Half Life 2

Jockstar

I just bought Half Life 2(a copy from Khao San). I started playing today and was quite enjoying playing the game. Until suddenly my pc shut itself down. But anyway the reason for this post is. I have worked out the direction keys, jump and use. But is there any other keys i need to know? As its a copy then i dont have a manual. Any help would be good. cheers!

I just bought Half Life 2(a copy from Khao San). I started playing today and was quite enjoying playing the game. Until suddenly my pc shut itself down. But anyway the reason for this post is. I have worked out the direction keys, jump and use. But is there any other keys i need to know? As its a copy then i dont have a manual. Any help would be good. cheers!

Not sure specifically about half-life 2, but all 3d shooters usually allow you to define the key controls. If you goto the configure keys section in the main menu, you should see all the default key settings and what they do.

I just bought Half Life 2(a copy from Khao San). I started playing today and was quite enjoying playing the game. Until suddenly my pc shut itself down.

Ok. I've sorted the key thing out. but once again my pc shut down. I have not got to far yet. Just got to the bit when i meet the Dr and have to be teleported. My pc crashes not long after that. at 2 different points. Does anyone know why this is? I then have to set my desktop again after. Why is this? It said something about a serious fault. But that is all. Is there anything i can do?

You might not have enough memory to run the program. Try to alter the Virtual memory. Control panel, performance & maintenance, adjust visual effects, advanced, virtual memory. Try to notch it up a bit and maybe the program will not crash, not saying it will work but it might.

You might not have enough memory to run the program. Try to alter the Virtual memory. Control panel, performance & maintenance, adjust visual effects, advanced, virtual memory. Try to notch it up a bit and maybe the program will not crash, not saying it will work but it might.

Try lowering the screen resolution, and reduce the number of video effects.

Will try both ideas. But not tonight. Will get back to you. Another question if i done a defragmentaion on my PC. Disks C and D. What would that do to it?

It could be his graphic card is overheating

I have an original copy and HL2 makes your 3d card work overttime

Maybe get one of those PC fans on a card that you can install next to your video card

Add my vote to this. I'm currently playing Myst IV Revelation and had a couple shut downs. I had manually turned down my system fan since it's winter here but the game really get it hot.

Monitor your system, cpu and graphics card temps and I bet you'll be suprised.

HL2 is probably the best game that I have ever played. I got really addicted to it. I completed it in under a month.

Don't kow about your shut down problem though. Have you updated your graphics card drivers.

On my old computer I found that every game I bought just froze after about half a minute of game play. One day I updated the graphics card drivers and it worked fine. It might work for you?

Good luck.

Half Life, new, original, in box costs 599 baht.    Why anyone's farting around with Khao San Road copies.. well.

Half Life, new, original, in box costs 599 baht.    Why anyone's farting around with Khao San Road copies.. well.

I agree with this post.

You got what you paid for, an undocumented game that's unstable.

Ok. I took the advice and bought an original copy from Fortune. It is a Thai copy but have managed to install it with the help of the gf. Updated my driver and reduced the screen resolution to i think 600x800. Have tried to play the game and the same thing happened. It froze and i had to reset my computer. Upped the virtual memory. What and how do i reduce the video effects?

I agree with this post.

You got what you paid for, an undocumented game that's unstable.

Ok. I took the advice and bought an original copy from Fortune. It is a Thai copy but have managed to install it with the help of the gf. Updated my driver and reduced the screen resolution to i think 600x800. Have tried to play the game and the same thing happened. It froze and i had to reset my computer. Upped the virtual memory. What and how do i reduce the video effects?

I cant get as far in the original than the copy. Very frustrating! it keeps freezing and i have to reset the PC. How do i go about reducing the video effects? Please help!

Go to the options/video menu and reduce the video efects, character details etc.. I had the same problem you're having but that fixed it.

Slight problem. Its all in Thai and the gf isn't home. Maybe you could tell me what line i click on and so on. Sorry for the hassle. Its just really annoying. Cheers.

Ok i have reduced the screen res, the video effects, updated the graphics driver and it still crashes. Got a bit further but again it crashed. the sound quality is ok but it stutters at times. I'm at a loss. Seriously thinking about a games console for games in future.

Ok i have reduced the screen res, the video effects, updated the graphics driver and it still crashes. Got a bit further but again it crashed. the sound quality is ok but it stutters at times. I'm at a loss. Seriously thinking about a games console for games in future.

That sounds like the best option. :o

X-Box is cheap enough in Bangkok, isn't it?

That sounds like the best option. :o

X-Box is cheap enough in Bangkok, isn't it?

I dont think the X-box is that cheap compared to the west. But i might be wrong.

• 2 months later...