide to contact you for urgent assistance. I need soft loan of £1.400 Pounds? Please I want to use it to sort-out my hotel bills and buy my return ticket. I promise as soon as am back from this trip I will refund the money back to you, But if you can not come up with the amount Please send what you can afford through Western Union or Money Gram with the info below.

Name:Tom Clark

Address: 2-24 Kensington High St

Zip code: W8 4

PT

Test Question: To whom?

Answer:

Amount send £?

Once you have it sent, please send me the money transfer control number (MTCN), with details used in sending it. I will be expecting your mail as soon as possible

Regards,

I've been told by err in dorre Im stupid sometimes but I don't think I'll ever be that stupid :D

I actually would email him back with fake MTCN saying you have just send him 2k loan. After he's been in WU office go on with endless explanations how there has been delays in WU end sending him back to WU at least once a day :o