Visa Run To Laos

So I arrived at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane on march 4th, one day before the free tourist visas were to be issued. On inquiry I was told if I wanted a free visa to return between 8am and 12pm the following day March 5th. As I was collecting 3 visas (wife and child too) the saving made sense and I left.

I returned as instructed on Thursday 5th March at 11.30am only to be told they had stopped accepting new applications for the day. I went to great pains to point out I had been told I could arrive 'anytime BEFORE 12pm' but it fell on deaf ears. Apparently they stop accepting applications after x number of applications on that day - I was told 500, but I think this is probably over optimistic, perhaps 300...

Re-submitting on Friday would have meant an extended stay in Laos until Tuesday due to Thai bank holiday, we had train tickets booked back to BKK on the Friday evening !

Having left the compound, i was approached by visa touts - obviously having a field day, and after much deliberation reluctantly handed over 3 passports and 4500B in 'commission'. I picked up the visas the following day at 1pm prompt outside the embassy gates. The only upshot was I was spared the huge queue to officially pick up visas.

Moral of the story - get there early and queue for hours along with everyone else, or pay!

i've always been told that they stop letting people in to the consulate for new applications at 11.30am, no matter how many have gone through that day. safest bet is definitely arrive early and do the queue thing, as i wouldn't trust those touts outside with my passport as far as i could throw them.

I am going to Vientiane to activate my Ed visa the first time. I have read that Mondays are a silly day to go due to visa run groups on Mondays.

I am about to book flights, I am trying to make sure that this week, (week starting 8th March) that ther are no public holidays that will catch me out.

Is it a 2 day event or can I get the ed visa and passport back in 1 day?

Is Tuesday or Wednesday particular bad days at the moment?

If I get the 7am flight to Udon, I should get to the embassey by 11am that day, I would hope.

Oh yeah, I read on TV that you have to go to the consolute, not the embassey in Laos, can anyone confirm this?

Goof.

I am going to Vientiane to activate my Ed visa the first time. I have read that Mondays are a silly day to go due to visa run groups on Mondays.

I am about to book flights, I am trying to make sure that this week, (week starting 8th March) that ther are no public holidays that will catch me out.

Is it a 2 day event or can I get the ed visa and passport back in 1 day?

Is Tuesday or Wednesday particular bad days at the moment?

If I get the 7am flight to Udon, I should get to the embassey by 11am that day, I would hope.

Oh yeah, I read on TV that you have to go to the consolute, not the embassey in Laos, can anyone confirm this?

Goof.

Not sure what you mean by"Activate". You go to the Consulate to apply for a Visa. Apply in the morning and pick up next day afternoon. I would have thopught that getting to the Consulate at 11.00 am might be pushing it a bit.

If you already have a Multi Entry you go over the border and come back again.

2 - It's illegal to have your visa processed by a third party instead of on your own.

No, it is not illegal. Is is perfectly legal to use a messenger to deliver your application and later to pick up your passport with the visa in it.

--

Maestro

2 - It's illegal to have your visa processed by a third party instead of on your own.

No, it is not illegal. Is is perfectly legal to use a messenger to deliver your application and later to pick up your passport with the visa in it.

--

Maestro

It happens in Penang every day.

1 - It has been reported and advised against in more than one thread to appear at 11:30 am.

Actually I was officially told the previous day at 11.50am, when incidentally they were STILL processing new applicants, that up to 12pm was acceptable. In reality 11.25 would have been too late too, I suspect it was before 11am that they stopped processing new applicants as at least 50 people had used 'messengers' before me that day.

The point I was trying to make was that the 'closure' time for new applicants obviously varies depending on workload.

What I meant by activate, was I have the letter from the Ed ministry to take to Laos to get the visa.

I am a little confused, I read in a thread on TV last month, its a the consolute, not hte Embassey I have to go to. Is this true? (I can't find the link, sorry)

Goofie

1 - It has been reported and advised against in more than one thread to appear at 11:30 am.

Actually I was officially told the previous day at 11.50am, when incidentally they were STILL processing new applicants, that up to 12pm was acceptable. In reality 11.25 would have been too late too, I suspect it was before 11am that they stopped processing new applicants as at least 50 people had used 'messengers' before me that day.

The point I was trying to make was that the 'closure' time for new applicants obviously varies depending on workload.

What time to arrive at the Consulate is well documented in other threads. It's a shame you hadn't read them before you went.

I'm more interested in whether you can still get double entry tourist visas and how much they cost. Did you apply for double or single entry?

Correct, Tropo, it has been noted in several threads .... Official information and reality do differ ..... and I have an idea that so many people do not read through relevant threads hence mistakes or the same question is asked 34 times ....

Maestro and Lite Beer ..... yes, it's being done hundreds of times a day. However, the rule is that you apply / renew for a visa IN PERSON. There are multiple signs warning for third parties offering these services at border crossings and embassies. If I am right, there is also a warning sign at the entrance of the Embassy in Vientiane.

How can you verify the authenticity of a visa delivered by someone else?

Edited by sniffdog

What I meant by activate, was I have the letter from the Ed ministry to take to Laos to get the visa.

I am a little confused, I read in a thread on TV last month, its a the consolute, not hte Embassey I have to go to. Is this true? (I can't find the link, sorry)

Goofie

Yes. The Consular Section. Address here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html

Goofie

yeah the new consulate is a different place to the old embassy, but all tuktuk drivers in vientiane know where it is. would try to get there before 11am if you can to be on the safe side. i've never noticed a difference on what day of the week you go, there are tourist visa groups done there every day.