Almost Died Today

SiamSuzi

Might is right, get yourself a huge F.OFF Hummer, preferably with a 50mm in the upper turret.

PS when walking, good to look left and right but don't forget to look up as well. The buggers can come from that direction without you even knowing it, till it is to late. :D

:o

Gonna assume you mean a .50 cal HMG. :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always carry my camera in the car to take snapshots of what i think are foolhardy or amazing scenes to send back to family and friends to brighten there day in health and safety land gone mad aka England.

I saw a great one yesterday but couldnt get camera out in time.

Old man on scooter with crash helmet and a young girl about 10 years old riding pillion without a helmet <deleted> !!

I've seen more responsible versions of that... with the kid wearing a colorful plastic TOY helmet! :o

post-34215-1236673827_thumb.jpg

Edited by junkofdavid2

the funniest I have seen here in Bangkok is a dog sat on the back of a moped, the guy stopped at the lights. when the lights changed he set off but obviously the dog had no grip and fell off the back :D he stopped but the dog couldn't jump back on so he had to get off and lift the dog back on, then when he set off again the dog fell off again :o

slightly off topic as we are talking about bad driving, sadly I see it every day

Seems completely on topic to me, redscouse.

Someone asked if you can get stopped for speeding. I have often seen police officers on the side of roads standing very close to the lanes where cars are going well over 100 km/h but have never seen any of them with a radar gun or other technology for determining speed. They usually appear to be looking for a good mark.

Someone asked if you can get stopped for speeding. I have often seen police officers on the side of roads standing very close to the lanes where cars are going well over 100 km/h but have never seen any of them with a radar gun or other technology for determining speed. They usually appear to be looking for a good mark.

Around NakhonSawan they hide in the bushes in the central reservation with their hand held speed cameras. If you do not stop for the police they usually send a speeding ticket to the home address.

On the main road from NS to BKK I have seen the officers get a sheet of paper handed to them with - what I presume to be - cars or car numbers and they walk across the road and look for said cars on the sheet.

I get the feeling speeding drivers are often spotted a long way from where the stop itself takes place.

In saying that, I have never yet - touch wood - been chased by a police patrol car when not stopping as the BiB wave you down at the side of the road. Not sure if anyone else has been chased.

Safety? That is a joke when you car is stopped at a junction waiting to turn and a motorcyle rides into the side of the car, as happened to me recently. And prior to that when the car was parked by the mechanic and a Toyota drove into the back of the car.

I see too many incidents here and it can be scary but I am still happy to drive.

"If a thai hits you - it is your fault' - 'if you hit a thai it is your fault'"

Not for me I was knocked down and badly injured at the extra counter traffic lane outside Robinsons in Sukhumvit.

I was taken to Pattaya after I recovered consciousness in Bumrungrad

Aweek later a very anxious Thai couple from Bangkok came to the hospital, asking for my version of the accident.

It appeared they were up for the high jump, I just signed a waiver, saying it was my fault for not using the overhead walkway, and apologised to them.

Edited by desertrat

Around NakhonSawan they hide in the bushes in the central reservation with their hand held speed cameras. If you do not stop for the police they usually send a speeding ticket to the home address.

On the main road from NS to BKK I have seen the officers get a sheet of paper handed to them with - what I presume to be - cars or car numbers and they walk across the road and look for said cars on the sheet.

I get the feeling speeding drivers are often spotted a long way from where the stop itself takes place.

In saying that, I have never yet - touch wood - been chased by a police patrol car when not stopping as the BiB wave you down at the side of the road. Not sure if anyone else has been chased.

Safety? That is a joke when you car is stopped at a junction waiting to turn and a motorcyle rides into the side of the car, as happened to me recently. And prior to that when the car was parked by the mechanic and a Toyota drove into the back of the car.

I see too many incidents here and it can be scary but I am still happy to drive.

The favoured speed trap is where one guy sits down the road with a radar and radios the number plates of those speeding to a group further up. They either set up a roadblock to slow everyone down and pick out the numbers on their lists, or they just jump out onto the highway in front of the car they want to stop. The favoured place in Bangkok is the Don Muang Tollway, where they can sit at the toll booths and grab the cars as they come through.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like they only concentrate on one thing at a time, for example, overloaded trucks, speeding cars or motorbikes with no helmets. If they're out getting money from over weight trucks, then you can race past as fast as you like without getting stopped. Similarly, I see people overtaking highway patrol cars doing well above the speed limit without getting nabbed. If they haven't gone out with the intention of catching speeders then they don't seem to care what speed you do.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to start a topic on the subject of actual accidents, but will add it here.

After living here over four years and visiting and working here for another five I have only seen maybe 3 minor scooter accidents, the aftermath of maybe two serious scooter accidents and the aftermath of one fatal car accident. I have never seen a car accident happen or seen a serious motorbike crash. Even though I drive short distances daily and find myself constantly shaking my head at the ridiculous driving I never see anything bad happen. So, with this in mind I am starting to think maybe the insane zero responsibility or safety system works. :o

Some times I will them to crash further up the road but they never do. I see them racing and zig zagging and driving at speed whilst on their telephones but I never see anything bad happen to them.

When was the last time you actually saw a bad accident, or have you been involved in one?

A true story: Got stuck in a traffic jam on the highway near Pattaya. A Chinese looking Thai knocks on my drivers window. He says, that he is a bus driver and he had to brake hard, because of my driving. I, driving cars and bikes since many years everywhere in Thailand and knowing the behaviour on the streets here very well, was not aware of that. But I, trying to avoid a conflict, told him, that I really have not wanted that and I apologised.

He said now, that all of his Korean tourists in the bus are shocked after his hard braking. He wanted me to go to the bus and apologise in the bus for my driving to the Korean Tourists. I told him now, that I am sorry, but I will not leave my car. His face got very angry. He asked me again to apologise to the Koreans and I denied that again rather friendly. He went away.

I was relieved. But only for a short while. Still no way to move out of the traffic jam, I saw him coming back in the mirror. He seemed to be very angry, while holding a baseball bat in both hands. I locked all doors and closed the windows. I saw him standing next to my drivers window again. He shouted, that I have to go to his bus to apologise to the Korean tourists. He got the same answer from me like before, while I tried to change the mode on my mobile to camera. He hit my car with the bat in full force. I was still struggling to get the camera function on the mobile. But at least I got it and he recognised that.

He went back to the bus. Traffic was moving now and soon I was now behind his bus, simultaneous looking for the next police. At the crossroads in North Pattaya I saw one. I stopped...wife explaining the situation...policeman said, we should wait here...he tried to catch the bus...he came back 10 minutes later, saying the bus is gone, we should make a report at the police station...but we did not...paid 500 Baht for the repair...

A true story: Got stuck in a traffic jam on the highway near Pattaya. A Chinese looking Thai knocks on my drivers window. He says, that he is a bus driver and he had to brake hard, because of my driving. I, driving cars and bikes since many years everywhere in Thailand and knowing the behaviour on the streets here very well, was not aware of that. But I, trying to avoid a conflict, told him, that I really have not wanted that and I apologised.

He said now, that all of his Korean tourists in the bus are shocked after his hard braking. He wanted me to go to the bus and apologise in the bus for my driving to the Korean Tourists. I told him now, that I am sorry, but I will not leave my car. His face got very angry. He asked me again to apologise to the Koreans and I denied that again rather friendly. He went away.

I was relieved. But only for a short while. Still no way to move out of the traffic jam, I saw him coming back in the mirror. He seemed to be very angry, while holding a baseball bat in both hands. I locked all doors and closed the windows. I saw him standing next to my drivers window again. He shouted, that I have to go to his bus to apologise to the Korean tourists. He got the same answer from me like before, while I tried to change the mode on my mobile to camera. He hit my car with the bat in full force. I was still struggling to get the camera function on the mobile. But at least I got it and he recognised that.

He went back to the bus. Traffic was moving now and soon I was now behind his bus, simultaneous looking for the next police. At the crossroads in North Pattaya I saw one. I stopped...wife explaining the situation...policeman said, we should wait here...he tried to catch the bus...he came back 10 minutes later, saying the bus is gone, we should make a report at the police station...but we did not...paid 500 Baht for the repair...

You are lucky he did not have access to a gun.

Many drivers do carry weapons, many have handguns also. It's the reason you don't hear too much horn honking or shouting in Thailand.

I have seen a similar incident outside my local bar on Sukhumvit in Bangkok. Much the same but involving a bus driver in an altercation with a taxi driver. The bus driver started shouting, didn't get anywhere so returned to his bus and the produced an iron bar which he began threatening the taxi driver with. At this point the lights changed and the taxi sped off.

Centre of the city at a junction with police box and Police nowhere to be seen as usual.

Can you get fined for speeding here?

In seven years, never heard of it.

Have personally been stopped 30+ times to have my papers/license/insurance checked, however.

For some reason, once you get north of Khon Kaen towards Udon Thani, you will see a lot of people fined for speeding. I guess the rest of the country hasn't caught on to this easy meal ticket.

I was going to start a topic on the subject of actual accidents, but will add it here.

After living here over four years and visiting and working here for another five I have only seen maybe 3 minor scooter accidents, the aftermath of maybe two serious scooter accidents and the aftermath of one fatal car accident. I have never seen a car accident happen or seen a serious motorbike crash. Even though I drive short distances daily and find myself constantly shaking my head at the ridiculous driving I never see anything bad happen. So, with this in mind I am starting to think maybe the insane zero responsibility or safety system works. :o

Some times I will them to crash further up the road but they never do. I see them racing and zig zagging and driving at speed whilst on their telephones but I never see anything bad happen to them.

When was the last time you actually saw a bad accident, or have you been involved in one?

I live 25 Km North of Khon Kaen and unfortunately I have seen too many aftermaths of nast accidents on my approx weekly trips into the city. I see about 6 per year in a 25Km stretch of road. Those are just the nasty ones like a cement mixing truck buried into the side of a bus. I see many minor accidents and so many near misses.

Think yourself lucky that you have not had to witness the amount of blood spilled that I have.

For some reason, once you get north of Khon Kaen towards Udon Thani, you will see a lot of people fined for speeding. I guess the rest of the country hasn't caught on to this easy meal ticket.

Was that before or after Namphong?

Police car on the central divide, no radar, "You drive too fast".

200 baht.

Farang in charge of a motor vehicle.

Was that before or after Namphong?

Police car on the central divide, no radar, "You drive too fast".

200 baht.

Farang in charge of a motor vehicle.

Before and after Nam Phong. The police do have some radar equipment, but is probably a guesstimate quite often when they're just after the bonus. 200 Baht is tea money I think. I have seen the police with a radar gun, but that is closer to Udon and they stop people about 1Km further on.

What I find interesting about your experience is that you admit to almost having a heart attack. I would have felt the same way - or at least have been heading back home to change my underwear!

But practically every day I see Thai people - usually walking or on motorbikes - coming within millimetres of being killed and they continue on their way with a blank, bored expression as if nothing had happened.

Are they really as detached as they look and if so how do they do it? Is it because they have had close calls so often before that they are no longer remarkable or is it some dhamma thing?

I would say it's experience since birth and well-practiced mind. :o

I lived in BKK for more than 10 years one rule i had when I was there is never to try to cross when you see a green bus they always speed up.

When I used to travel on them I realised they actually race each other and laugh and joke about it just to pick up fares and have no regard for pedestrians or motorists, but the authorities don't seem to care less. The traffic laws in this country are non existant.

I felt sorry for some poor Thai guy I saw when a policeman came speeding the wrong way out of a one way street on his motorbike without looking and hit him.

I wonder who was in the wrong??

I just wanted to add a few things to this thread.

Supposedly there are 10 times more road fatalities here than in the UK with roughly the same population.

Insurance here is high compared to other things , I find it on a par with what I would expect to pay in the UK , so although repairs here are cheap there are so many more accidents so the price has to be higher.

Someone once told me that "Thai's drive like they have just stolen the car they are driving"...having wtnessed Thai drivig standards over the last 6 years I have to agree.

My Wfe also came back from her driving test with a pass...I was amazed that she passed until she told me that it had just cost her 1,000 Baht and she did not have to take a test.

Fisrt time I let her drive the car on her own ...she crashed it within half a mile of her starting point :D I sent her for more driving lessons before I let her behind the wheel again :D

My own motto for surving accident free for 6 years is simply "Always think of every other road user as a complete idiot" :o

nearly died..

In my naive first year here i was drinking with the security guards from my condo and then a group of hooded youths came round the corner with baseball bats and started chasing us..I went sprinting around the car park screaming "i'm a farang, I'm a farang" !!! like that would save me! years of half heartedly boxing and martial arts all went out of my head and running was the best option.... The only key i mastered was the one in my pants !!!

It was all over as myself and the guards scattered and the youths retreated - then the guards armed themselves with bats and were prepared.

I complained to the condo next day and the security force were fired - (not just because of my complaint) the guards were selling drugs to the locals and I guess the local dealers were not to happy !

also saw a group fight outside at a club and a gun was pulled not fired this was after table and chairs were thrown about ! quick gulp of beer and a smart exit to a different club

My advice is to never allow your concentration to wander, even for a minute. Driving is not an enjoyable experience here, which is why I think it is pointless to have a nice car in Thailand. I miss the experience of being able to enjoy driving as I did in the UK. I have a big old pickup with huge chrome bull bars on the front and back. I don't intend upgrading unless I have to.

Sorry, but I think you've expressed some wishful thinking. The zany, zero-responsibility system DOESN'T work here. Period. I think you've just been lucky. In six years here, I've seen more road carnage in Thailand than the entire previous 38 years driving in the USA.

• One bus accident with 20+ fatalities, just a couple months ago north of my town
  • two dead bodies, spread-eagled on the pavement after being hit by a truck at night
  • Several over-turned buses between Isaan and Bangkok--mostly around the twisty highway near the Siam Cement factory; each with fatalities.
  • A dead young man who'd been struck on his motorcycle and hit the pavement without a helmet, just a kilometer from my house.
  • On the average, one student a month is killed on the roads around the university where I teach. Usually we see the aftermath after the body has been removed: gawkers standing around quietly talking, a twisted motorcycle, glass littering the pavement, the white "X" on the highway, etc.
  • I could go on, but I'm really trying to forget the ugly things I've seen here.

The statistics are also against your observations. Road fatalities here are four times (per capita) than that of any western country. It's a dangerous world out there on the Thai highways. Don't get too complacent, or you could be a sudden victim yourself!

Edited by toptuan

Ya that guys led a seriously charmed life to never see anything, I've personally walked/driven past at least 10 dead bodies in a few years, this place is a deathtrap when it comes to driving, it's just a matter of time. Someone has your name on their front bumper, you just haven't met them yet.