Safe Parking In Nong Khai

Eddie67

Hello. I am planning to go from Chiang Mai to Vientiene to get myself a tourist visa.

I want to rent a car in CM, drive to Nong Khai, and park it there for 3 days while I am in Laos.

Can anyone recommend a place?

Can be for a fee, of course, looking for a safe place..

Regards

Eddie.

Parking near the bridge is a problem but it could be to your benefit. Just as you approach the check point there is some shop houses on the right, normally if you try to park there they touch you up for about 40 Baht (I believe the charge is illegal) but the area always manned so I reccon for 100Baht a day the car will be quite safe. There is a compound there as well. Worth a look and very close to the bridge.

I left my car for a few days in Nong Khai Grand (hotel) parking area (free), and was picked up and driven to the border/guided through the immigration by a travel agent who fixed all papers.

Hello. I am planning to go from Chiang Mai to Vientiene to get myself a tourist visa.

I want to rent a car in CM, drive to Nong Khai, and park it there for 3 days while I am in Laos.

Can anyone recommend a place?

Can be for a fee, of course, looking for a safe place..

Regards

Eddie.

Last time I parked my car on the grounds of the Immigration Police.

The one you have to go for your extensions & all.

No problem at all!

Edited by hansnl

Thanks, everyone. I will try what you suggested.

I specially liked parking with the police, excellent idea, should be safe there. Very good!

Regards

Eddie.

There's a caged parking area right there at the van station, the place where you pay your baht 10-20 for a van seat to Thai Immigration at the bridge then across to Thannaleng. I've been parking there for 14 years or so for from overnight to a full week. Last 7-day parking was in early December 2008, baht 100/day, but perhaps the ticket guy took pity on my and only hit me up for baht 100 (or perhaps he couldn't count?).

Never had a problem, recommend this place, especially as it's handy to regular transport across to the Lao side.

Mac