Exchange Rates

Which is better to take from home.. US dollars or euros? The dollar is pretty low over here.

And is it possible to change euros in smaller areas as well (like islands, Sukothai...)?

there's been a lot of movement in the dollar recently, and it's now moving down again - i'd go with the euro. Should have no problems changing either currency.

If possible you can leave your money in the bank and use your ATM card to withdraw money when needed. Thailand has ATM machines everywhere so getting money is no problem. With my account i also get a better exchange rate. And i don't have to carry too much money around.

If possible you can leave your money in the bank and use your ATM card to withdraw money when needed. Thailand has ATM machines everywhere so getting money is no problem. With my account i also get a better exchange rate. And i don't have to carry too much money around.

There can be some pretty large fees associated with atm cards - i'd check with your bank first about overseas withdrawals. Good idea to bring a credit card, as well as some cash, because most shops accepts them.

Which is better to take from home.. US dollars or euros? The dollar is pretty low over here.

And is it possible to change euros in smaller areas as well (like islands, Sukothai...)?

I haven't seen a place that accepts USD and does not accept Euros in thailand. Even in myanmar (!) you can use euros altough $ seems to be the favorite saving "account".

This or that? if you're gonna spend them soon then its a matter of guessing... some people will tell u the dollar is on the fall, some will say its on its way to the stars...

Using a credit card - many times it means that your money is being converted twice: from the original currency to USD and then to baht. So its the same as buying USD but with a bigger commision.

Wanna be on the safe side? take 50:50, no need to worry... :o

If you have Euro's why pay to change Euro -> USD -> Baht.. If you have USD why pay to change USD -> Euro -> Baht.. Simple.. The less changes the better.

LivinLOS,

Some people come from countries where the currency is niether Euro nor USD... :o Currencies of some of these countries are not accepted in banks/changers outside the issuing country.

Edited by ~G~

While I agree, almost any major currency is convertable.. If you live in a country and hold currency that is hard to convert or that you would gain a bad rate on then that is a specific question.

I also would guess that if you did have a unusual currency you may well hold a balance of a more major currency to hedge aganst fluctuation in which case bring that.

While I agree, almost any major currency is convertable.. If you live in a country and hold currency that is hard to convert or that you would gain a bad rate on then that is a specific question. 

Such as my country.

I also would guess that if you did have a unusual currency you may well hold a balance of a more major currency to hedge aganst fluctuation in which case bring that.

That will indeed be a clever thing to do, especially if you know you're going to travel a lot, but most people don't do it for some reason or another, maybe they believe its better to invest their money in other channels (or not at all...).

You've got students paying rent in USD, ever complaining about the rising rent costs but not keeping any savings in USD. Another example, from "Rich Dad Poor Dad" is of people who are always worried that fuel prices will rise but never buy stocks of oil companies.