Opening Bank Account With No Work Permit

mooro_uk

Hi guys, does anyone have any first hand experience of opening a Thai bank account in Bkk (any bank will do) without having a work permit or non immigrant B visa. Have tried several banks in Esplanade and around Sukhumvit, but no luck so far! I assume it is still possible to open an account without these documents??

Cheers

No, Kasikorn doesn't have any special requirement that you have connections or any papers from your embassy, in the experience of many friends with whom I've talked and who have accounts there (could have changed I suppose). Most Kasikorn banks in Bangkok are easy as pie. Don't need any special letters or anything, just a passport. They even give you online banking but it's pretty minimal and mostly just serves for a place to check your balance, or so I've heard.

Other places are usually more difficult. I like SCB (Siam Commercial Bank), but the only way I could get an account was with a work permit. My office wouldn't let me walk around with my work permit as they paid for it, so I took copies of the pages. The SCB branches anywhere wouldn't let me and said I had to go to the head branch near the Elephant Tower, which I did, and it worked out fine.

Edit: And my friend that got a Kasikorn account said all he had was a tourist visa.

Edited by Jimjim

In theory all banks will open a savings account with just a passport, I say in theory because if you ask different branches or even different tellers in the same bank you will get a different answer.

I opened an account with the Bank of Ayudhya when I was living in Hua Hin when I moved to Bangkok I asked to transfer the account to a local branch "no cannot, you need a work permit" so I went down the road and opened an account with Kasikorn in a few minutes.

I stress a savings account, not a current account with a cheque book, I pay all my bills via their internet banking system and use their visa debit card for shopping. You cannot use their debit card online, but they will give you a virtual credit card to use on line.

Whilst I am happy with Kasikorn other people are happy with their own banks, there have been loads of threads on this subject.

In short go from bank to bank, and you will get an account opened.

Right so sounds like Kasikorn is my best bet then. All I'm interested in is a simple savings account, but internet banking would be welcome too. Cheers for the advice!

I have also heard rumours that it's possible to open an account (with no work permit) at a bank's head office. For example Bangkok bank's head office in Silom. Does anyone know if this is the case??

Apologies if this topic has been done to death in other forums, but I'm too lazy to find it! :o

I tryed at Siam Commercial in BKK, and got rejected..

Kasikorn was easy, tourist visa + an address..... but i did it in Pattaya, BKK should be same though... Got charged 300bht for ATM card that you get instantly... And yes you get internet banking..

I tryed at Siam Commercial in BKK, and got rejected..

Kasikorn was easy, tourist visa + an address..... but i did it in Pattaya, BKK should be same though... Got charged 300bht for ATM card that you get instantly... And yes you get internet banking..

I got a bank account in Krung Thai on a ED visa.

They also offered me credit if I could deposit 50.000 baht.

Hi guys, does anyone have any first hand experience of opening a Thai bank account in Bkk (any bank will do) without having a work permit or non immigrant B visa. Have tried several banks in Esplanade and around Sukhumvit, but no luck so far! I assume it is still possible to open an account without these documents??

On Monday this week, I opened 2 accounts -- one at Kasikorn and the other at Bangkok Bank -- with nothing more than my passport (and the 1-year non-O visa inside it) and a small amount of cash.

I used the branches at Chamchuri Square -- every bank in Thailand must have a branch there (all on the first floor)... so if one turns you down, just move on to the next, without ever leaving the comfort of air conditioning.

I have no work permit, but I do have an address in Thailand (which they asked for, but did not verify).

They even give you online banking but it's pretty minimal and mostly just serves for a place to check your balance, or so I've heard.

Actually, the reason I chose Kasikorn was for its "K-cyber" access. You can link your Kasikorn account to a Paypal account, and then use Paypal transfers to fund your Kasikorn account. Saves on some fees.

And the reason I chose Bangkok Bank was because it has a branch in the States. If you do an ACH transfer from a US bank, using the SWIFT code for Bangkok Bank's New York City branch, but your account number in Bangkok, the ACH transfer won't have any of the international fees.

Cheers

I came into Thailand with a tourist visa, prepared to wait for the official bits to grind their way through. I explained to my Thai neighbour that I needed a bank account and that my real visa was 'in the works'. He took me to the nearest bank (Bangkok Bank) and talked to the teller there. I walked out with a bank account. A week later a friend of mine (a real tourist) also wanted a bank account in Thailand (she's here often). We went through the same process for her, no prob. At no point since has Bangkok Bank asked for an updated status and that was four years ago.

Take a Thai. Dress in a presentable manner. And remember that it's no big deal as you are giving them YOUR money to watch over (which is not a crime).

They even give you online banking but it's pretty minimal and mostly just serves for a place to check your balance, or so I've heard.

Actually, the reason I chose Kasikorn was for its "K-cyber" access. You can link your Kasikorn account to a Paypal account, and then use Paypal transfers to fund your Kasikorn account. Saves on some fees.

And the reason I chose Bangkok Bank was because it has a branch in the States. If you do an ACH transfer from a US bank, using the SWIFT code for Bangkok Bank's New York City branch, but your account number in Bangkok, the ACH transfer won't have any of the international fees.

What fee's are you referring to? Do you mean instead of doing an international transfer from your domestic based bank?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but I have another Q and seemed easier to address in one posting

Also I know you have to pay fee's to deposit into someone's account in Thailand. However, what about internet banking, is the fee still applicable? If so is the fee applicable regardless of whether you're transferring to the same bank in Thailand?

Thanks as usual

I went to one BK Bank they said no, I went a few blocks to another they said Ok but I had to show my work permit once I got it or, presumably, they would close my account. I believe I did have the Non-B visa at the time, but maybe not, I don't recall.

My boss insisted it could be done with no problems with just passport, and he's lived here for 10+ years.

SB

• 3 weeks later...

A little more than a year ago, I opened an account at the Siam City Bank Klongtoey branch (on Rama 4, near Tesco and Carefour) no promblem at all - I only had to show my passport! Good luck.

chianghaibruce

re ....... Refer multiple recent threads on the same endlessly duplicated topic in:

getting a thaivisa subforum

business/investment subforum

general subforum

were your comments informative to anyone = NO

were these comments productive = NO

was this / your input helpfull to anyone = NO

If you have no HELPFULL input it best to keep quiet my friend

.... enjoy ... dave2

Cheers

I opened an account at Bangkok Bank in Feb. I had only a Non-Im O single entry. I had to have a Thai guanantor (sp?). Anyone with a job, basically.

Good Luck!

I opened a passbook account with Siam Commercial in Pattaya, armed only with passport and tourist visa. It was my laywer (I had just bought a property) who referred me to the bank manager, and apparently all the rules about having the appropriate visas for bank accounts did not apply because bank manager knew my lawyer! At no stage has banked ever asked or folowed up about my visa or property details.

I think if you dressed "politely", bring a lump sum to deposit and gave some convincing BS about how you are applying for work permit, you might succeed too. Or else, ask someone who knows a bank manager to refer you.

chianghaibruce

re ....... Refer multiple recent threads on the same endlessly duplicated topic in:

getting a thaivisa subforum

business/investment subforum

general subforum

were your comments informative to anyone = NO

were these comments productive = NO

was this / your input helpfull to anyone = NO

If you have no HELPFULL input it best to keep quiet my friend

.... enjoy ... dave2

Well Dave, my post was more helpful than starting a new thread to simply generate pretty much identical responses to all the Thai banking threads already in the system .. and sure as hel_l more helpful than your sniping. "Friend"? Erm, let me get back to you on that

It was helpful because I was flagging the wealth of info already here in TV to be mined by anyone who is interested - though many don't seem to realise - hence starting new threads rather than building on existing ones

:o

Edited by chiangmaibruce

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking to buy a condo in Thailand you need too bring the money from outside Thailand. To do so you need an account and nothing but your passport in any major bank.

Of course actually finding a condo to buy could take forever. Meanwhile enjoy your banking :o

Hello,

where is the best place to open a Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok ?

I mean a place which it will be OK to open an account without a work permit, however i will have an ED visa to show (i'm a student) and more than 500k baht to deposit.

i want also internet banking option enabled if it's possible.

Thx a lot by advance.

Hello,

I mean a place which it will be OK to open an account without a work permit, however i will have an ED visa to show (i'm a student) and more than 500k baht to deposit.

Thx a lot by advance.

nobody can answer ? :o

Hello,

Thx a lot by advance.

nobody can answer ? :o

See HERE for my recent experience with Kasikorn. They give Internet banking and a virtual payment card for online shopping. Passport and an address required - ED visa, likely but you only have to ask. Phrom Pong branch (corner of Suk Soi 33) didn't bat an eyelid.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Thx a lot by advance.

nobody can answer ? :)

See HERE for my recent experience with Kasikorn. They give Internet banking and a virtual payment card for online shopping. Passport and an address required - ED visa, likely but you only have to ask. Phrom Pong branch (corner of Suk Soi 33) didn't bat an eyelid.

Thx for your report but i wrote Bangkok Bank account in my post, not a K-Bank account.

I know K-bank is the most easy thai bank to open an account but i want a Bangkok Bank account only for some reasons.

So nobody can answer me ?