Best Steak House In Bangkok

ChiefBEM

Back during the "Ice Age" you could go to a great little steak house in Bangkok that was called Dominos.

It was a nice place with a piano bar and their standard steak dinner was around 200 Baht.

I doubt that Dominos is still open.

I also doubt that you could find a steak dinner for 200 Baht.

Can anyone tell me where to go for a good steak dinner at a reasonable (1000 - 1500 Baht) price?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil's Tavern has been serving the best steaks in Bangkok since 1969 and from all reports is still great. I have not eaten at Neil's since they moved from Siam Square in the 70's as never appreciated the hovering waiters but the food was always good.

Another old standard for good steaks has always been The Chok Chai Steak House and they currently have a location on Soi Asok I believe.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46568

Chok Chai is definitely an excellent value. The one major downside is they serve their steaks on a super-heated cast-iron skillet, so consider ordering one or two levels closer to rare then you might otherwise. And turn your steak over once to let it cook on the other side. The T-bone is best, followed by the rib-eye, in my experience.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46568

Chok Chai is definitely an excellent value. The one major downside is they serve their steaks on a super-heated cast-iron skillet, so consider ordering one or two levels closer to rare then you might otherwise. And turn your steak over once to let it cook on the other side. The T-bone is best, followed by the rib-eye, in my experience.

:o Thanks to everyone that provided input.

We will definately try the Chok Chai, Neil's Tavern, Mitzu's Kitchen, and The Outback.

Hey ... I am from Texas where beef rules!

The Outback Steak House restaurants in the US have all been great to me!

The meat does not cut with a fork but has just enough chew to let you know you are eating meat!

Thanks again.

If you are from Texas and accustomed to eating US beef, you're going to be appalled at all of the placed suggested above (none of which serve US beef).

All of them except Neils serve Thai beef because it is cheap, but it is also absolutely awful: stringy, tough, and flavorless. Neils serves deep frozen Australian beef which has been frozen way, way too long. It's not much better. The only beef in Thailand that is even vaguely like what you are used to is the Argentinian beef served by the New York Steak House at the Marriott, and their prices are absolutely stunning. Real New York prices. Good luck.

If you are from Texas and accustomed to eating US beef, you're going to be appalled at all of the placed suggested above (none of which serve US beef).

All of them except Neils serve Thai beef because it is cheap, but it is also absolutely awful: stringy, tough, and flavorless. Neils serves deep frozen Australian beef which has been frozen way, way too long. It's not much better. The only beef in Thailand that is even vaguely like what you are used to is the Argentinian beef served by the New York Steak House at the Marriott, and their prices are absolutely stunning. Real New York prices. Good luck.

Instead of spending 1500 on a steak - simply buy a return bus ticket to Laos and have a steak in Vientiane - they are a lot better that the Thai effort and only cost about 70 baht.

PS, out of 1500 baht you don't have enough money to buy a Laos Visa too - so, take your water wings and swimover downriver from the friendship bridge a little bit!

Just looked at Neil's Tavern website and saw this...

*New York Steak(USDA PRIME) 3.75.-/gram

*Rib Eye (USDA PRIME) 3.85 / Gram

* PRIME RIB(USDA PRIME) 2.95.-/gram

* T-BONE(USDA PRIME) 3.75.-/gram

So besides their "deep frozen Australian beef which has been frozen way, way too long", they have US beef!

Just thought I'd let you know :o

Copied and pasted from Neil's menu. I have never had any complaints there.

New York Steak (USDA PRIME)

Rib Eye (USDA PRIME)

PRIME RIB (USDA PRIME)

T-BONE (USDA PRIME)

The T-bone is best, followed by the rib-eye, in my experience.

Does that leave you room for dessert?!

:o

Patrick

:D

They do have their own home-made ice cream too!

Seriously, I've been three times, had the t-bone twice and the rib-eye once. Both are fresh (not frozen) dry-aged !! and reasonably tasty, certainly not stringy or tough. As I understand it this Chok Chai operates a huge dairy/cattle farm operation out in Nakhon Ratchasima.

The prices are quite reasonable as well. I think the interior/ambience is nice, and the service is professional, attentive but not overbearing. The wine-list is OK. I've only been to the Chok Chai restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 23.

I am pretty sure a lot of places in Bangkok serve US, Argentine, NZ and OZ beef. I assume most of that is frozen? Anyway, obviously not Texas, Chicago, New York or KC but still plenty of reasonable steaks available, in my experience.

Maybe some posters to this thread need to get out more often.

So besides their "deep frozen Australian beef which has been frozen way, way too long", they have US beef!

so...could we say that prime rib is available at Neil's Tavern? Has anyone had it?

Not wanting to go off topic too much, the best steak I have ever had ever!!, was from a water buffalo in Chiang Mai way back when.... so is "Thai Steak" from a cow or are they buffalo?... and do you even distinguish between them... just curious!

Da Stephano's Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai serves a 280 baht Argentinian Filet Mignon dinner which tastes great to an American who hasn't touched beef in years because it is usually so tough/tasteless in Thailand.

Good excuse to visit Chiang Mai and someone on another thread says that they have the best Tiramisu in Northern Thailand as well! :o

If I'm not mistaken - it's a while since I have been there - when you order Steak at Neil's Tavern they will bring out a tray of hard frozen cuts and invite you to select your preferred piece.

Some 20 minutes later your meal is served.

Now, assuming of course that you have actually been served the piece you selected, it's obvious that it has immediately been zapped in a Microwave to thaw out and then cooked.

Definitely not the way I would expect my Baht 1.500.- steak to be treated!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Thai - French or Chokechai Steaks; although the Chokechai Steakhouse at Muaklek (a MUST stop off for many Thais going to or coming from the North East) cuts the steak far too thin and thus they have little control over the cooking - most times the meat simply ends up on the far side of "Medium".

I still miss Nick's No. 1.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

If I'm not mistaken - it's a while since I have been there - when you order Steak at Neil's Tavern they will bring out a tray of hard frozen cuts and invite you to select your preferred piece.

Some 20 minutes later your meal is served.

Now, assuming of course that you have actually been served the piece you selected, it's obvious that it has immediately been zapped in a Microwave to thaw out and then cooked.

Definitely not the way I would expect my Baht 1.500.- steak to be treated.....

Absolutely true, althought I also doubt they serve the piece you select very often, if ever. The total elapsed time is way too short to thaw a deep frozen steak and cook it as well. The reason they get away with that kind of thing at all, however, is amply illustrated by the smug posts just above yours.

'Gee, Neil's menu says they serve USDA prime beef so Old Asia Hand doesn't know what he's talking about,' to paraphrase. My God. Have any of these people been in Thailand more than fifteen minutes? By the way, guys, I'm selling a few genuine Rolexes you might want to take a look at.....

^^ I've been here longer than you have .... neener neener neener!>>

But seriously Chokchai steakhouse on the way back from Korat is fabulous. Have had both the USDA and the Thai aged steaks there pretty excellent!

I do think they are too thin and not trimmed down as well as I'd like! but hel_l! this IS Thailand... I'm happy enough!

We sure have a lot of different opinions.

But that is good!

When I return to Bangkok I will start my steak taste test and then I will join the survey about the quality or lack of quality when comparing between normal Thai steaks and western steaks.

There has been a lot of chatting about the Farang Connection in Surin.

Most has been focused on prices.

As a steak lover from way back, I have no problems in paying premium prices for premium meals.

We intend on visiting the Farang Connection in Surin next January to checkout the quality of their western food.

For a great secret for great steak, go to Tokyo Joe's Blues Bar (TJ's) on Sukhumvit 24, down the street from the Emporium Shopping Center. It's a 'hole-in-the-wall' bar with a fun atmosphere. The managers Jeff & Jay are very nice. Through one of Jay's connection, the meat is supplied by a ranch in Korat that raises beef cattle ONLY for export to Japan. So you can imagine the grade of beef and quality. Tender and tastier than beef in markets. Jay's friend allows TJ's to buy small lots of beef which they serve to customers. TJ's has rib eye and sirloin in 250 and 350 gram servings. Priced at around 350 baht per plate, you can't go wrong. Served with Jay's own recipe of marinade and a tasty side salad and vegetables. You can ask not to have the marinade version. They tend to use lots of garlic (but I love garlic so I don't mind). Great to go with live Blues at TJ's too.

For a great secret for great steak, go to Tokyo Joe's Blues Bar (TJ's) on Sukhumvit 24, down the street from the Emporium Shopping Center. It's a 'hole-in-the-wall' bar with a fun atmosphere. The managers Jeff & Jay are very nice. Through one of Jay's connection, the meat is supplied by a ranch in Korat that raises beef cattle ONLY for export to Japan. So you can imagine the grade of beef and quality. Tender and tastier than beef in markets. Jay's friend allows TJ's to buy small lots of beef which they serve to customers. TJ's has rib eye and sirloin in 250 and 350 gram servings. Priced at around 350 baht per plate, you can't go wrong. Served with Jay's own recipe of marinade and a tasty side salad and vegetables. You can ask not to have the marinade version. They tend to use lots of garlic (but I love garlic so I don't mind). Great to go with live Blues at TJ's too.

Tokyo Joe's Blues Bar is a good name.

I will add it to my list.

'Gee, Neil's menu says they serve USDA prime beef so Old Asia Hand doesn't know what he's talking about,' to paraphrase. My God. Have any of these people been in Thailand more than fifteen minutes? By the way, guys, I'm selling a few genuine Rolexes you might want to take a look at.....

I too have been here a long time. Quite frankly I really don't care if the steak at Neil's is Thai range beef. I pick my choice off the plate and it has always been cooked as ordered and has always been excellent. Since I was raised in the US Midwest I think I know a good steak from a bad one. Do you really have a supply of Rolex watches? You must have really been a slow learner. :o

Last couple of times I have been to the New York Steakhouse at the Marriott I thought the food had slipped. Certainly not as good as it was when it first opened. If your thinking of spending that kind of money, I have always found the steakhouse inside the Four Seasons (was the Regent) to be excellent and surprisingly about the same price as the Marriott but probably overall a better experience, service and for sure the beef. Having said that, it would not surprise me if all this 'air flown' beef comes from the same supplier but I guess different chefs in these hotels have their own ideas of how to best prepare and flavour the beef.