New Wireless Adsl Router: Recommendations?

Crushdepth

I need to get a new wireless ADSL router for my mixed wired/wireless network at home. Anyone got suggestions on 'the latest and greatest' models?

* We have a mix of b/g/n wireless stuff.

* Prefer gigabit ethernet ports as there will be a NAS strapped to it.

* Dual WAN ports / load balancing might be useful (apparently our new condo is in an 'internet challenged' area).

Also, DHCP that *actually works* when WPA encryption is turned on would be a bonus (this has been a problem in every wireless device I ever owned!).

Guest Reimar

I wouldn't use a wireless router! Instead use an ADSL 2+ modem router and an extra WiFi Access point 108 Mbps.

In config's like that I prefer to use Level One hardware which has some advantage over the most other staff. One of that advantages is the use of IP Cameras and Remote Admin!

Maybe you go to the Level One website for to get more infos.

Cheers.

Apparently there is no such thing a WiFi-N, gigabit router with ADSL modem in Thailand. Or, in Singapore where I shopped around. You can find modems with two of the three criteria, but not all three. In the UK and AUS Belkin markets the N1 Vision Modem Router, but elsewhere in the world, it's lacking the modem.

If you DO find a WiFi-N, gigabit router with ADSL modem, I'd appreciate knowing what and where you found it.

Reimar is probably right. I would get a separate ADSL modem and then concentrate on finding a router that has your specific requirements. But I would personally stay away from anything that has Belkin on the box. My personal experience with bad product and everything I have since read will keep me from any Belkin device.

Thanks. I was looking at the WRT610N wireless b/g/n gigabit router. It doesn't have a modem built in, as someone said above (came as a bit of a suprise to me, I thought it was a standard 'feature').

I have no clue about ADSL (2+?) modems at all, guess I'll be doing a bit more reading. Is there any major difference between brands for those, or are they kind of generic boxes?

^On the subject of Zyxel modems, if anyone knows of any special procedure required to completely reset a P600 (the one True provide) to factory settings, I would appreciate the info. I've tried all the usual methods (holding down the button at the back with a pen etc.), but even though the thing appears to recycle, it still retains all the info. The problem arose when I made what I thought was the reasonable assumption that disabling remote management would lock out just the WAN and the wireless access part of the LAN. Instead it completely locked access to the configuration from anywhere (i.e. the ethernet port). I've switched back to my own Netgear router, which I actually far prefer, but I wouldn't mind getting the Zyxel working to use as a backup.

I like routers that will take open firmwares

just put what ever modems you use into bridge mode and control your connection from the router.

I have a couple of setups with openVPN servers and clients running on the routers so there is just a transparent VPN tunnel between all the sites.

my home 54GL is tomato 1.23 with VPN server , so it is connect via VPN , use the router to issue the WoL to the machine I want to access and then VNC.

I have a spare 54GL which has the SDHC mod done and running openwrt - it is a testbed/learning box.

....my home 54GL is tomato 1.23 with VPN server ...

just did the same setup for a friend's office. i was very impressed with tomato, and it hasn't needed a single reboot since being installed. fast and stable.

Hi Stu. I remembered you mentioned this and the idea of having better firmware appeals to me so I had a look for compatible Linksys routers, but it looks like the more recent versions aren't compatible with tomato anymore. Can you still get them? I would kill for a router that supported openvpn or something like that (not so keen on the proprietary vpns).

I do not believe the 54GL is worthy of consideration when you look at the poster's wish list.

The 54GL definitely would not meet my needs for the wired side of my network as I want gigabit ethernet speeds to the NAS. However, having a VPN would be quite an attractive feature. Since internet speed is quite limited, maybe I could hang a gigabit desktop switch behind the router and plug the NAS into that?

On the subject of Zyxel modems, if anyone knows of any special procedure required to completely reset a P600 (the one True provide) to factory settings,

I don't know how to solve your problem, but frankly I would avoid equipment provided by True. I've had a bit of feedback that indicates that they mess with at least some of the hardware they provide, and that it is somewhat less than an improvement!

Guest Reimar

I can only second what Crushdepth wrote! True is modifying the firmware from them products and limiting the use in some ways, beside of that they deliver an Backdoor Trojan with them Navigator as well!!

Products from the low and lower medium class are the best from Level One from MY experiences. DLink, Belkin and some like that had giving a lot of problems to us in the past. TPLink, a cheap chinese product is working quite well too! And with TPLink you can also use a different Firmware.

If it come to IP Cameras, I would only suggest Level One!

Cheers.

Hi Stu. I remembered you mentioned this and the idea of having better firmware appeals to me so I had a look for compatible Linksys routers, but it looks like the more recent versions aren't compatible with tomato anymore. Can you still get them? I would kill for a router that supported openvpn or something like that (not so keen on the proprietary vpns).

when I was last at Lak Si plaza there were still 54GL's on the shelves for between 1800-1900 baht

Tomato is the slicker interface and if you don't want to tinker too much it is the way to go - the SGTPepperSKU openVPN GUI firmware is the one to get if you want to run an openVPN server ( GUI supports 2 servers and 2 clients )

openwrt seems to support many more System on a Chip units and I have been using x-wrt with it - if you want to get really radical with your router check out http://www.ubnt.com/products/rs.php , you install openwrt on it :o and add whatever you want to the 3 mPCI slots. there is supposed to be a distributor on chang wattana road and I was going to see if they had them and how much.

If you can still find D-Link DSL-G604T routers they ought to be cheap. And they can run OpenWRT via the AR7 platform port, which is what we've been doing for several years. It is just ADSL router plus 4-port 100baseT, and the wireless does not work with OpenWRT (at least not well enough to bother with). We've used it with True and with TOT at 2 Mb/s speeds.

We use this as the always-on router with basic services like dyndns and ssh, and then have a regular 5-port gigabit switch between it and other LAN devices. We still use some of the slower ports on the D-Link for basic things like a networked printer and older PC without a gigabit NIC. We have a separate Buffalo router running OpenWRT as a wireless access point on the LAN, which is also nice because we can put it in the room nearest wireless clients instead of where the D-Link attaches to the ADSL line.

Regarding Zyxel, my anectodal experience is they are probably no better/worse than others for reliability. I need to replace my current Zyxel ADSL modem/router because it drops the ADSL connection randomly, usually after about 30-45 minutes. I've tried resetting it to factory settings, updated to it to latest firmware, and no change, so I'm assuming it's a hardware failure.

My backup currently is to run an older Zyxel modem (no router) that I got with my KSC ADSL account about 5 years ago in Bangkok. It is still going strong, but I now have seven items to plug into a power strip (including the two ugly wall warts for two Zyxel items) if I add in a separate router, so I'm still in search of the replacement modem/router. I could buy another ADSL modem with a/b/g WiFi router with Gigabit wired connections, but it seems to be a bit behind the draft-N curve. Or, I could buy ADSL modem/draft-N WiFi but with only 10/100 wired connections.

I just don't see why nobody puts all three features (1) ADSL modem, (2) draft-N WiFi, and (3) Gigabit wired networking in a single piece of hardware, other than Belkin in UK and AUS?

Regarding Zyxel, my anectodal experience is they are probably no better/worse than others for reliability. I need to replace my current Zyxel ADSL modem/router because it drops the ADSL connection randomly, usually after about 30-45 minutes. I've tried resetting it to factory settings, updated to it to latest firmware, and no change, so I'm assuming it's a hardware failure.

My backup currently is to run an older Zyxel modem (no router) that I got with my KSC ADSL account about 5 years ago in Bangkok. It is still going strong, but I now have seven items to plug into a power strip (including the two ugly wall warts for two Zyxel items) if I add in a separate router, so I'm still in search of the replacement modem/router. I could buy another ADSL modem with a/b/g WiFi router with Gigabit wired connections, but it seems to be a bit behind the draft-N curve. Or, I could buy ADSL modem/draft-N WiFi but with only 10/100 wired connections.

I just don't see why nobody puts all three features (1) ADSL modem, (2) draft-N WiFi, and (3) Gigabit wired networking in a single piece of hardware, other than Belkin in UK and AUS?

One potential reason is that many in the industry or with more technology experience prefer separates. Similar to and old style, hard core audiophile. Always buy separate components for the best quality... not all-in-ones.

As far as Belkin, I stay as far from them now as I can...