Nan Immigration; An Experience To Share

Welcome to the real life impact of the 2009 immigration law in "Amazing Thailand".

If you unlucky enough to live in Phitsanulok Province and several others, you are now required to utilize the Nan immigration office for all immigration/visa actions. Oh yes, you will learn that they do not really do the processing at the Nan office, they only ask the questions and screen the submitted documents. Then they will inform you to walk over a block down the street to get a complete copy of all documents made so they will have a set to send to Ching Mai for processing. And yes, you will have to make the over six hour mountain drive a second time to retrieve your Chaing Mai processed Visa from the Nan immigration office.

Yes, it would have been much less time consuming, less expensive and more enjoyable to go to Ching Mai for the processing of the visa documents in the first place. But who would have ever given consideration of such things for those needing immigartion support by the police/immigration beaurcrats. Or maybe, a choice of several offices to use; Mae Sot or Nan or Ching Mai???

I would also remind you not to be fooled by the sign on the wall (in only Thai) that indicates that Visa extensions will be processed in 35 mins. and reentry documents will be processed in 7 mins. As experienced on a recent Monday, I arrived at the office at 0915 am and departed with my return visa pick-up date at 1415 pm; Yes, five hours. During this time, the three person crew (not counting the office clerk and outside office person (not sure of his role as he did not seem to do anything adding value to any process except ask a few questions of some people) processed two (2) non-immigation visa extensions and less than a dozen reentry permits. In both cases, the visa extensions where for farangs that have had at least two previous "Thai Wife" non-immigrant visas. All documents where available as where required for previous processing in Bangkok. But, this is not good enough for Nan. They advise they are breaking from Bangkok and will have there own requirements. So do not be surprised when they require your spouse to complete a new profile form which you will have to sign but can not read (only in Thai). They will also want to see and have copies of the 90 stay notification form; Bangkok never wanted to see or requested this document. They want copies of old (more that one year back) non-immigrant visas so suggest you have all old passports if visas span multiple passports.

Would be a real stretch of the immagination if they would document what is required and how many and forward it to everyone or post it on the police/immigration web site. Of course, they would then have to discontinue the free lancing and asking for things during the interview sessions that are not referenced in the documentation as required. Never happen!!!

For additional awareness; no one works on document processing during the lunch hour; TOTAL SHUT DOWN!! Air conditioning is only available in the office space and supports seating for six people in addition to those at the working desks. No number system is used to identify the arrival order of personnel!!

I hope the above has provided you with a bit of insight into your visit to the Nan immigration office as I experienced it.

Good luck and enjoy the trip to Nan.

Edited by sailorEd

I hope Mae Sot is not that bad when it is time for me to go.

For the last two years Suan Plu has been very slow due to the numbers, but when it was your turn I found them very efficient when you had the right paper work!!

:o:D

I hope Mae Sot is not that bad when it is time for me to go.

For the last two years Suan Plu has been very slow due to the numbers, but when it was your turn I found them very efficient when you had the right paper work!!

:o:D

Mae Sod is very friendly and efficient, although I not know about extensions based on marriage there. In almost 10 years I never had any problems or a long wait there.

SailorEd, I've got to go to Nan in May, sounds like a nightmare!

As I'm fairly new to this whole experience, (currently on 1st retirement visa), is there not some way a complaint can be made to immigration about this, possibly from ThaiVisa? Or am I being a tad optimistic that farangs have any rights here?

It would be helpful to the rest of us, if you could state what kind of visa you were applying for, and exactly what documents the immigration office asked for.

Thanks.

............... And yes, you will have to make the over six hour mountain drive a second time to retrieve your Chaing Mai processed Visa from the Nan immigration office.

Sounds like they have taken a leaf out of the Nong Khai book the only difference being there was no guarentee the the visa will be ready on the 2nd trip so there is a 3rd trip a month later.

This and the continual moving of the goal posts encouraged me to get the 12 + 12 month 'OA' visa from Perth. I've just started my 2nd year - Happy days!

As I'm fairly new to this whole experience, (currently on 1st retirement visa), is there not some way a complaint can be made to immigration about this, possibly from ThaiVisa? Or am I being a tad optimistic that farangs have any rights here?

It would be helpful to the rest of us, if you could state what kind of visa you were applying for, and exactly what documents the immigration office asked for.

Thanks.

I regret to say your optimism is without foundation here in Thailand relative to farangs. Knowing they have you by the short hair, even money will have little impact when it comes to government beauracrats.

I am working on the annual extension of a non-immigrant "Thai Wife" visa for the third time.

It is hard to speculate what documents they might ask you to provide. Each office seems to have different requirements and they most likely will change from year to year with the cycling of personnel and immigration laws.

The only suggestion I can give you is to take a copy of every immigration related document you have and all originals. Specifically income related, investment related, 90 stay filings, old visas, bank letters, bank book copies, etc.

Many listings of requirements are posted on this and various sites including the police/immigration site.

Good luck.

Thanks.

I regret to say your optimism is without foundation here in Thailand relative to farangs. Knowing they have you by the short hair, even money will have little impact when it comes to government beauracrats.

I am working on the annual extension of a non-immigrant "Thai Wife" visa for the third time.

It is hard to speculate what documents they might ask you to provide. Each office seems to have different requirements and they most likely will change from year to year with the cycling of personnel and immigration laws.

The only suggestion I can give you is to take a copy of every immigration related document you have and all originals. Specifically income related, investment related, 90 stay filings, old visas, bank letters, bank book copies, etc.

Many listings of requirements are posted on this and various sites including the police/immigration site.

Good luck.

This is TOTALLY INSANE! I am already pissed off!!!!!!!

I live in southern Petchaboon Province.........my trip to Nan by car or bus will likely take 10-15 hours. I plan on doing 90 day notifications by mail, but who knows? Maybe I will have to make what appears to be a trip from hel_l every 90 days.

In addition, if I decide to leave the country I think I have to go all the way to Nan just to get a re-entry permit. That is about as nuts as it gets!

Now you are telling me and others than even after the stupid, time-consuming trip you have to go a second time to pick up copies from the Chiang Mai Immigration Office...........that is even more nuts!!!!!!!

These visa changes--over the past 10 years--are mired in xenophobia. They do not want us here. They do not like mixed marriages...............I only wish our governments would start treating THEM like they are treating US.

...........They do not want us here. They do not like mixed marriages...............I only wish our governments would start treating THEM like they are treating US.

They do not want us here. NO - but they need and want our money.

They do not like mixed marriages. YES - but we are feeding and watering at least one and probably a whole family of em.

I only wish our governments would start treating THEM like they are treating US. ??? In most cases I feel our governments treat them worse when it comes to visas. BUT in saying that getting TW and her Daughter Australian residency was a cake walk.

At the end of the day it's the lack of technology (or how to use it) that is creating most of our problems.

My 2 Satangs worth

Strongly agree on the absolutely ridiculous situation where you will need to visit your allocated office for a re-entry visa, should you need one that was not anticipated in advance.

There has been much discussion here over recent days on the 90 day report, but at least you can send that in.

But the Re-entry matter is one that surely needs to get a reasonable hearing somewhere, do we have any voice at all?

sailorEd, thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions, and for your advice, much appreciated.

Might I suggest you take along a supply of spinach next year, seems to work wonders for you nautical chaps. :o

Cheers

WeeGB

JRTexas, Hope the following is helpful to you.

I sent off my first ever 90 day report by registered post, a few days before it was due. After two weeks, I'd heard nothing and posted questions on here. It seems that immigration is supposed to send some form of receipt card, to let you know the form is being processed, but I didn't get one. My wife rang the office at BKK immigration, as I was worried, and she was told it can take up to a month.

I finally got my report back, along with a letter asking me to send it in sooner (!), although it was sent in advance.

I would strongly recommend that you get a receipt from the post office for your registered letter, when you post your 90 day report, mine stated where the letter was going, and what it contained, it may be helpful, if you have to wait a long time, like I did. Also, you need to enclose a 10 Baht SAE, NOT a 5 Baht SAE, as is stated on the immigration website. There are comments on here advising people use an alternative mail system, but the immigration site clearly states "by registered post", this can apparently, take up to a week to get to it's destination.

Hope this helps

Cheers

WeeGB

It isn't clear from the first post why a second trip is needed. How long does it take them to process the visa--hours, days, weeks?

I assume he is talking about an extension based on marriage to a Thai. A second trip is always need for this.

JRTexas, Hope the following is helpful to you.

I sent off my first ever 90 day report by registered post, a few days before it was due. After two weeks, I'd heard nothing and posted questions on here. It seems that immigration is supposed to send some form of receipt card, to let you know the form is being processed, but I didn't get one. My wife rang the office at BKK immigration, as I was worried, and she was told it can take up to a month.

I finally got my report back, along with a letter asking me to send it in sooner (!), although it was sent in advance.

I would strongly recommend that you get a receipt from the post office for your registered letter, when you post your 90 day report, mine stated where the letter was going, and what it contained, it may be helpful, if you have to wait a long time, like I did. Also, you need to enclose a 10 Baht SAE, NOT a 5 Baht SAE, as is stated on the immigration website. There are comments on here advising people use an alternative mail system, but the immigration site clearly states "by registered post", this can apparently, take up to a week to get to it's destination.

Hope this helps

Cheers

WeeGB

Yes..........it did help.......thanks for the constructive post. I can imagine a lawsuit in the making.........farang expat needs to return to country of origin asap but can't because of the crazy rule that states you must get a reentry permit in a particular province.

Imagine treating Thais living in the USA like that. I can see it now.........the Thai lives in Florida, but must get a reentry permit and take care of all visa matters in Denver, Colorado..............sounds crazy? Well............

I have used the Nan office 3 times for 1 year extension of retirement stay and muti re-entry permits

It was always done quickly (within 1 hour of my arrival) and they even gave me 2 residence certificates each time (free of charge)

It is indeed a small office which closes for lunch 1 hour and it is more of a side road shop house type of building than an office.

The only aircon area is a small room at the back.

It is very laid-back but there is (or at least in my cases) no real waiting time as there are very few customers.

If you do not have all the documents copies, yes you will have to go down the road to the copy machine shop to have them done.

Plan on a day out in the clear fresh mountain area and enjoy the drive !

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Nan Immigration for my 6th Retirement Visa Extension. This was my first trip to Nan for the visa extension, previously I had them done in Chiang Mai. It was an easy matter and took about 2 hours, including a quick trip to a local clinic to get a health certificate which they require. I also got a multiple Re-Entry Visa at the same time. The two copies of documents they required in addition to those I had done beforehand were done on the premises for 2 Baht each without hassle.

All together it was a pleasant experience, but then I like to mention that I also had never any problems in Chiang Mai as well.

there are very few customers.

I don't think there is an appreciation of the tidal wave of expats who are going to start showing up as the new rules mean everyone from Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, and Nan itself are going to go to that small room. Do you think they have upped staff and facilities to to handle 10 times the work load? Looks like not, they seem to process people serially.

If you do not have all the documents copies, yes you will have to go down the road to the copy machine shop to have them done.

Right, but I see no way people can be expected to know they need 2 copies of everything. This has never been the case in Bangkok nor does it seem documented anywhere on the web. Ultimately it will waste time of thousands of people running off to get the extra copy which is pretty good drive away from that office. If Nan needs an extra copy, I would think they could get a copy machine and do it themselves or save a tree and scan it in.

Plan on a day out in the clear fresh mountain area

When I went the forests throughout the north were all being burned and the atmosphere was awful. Visibility was very limited. Most of the day the sun or even blue sky were never visible. I never had the opportunity to get a good view of anything the whole trip due to the smoky haze shrowding the views. I was very happy to get out of there and be back in Phetchabun with clearer, healthier air.

and enjoy the drive !

It takes a good day to drive there from Phetchabun, much further than Bangkok of course which really makes the new rules wasteful. At one point I found myself navigating on a road that the map showed as a regular highway, but turned out to be a one lane dirt road through the forest for miles and miles. It was a bit nerve wracking with gullies washed through the road that only a truck could traverse, rubble, and no guard rails on huge cliffs as I drove slowly praying no one would meet me on the blind curves. That's the furthest I have ever driven in Thailand and I do not wish to make that harrowing journey again. It was also a very sad trip to see all the forest burning. Some places in what should have been tropical forest looked more like the surface of the moon.

• 1 month later...