Flight Connection In India 10 Hour Wait

Hi all I'm flying jetairways to the UK but I have a 10 hour wait at Mumbia airport for my connecting flight,

I have read different reports about needing a transit visa to stay in the departures lounge?

Does anyone know if this is true , It would be a first for me I have never had to have a transit visa,unless I wanted to leave the Airport.

Any help would be greatly received

Colino

Take a good book!

Mumbai airport is not the most pleasant place to stay, the bars are expensive and a lot of renovation work is going on leading to a lack of seating.

WiFi (free) used to be available but I couldn't connect when I was there in January so maybe it's now defunct :o

No Colino .... You do not require a VISA unless ( as pointed out in earlier post... ) you pass through immigration to enter the city.

Mumbai Airport is undergoing mordernization. Having said that there is no dirth of good restaurants & bars to provide you a relaxing time.

Enjoy your stop-over in Mumbai...

Wonder though...... the flight must really cost peanuts for you to decide this route. In 10 hours + travel time BKK - MUM you would have been well home !! :o

You can find some useful information at http://www.csia.in/terminal1.asp

Cheers & have a safe flight !

post-10998-1236506632_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just an update on staying at Mumbia for 10 + hours :D:D:o

Man what a HOLE

Still building the duty free No news agents crap food , No smoking Even took my lighter off me .

Then a Little Indian guy says you can pay for the Lounge 2000 Rupees and smoke but buy a beer as well. 450 Rupees for a fosters .

The place is a building site and no free WiFi (you were right crossy)

The airport does have loungers to stretch out on and free laptop and phone charging stations

But Jet airways was top notch .

Colino

Man what a HOLE

You might find it hard to believe but the Mumbai Airport is actually quite improved over how it was just a few years ago. That said, I'd still have to say "no thanks" to ten hours in the terminal! :D

I flew out with them and made a detailed report here. My layover was about 2 hours and that was too long. I wouldn't transit for 10 hours in Singapore nevermind some 3rd world craphole.

One of my arguments over the years has been that the cost savings going indirect are at least part eroded by the expenses incurred by having to hang around.

Man what a HOLE

Still building the duty free No news agents crap food , No smoking Even took my lighter off me .

Then a Little Indian guy says you can pay for the Lounge 2000 Rupees and smoke but buy a beer as well. 450 Rupees for a fosters .

The airport does have loungers to stretch out on and free laptop and phone charging stations

Colino

I've also heard good things about Jet Airways.

In your opinion, what was good about them?

Ta

Man what a HOLE

Colino

Ta

I travelled in cattle, class the seats were more roomy than Qatar or Gulf and the food was realy good and loads of it, also the air crew did a good job, quick service ,

plenty of drinks and the in-flight entertainment was excellent , better pillows and blankets, it was just a shame that jet didn't let the 5 people that had the lay over into thier lounge.

Colino

Ta

I have used Jet Airways twice in the last six weeks from Bangkok to London and back. In the last ten years I have only flown with Thai Airways, which has provided me with lots of benefits and Gold status in their frequent flyer programme.

However, Thai Airways' prices have become so extortionate that it forced me to look for a cheaper alternative.

So I too tried Jet Airways, in economy, via Bombay. I bought a one way BKK-LHR for £226.00 all in. The fare I booked was with a stop-over in Bombay for 10+ hours, but I thought save the money. When I came off the aircraft in Bombay, I was met by a Jet Airways passenger service manager, who asked me if I would like to join their earlier flight to London, which was due to depart within one hour of my arrival in Bombay. Of course I did. He asked me to stand aside for a few minutes. He returned within five minutes with a new boarding pass and new luggage tags, as they had also transferred my cases (of course). It meant that I arrived in London some 12 hours earlier than I had expected. They offered the same to about 5 other passengers. A nice touch, thank you Jet Airways.

I found all the aircraft to be very new, modern, clean with very good in flight entertainment, which was in the seat-backs, rather than big screen as on Thai. The food was excellent and as another poster says; plenty of it, with lots of drinks. I found all the cabin staff on all flights very polite, pleasant and extremely accommodating, helpful and smiling all the time. Announcements were clear and professional. The cabins were very nicely lit during the flight segments in the dark.

Luggage allowance for any low price economy ticket is a standard 28KG.

As I had decided to buy a return ticket from the UK, (because of price) I looked around the various web-sites in the UK and managed to book another (one year) return flight with Jet Airways in economy for £419.00. Return date can be changed free of charge. Thai Airways wanted £757.00 for the same itinerary and only valid 3 months.

When I flew back from London to Bangkok last Thursday (26th) I was allowed 35 KG of check-in luggage, I don't know why. I think something to do with their frequent flyer programme. The stop-over was only 1 hour and 40 minutes.

On both journeys I have not experienced the Mumbai air terminal, as I had to walk straight from one gate to the next.

The only criticism I have is the security check at Mumbai airport, when you arrive and have to get into the terminal building; what a chaotic mess!!

Otherwise top marks for Jet Airways.

Frm-Bkk

Edited by FRM-BKK

To the poster who would not transit 10 hours through singapore, are you crazy? A 10 hour transit is a nightmare where ever you are but Changi airport is really one of the top 5 in the world. I don't know to many airports where you can use a nice open air swimming pool when you transit like in Singapore.

To the OP who transited through Mumbai, yes it is a complete hole. But if you think that the airport is bad, cross immergration and see what a REAL hole is. I was in Mumbai last year and it was easily the worse business trip I have ever done. I would not go back especially after the recent troubles.

Jet Airways however is a very decent airline!! :o