Old Speckled Hen In Bangkok!

At last a quality beer is coming to Thailand.

The Barbican in Silom will have Old Speckled Hen on tap from the 28th of January, followed by the Bull's Head a week later.

Old Speckled Hen in Thailand

I started selling Old Speckled Hen a year ago,along with Spitfire,Hobgoblin,Fiddlers Elbow,Bishop's Finger,Wadworths 6x,London Pride,Holsten Pils & Old Perculiar. Someone bubbled me in October though and I got raided by customs even though I had paid duty on it. All I got left now are a few Bishops Finger,Hobgoblin & Fiddlers Elbow. Actually it didn't go all that well. Most of my crowd complain at paying ฿50 for a large Chang.

:o:D:D

The Barbican in Silom will have Old Speckled Hen on tap from the 28th of January, followed by the Bull's Head a week later.

I started selling Old Speckled Hen a year ago,along with Spitfire,Hobgoblin,Fiddlers Elbow,Bishop's Finger,Wadworths 6x,London Pride,Holsten Pils & Old Perculiar. Someone bubbled me in October though and I got raided by customs even though I had paid duty on it. All I got left now are a few Bishops Finger,Hobgoblin & Fiddlers Elbow. Actually it didn't go all that well. Most of my crowd complain at paying ฿50 for a large Chang.

Was that the Ramsgate or the Surin crowd?

:D

Old Speckled Hen along with Spitfire,Hobgoblin,Fiddlers Elbow,Bishop's Finger,Wadworths 6x,London Pride,Holsten Pils & Old Perculiar.

Actually it didn't go all that well.

Most of my crowd complain at paying ฿50 for a large Chang.

:D:D:D

Recon this is wot it comes down to.

Its one thing to wander round the back streets of London (or wherever)on a dark cold winters night night-Whitechapel,Barbican (real one)Clerkerwell etc.with a bunch of mates and go into one of those typical old fashioned boozers with a real fire,good atmosphere and even better selection ofes...dogbolter,willy######,

Bishops Finger,Spit etc ...but in..... Bangkok :D

It used to be said and in many ways still applies that this type of cast conditioned stuff does not travel well and of course the temperature changes dont help much.

The first one that really made the grade was apparantly at the time of the old empire when the now famous .....for you youngsters "India Pale Ale" seemed to have survived the journey(mostly by sea) out to the Sahibs /mems in where the sun never sets etc.....although it did. :o

No.... for all you lads in the orient ...remember ...mystic east ...lager is the beer to clean teath with a suitable G&T or Whisky "stengah" to toast the sun going down before the ladies enter the room for diner. :D

Yeah..

Yorkie mob...................what did you expect :D

Was that the Ramsgate or the Surin crowd?

:D

lampard...Mozambique???...dunno, never been there. But in Bolivia I like Cerveza Taquina, in Nicaragua Flor de Cana rum, in Chile Capel pisco, Bintang beer in Indonesia, any local beer in PR China, any red vin ordinaire in France...

a tall Shlitz will do me in California when not with a vodka grape...

I could imagine thet real ale doesn't really go down that well in the tropics..........

The Penny Black in Singapore does about 200 pints a day aparently and Guinness sell a fair bit of the black stuff here even if it is the crappy Malaysian stuff. Even Kilkenny does pretty well in Thailand and that's a nasty bitter.

Hong Kong has a good selection of ales too.

I agree that Lager seems better suited to this part of the world, but if (like me) you think it tastes like piss, a decent beer is a godsend.

Cheers..

I find that those imports are quite dated around town cause nobody buys them due to price. Check dates on some American products like Bud, Miller. Do they put dates on your products

In this case I think we're talking about draught beer.

I find that those imports are quite dated around town cause nobody buys them due to price. Check dates on some American products like Bud, Miller. Do they put dates on your products

The Speckled Hen is in kegs and has about 5 months shelf life once in Thailand. The importer is a farang, so I'm sure the quality will be kept up.

The Speckled Hen is in kegs and has about 5 months shelf life once in Thailand. The importer is a farang, so I'm sure the quality will be kept up.

Now here is a bit of really useful information for all you petrol heads.

Old Speckled Hen was named after a MG motor car and that is why the emblem is shaped like the MG motif.

In 1927, M.G. produced a one off prototype - a four seater saloon with a fabric body painted gold and curiously stippled with black. The car was kept as a run-around when the factory moved to Abingdon in 1929. The car's disitinctive colouring led locals to name it 'Old Speckled Un'. Word of mouth changed this over time to 'Old Speckled Hen'.

In 1979 M.G. celebrated the Golden Jubilee of the Abingdon factory and to commemorate the event asked Morland to brew a special beer. In fond memory of the old factory car, Morland named the new ale 'Old Speckled Hen'.

Today M.G. enthusiasts still endorse the link with 'Old Speckled Hen' and every year over 100 M.G. cars gather at the old factory site to take part in the 'Old Speckled Hen' Tour around Oxfordshire.

Gosh, bet you are glad you read that.

Now here is a bit of really useful information for all you petrol heads.

Old Speckled Hen was named after a MG motor car and that is why the emblem is shaped like the MG motif.

In 1927, M.G. produced a one off prototype - a four seater saloon with a fabric body painted gold and curiously stippled with black. The car was kept as a run-around when the factory moved to Abingdon in 1929. The car's disitinctive colouring led locals to name it 'Old Speckled Un'. Word of mouth changed this over time to 'Old Speckled Hen'.

In 1979 M.G. celebrated the Golden Jubilee of the Abingdon factory and to commemorate the event asked Morland to brew a special beer. In fond memory of the old factory car, Morland named the new ale 'Old Speckled Hen'.

Today M.G. enthusiasts still endorse the link with 'Old Speckled Hen' and every year over 100 M.G. cars gather at the old factory site to take part in the 'Old Speckled Hen' Tour around Oxfordshire.

Gosh, bet you are glad you read that.

Did I tell you the one about how 'Dog's <deleted>' beer was named

they are trying to sell belgium beers here for a while, but believe never tookm off because of price bt160+ per bottle :o

so this speckled hen stuff, how much per pint, i hope that there are enough brits around to drink it :D

I think the price is a factor as to why these imports never really take off big time in BKK.

All the local beers are quite acceptable to drink. It would be the equivalent of paying double the price for a pint in the UK on a night out. It may be OK for an occasional treat but I doubt if anyones going to take to OSH and the like on a permanant basis.