Immigration Office Chiang Khan, Loei

On Thursday, I went to the immigration office at Chiang Khan, since I live in Nong Bua Lam Phu province. This was my first time there, necessitated by the latest regulations on who has to go where for immigration services.

It's a small office, in a lovely setting next to the Mekong river. There were five people in the office, a manager and what appeared to be four customs officers (thought it might have been two officers and two admins, couldn't be sure). Since my Thai language skilled are limited at best, my wife came along to translate. It turns out that at least two spoke English rather well. The purpose of the visit was to get a multiple re-entry permit and do the 90 day report. It was a very pleasant experience!

Arrived about 10.30, and there were no 'customers' there, so we were taken care of immediately. The people were both helpful and friendly, and made it easy to get everything accomplished. I came well prepared (two copies of all pages of passport, signed, that sort of thing) and it must have taken all of 10 minutes to fill out the paperwork, get the stamp, and be done. I didn't fill out the forms in advance because I wanted to see exactly what they wanted for answers...my having dual citizenship didn't bother them, but another of the officers came over to look - seems she hadn't seen a dual yet.

These folks were pleasant, helpful, professional, and did everything by the book. No tea money was even hinted at. They invited us back for the next 90 day reporting, even though they said I could mail it in. Since it's such a small office, I plan on going back every 90 days to establish a working relationship there. It makes for a nice day trip, and can always go to Lao on the little boat to go through duty-free lol.

To sum up: anyone needing to go to Chiang Khan for immigration can rest easy. If you phone prior to arrival, they will tell you exactly what they require for your needs. Just bring along the required documents, and you will be treated very well.

Edited by noahvail

• 6 months later...

Hi..

You were there in march this year. I was there last week wednesday and can confirm many things that you say about Chiang Kahn. But there is a big but, at least for me!!!

One of the so called english spoken guys, I think he is second in command there. Have turned out to be sik and tired of his job it seems. he is a bully now, and love to ordering people arround.

I was there and a german guy was there together with our wifes. And the comments this guy was shouting all over the room for everyone to hear was not good at all. I got out of there with my business done. Extension retirement. Single entry permit and a document needed to take Thaidriverlicense.

But he showed his non-interest and bad behaviour in a discusting way. We two guys and also the ladies were properly dressed just to plse these people working there.

No... I can tell you that I am more than happy not ever to go up there again, thank God for Khon Kaen. On friday last talked to a English guy that also been up there recently. He was also mistreaten and the officer in question was all over him, trying to deny him his Visa/extension or whatever. The english guy just told him to do his job and not comment his clothes it was not of his business at all!!

So NO THANK YOU CHAING KAHN... NEVER AGAIN IF I CAN HELP IT!!!

Glegolo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well did my 90 day report yesterday at Chiang Khan and can only say good things, very pleasant chat and they even sold me some raffle tickets! discussed my retirement extention due in April and all very helpfull. So can only recommend the people there and they must have had a bad day for the other poster.