How To Laos

dynabob

Hello i and all,I want to ride into laos will somebody please tell me who,how ,dept to go and what paperwork do i need to show,all paperwork re bike is in order and i am on multiple B i live udon so crossing will be at friendship bridge.My laos visa will be tourist.All info handled with care.Thank's

Hello i and all,I want to ride into laos will somebody please tell me who,how ,dept to go and what paperwork do i need to show,all paperwork re bike is in order and i am on multiple B i live udon so crossing will be at friendship bridge.My laos visa will be tourist.All info handled with care.Thank's

Dynabob

You won't be crossing into Laos at the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai or Mukdahan. The Friendship Bridges are NO GO for motorbikes into Laos. Exit is ok though. Funny eh?

So your next best bet is Beun Kan / Pakxan, 140 kms downstream from Nong Khai. After that it is Nakon Phanom / Tha Khek. Mukdahan is no motorbike entry into Laos across the Friendship Bridge. After that it is Chong Mek / Vang Tao.

There's heaps of info on the GT Rider Forum and website about documents required plus other tips 'n info.

Why does this not surprise me,after 9 yrs here when things go right,now that's a shock,i'll go nong khai and leave bike with a mate,thank's for info,i am hoping to move to laos next month for a year,no doubt no bike and a maze of pen pushing and brown envelope's.i'll check out GT rider's i know a few of them and if they can't help then your proper f###ed . :o

I'm bored so i'll give an update.A good friend put me in contact with an agent in nong khai that had arranged eveything for them more then once.It turn's out he's a tour guide and cannot take only 1 person,crossed wire's yet again.I have one or two more approach's to this,i wiil keep you posted about my progress or lack of it,might be useful to someone else,sometime

Why does this not surprise me,after 9 yrs here when things go right,now that's a shock,i'll go nong khai and leave bike with a mate,thank's for info,i am hoping to move to laos next month for a year,no doubt no bike and a maze of pen pushing and brown envelope's.i'll check out GT rider's i know a few of them and if they can't help then your proper f###ed . :o

Bloody hel_l mate,if you call yourself a motorcyclist just ride your bike 140 kms downstream from Nong Khai to Beun Kan & bob's your uncle you can cross into Laos at Pakxan. Don't jerk around at the bridge trying to outsmart the system & making yourself hot under the collar & cranky. Ride your bike & enter Laos from Beun Kan / Pakxan.

It is amazing, early February I had no problems crossing the bridge ad NongKhai. Yesterday I call the ambassador of Laos about this and he would call me back, he did not called me back, but that is not uncommon.

Living in Southeast Asia for more then 10 years dealing with many government officials from many countries in the region, I can say that something is wrong.

And we got a telephone call from the Laos embassy, that nothing is wrong...(??????) We needed just, before traveling to Laos to puickup two papers for our motorcycles at the Laos Embassy.

It seems that exceptions are in place, we have a residence in Laos and we would be able to take our regulator motorcycles over the border... (I was really surprised they know frame numbers etc... )

Edited by Richard-BKK

I rode my bicycle across the bridge at Nong Khai this time last year. Was able to time a break in the traffic and then sprinted across so I didn't hold up anyone. Didn't see any motorcycle though. Odd that they wouldn't let you through.

Let us know if you can get across there. I'd love to pop over to Vientiane on the motorcycle for some nice wine. Can't carry much on the bicycle.

I don't get it! The Aussie government build a bridge for the benefit of the people, no strings attached, but if your a tourist or expat you can't go across on a motorcycle! Seems strange?

I don't get it! The Aussie government build a bridge for the benefit of the people, no strings attached, but if your a tourist or expat you can't go across on a motorcycle! Seems strange?

Doesn't surprise me one bit. How many bridges in Bangkok are closed to motorcycles? TiT Baby! :D:D:o:D:D

• 1 year later...

I have crossed the Mukdahan / Savannakhet bridge 2 times with my thai registered motorcycle (Kawasaki ER6n) in 2009 and 2010.

the motorcycle is in my name, I have the required VEHICLE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE from the TRANSPORT OFFICE and everything went quite smooth on the bridge.

I am going to cross it again this year.

I am surprised that "The Friendship Bridge at Savannakhet / Mukdahan is still a definite no. no."

I will not try the Friendship Bridge at Nongkhai because I prefer to get my visa in Savannakhet, but I think it should be possible to cross the bridge with the same documents.

Claude

Dynabob

You won't be crossing into Laos at the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai or Mukdahan. The Friendship Bridges are NO GO for motorbikes into Laos. Exit is ok though. Funny eh?

So your next best bet is Beun Kan / Pakxan, 140 kms downstream from Nong Khai. After that it is Nakon Phanom / Tha Khek. Mukdahan is no motorbike entry into Laos across the Friendship Bridge. After that it is Chong Mek / Vang Tao.

There's heaps of info on the GT Rider Forum and website about documents required plus other tips 'n info.

I have crossed the Mukdahan / Savannakhet bridge 2 times with my thai registered motorcycle (Kawasaki ER6n) in 2009 and 2010.

the motorcycle is in my name, I have the required VEHICLE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE from the TRANSPORT OFFICE and everything went quite smooth on the bridge.

I am going to cross it again this year.

I am surprised that "The Friendship Bridge at Savannakhet / Mukdahan is still a definite no. no."

I will not try the Friendship Bridge at Nongkhai because I prefer to get my visa in Savannakhet, but I think it should be possible to cross the bridge with the same documents.

Claude

This past week tried to take my Phantom 200cc across the Nong Khai bridge. Bike is registered in my name. Got the required "passport" at the office in Nong Khai, no problem with that. Cost 25 Baht. Then at the first stop at the bridge filled out the customs papers and they "stamped" me out of Thailand. Then went to "booth 6" and was told "there was no way I could drive the motorcycle across the bridge". They did say I could put it on the back of a pick up truck. What the "hey". So ended up parking the bike and getting in the long queue for a Laos visa. Oh well, now I know.

For reasons that have never been well explained bikes are allowed to cross INTO Thailand but are NOT allowed to exit Thailand on the Friendship Bridges UNLESS you arrange for permission AHEAD of time via the Lao Embassy.

That's why most riders cross at one of the numerous land crossings and then cross the Mekong on a ferry- here we are buying our tickets-

121010MekongCrossing1SSR.jpg

On the ferry-

121010MekongCrossing4SSR.jpg

Riding off the ferry-

DSC07861Small.jpg

When I went to Laos in December we crossed from Nan province at Thungchang / Nam Nguen-

121010ThaiBorderSSR.jpg

Thai side above, looking back towards the Lao side below-

121010ThaiLaoBorderSSR.jpg

Took a while but everyone on both sides was pretty friendly and easy going and there were no scams or requests for tea money. Here I am, all papers in hand, after successful entry into Laos-

DSC07849Small.jpg

I think a bike has got to be the best way to explore Laos.

Hope you won't give up just because of a few restricted bridges! Laos is definitely worth a visit!

121010PakBengBeerLaoSSR.jpg

We exited back to Thailand via the Friendship Bridge at Vientienne.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks for that Tony. No I haven't given up and at some point in time I will take my bike to Laos via another entry than Nong Khai. It was somewhat on a "bet" that I tried the Nong Khai bridge because someone said to me,"how do I know for sure, if I never tried it myself. Just because I read it on the internet, doesn't mean it is sure". So, I said Ok, I'll give it a personal try. Now I know, cannot do the bridge in Nong Khai.

Great pictures. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Tony. No I haven't given up and at some point in time I will take my bike to Laos via another entry than Nong Khai. It was somewhat on a "bet" that I tried the Nong Khai bridge because someone said to me,"how do I know for sure, if I never tried it myself. Just because I read it on the internet, doesn't mean it is sure". So, I said Ok, I'll give it a personal try. Now I know, cannot do the bridge in Nong Khai.

Great pictures. Thanks again.

Hello Everybody !

I am now at Luang Nam Tha and entered laos crossing the bridge at Mukdahan/Savannakhet on 16 february 2011 for the second time (first time last year).

One year ago, it went quite smoothly and quicly, but this year I had to battle a littel because they told me at first they did not let motorbikes in...

then, I showed them my VEHICLE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE with the 2010 Mukdahan customs stamp, they phoned, and let me in...

Mukdahan is a nice city and there is not much traffic at the bridge.

When they are used to see motorcycle crossing, it will be no problem at all !

Claude

post-91243-0-26504600-1298492010_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

I can explain it to you, it's quite simple.

If they opened up the friendship bridge northbound at Nong Khai, Thailand into Vientiane Laos, they would have 400 Honda Wave's customs paperwork too deal with each way every day. That then leaves open the door to smuggling motorbikes through customs, the extra staff needed to manage this would be astronomical for no revenue.

For reasons that have never been well explained bikes are allowed to cross INTO Thailand but are NOT allowed to exit Thailand on the Friendship Bridges UNLESS you arrange for permission AHEAD of time via the Lao Embassy.

That's why most riders cross at one of the numerous land crossings and then cross the Mekong on a ferry- here we are buying our tickets-

On the ferry-

Riding off the ferry-

DSC07861Small.jpg

When I went to Laos in December we crossed from Nan province at Thungchang / Nam Nguen-

121010ThaiBorderSSR.jpg

Took a while but everyone on both sides was pretty friendly and easy going and there were no scams or requests for tea money. Here I am, all papers in hand, after successful entry into Laos-

DSC07849Small.jpg

Hope you won't give up just because of a few restricted bridges! Laos is definitely worth a visit!

Happy Trails!

Tony

I can explain it to you, it's quite simple.

If they opened up the friendship bridge northbound at Nong Khai, Thailand into Vientiane Laos, they would have 400 Honda Wave's customs paperwork too deal with each way every day. That then leaves open the door to smuggling motorbikes through customs, the extra staff needed to manage this would be astronomical for no revenue.

For reasons that have never been well explained bikes are allowed to cross INTO Thailand but are allowed to exit Thailand on the Friendship Bridges UNLESS you arrange for permission AHEAD of time via the Lao Embassy.

YESTERDAY AS I CROSS THE FRIENDSHIP BRIDGE BY OWN CAR, I BELIEVE I HAVE SEEN A SIGN ON THE FRIENDSHIP BRIDGE, NO BICICLE AND MOTORBYKE ALLOWED, only car on the street and on the small walking way for pedestrains.

BESIDE NEW, MANY EUROPEANS AS SWISS TOO NO NEED ANYMORE A VISA IF THEY STAY NOT LONGER THEN 15 DAYS, just stamp on arrival as in Thailand, this also safe 1 page of passport, no more big sticker, only entry and exit stamp

On the ferry-

Riding off the ferry-

DSC07861Small.jpg

121010ThaiBorderSSR.jpg

DSC07849Small.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony