Making Baby A British Citizen

Hi all, just wondering:

Say you were British but you married a thai man and went over to live over there, then you had a child, would your child be elegible for a British Passport as you already have British citizenship. Would the child be classed as British or would the child have to be born in UK.

Regardless of where the child was born it would automatically have British citizenship through the mother (something that doesn't apply with men, their names must be on the birth cert to register the child as British). Providing that the Thai father was named on the birth certificate then the child would also be eligable for Thai passport & citizenhip, meaning it can have dual nationality & two passports. This makes life easier with travel beyween the two countries & means that the child doesn't need a visa for either. If you are in the UK contact the Home office & Thai Embassy in London for advise or if in LOS contact the MFA & British Embassy in Bangkok for rules & application forms.

Please let us know of any process you go through to help future posters.

Thanks

Boo

Spot on Samran. :o The legal term is British "other than by descent". In 99.9 % of cases that means that the parent passing on the British citizenship was born in the UK.

So to use the OP's circumstances as an example, providing she is British other than by descent her child born in Thailand will be British too. However, the child will be British by descent which means that any children the child may have in the future, if born outside of the UK, will have no entitlement to British citizenship.

Whether or not the child's birth is recorded at the British embassy a claim to citizenship is life-long. At any time a British passport would be issued providing that the entitlement can be established.

Scouse.

something that doesn't apply with men, their names must be on the birth cert to register the child as British

And the birth must be legitimate; i.e. the parents need to be married, although a subsequent marriage can legitimise an earlier birth.

The reason why this is so? To stop the offspring of promiscuous serial-shagging British blokes having a claim to British citizenship. After all, a woman can give birth to (generally) one child every 9 months whilst a bloke could, in theory, inseminate a different woman every day.

Scouse :o

something that doesn't apply with men, their names must be on the birth cert to register the child as British

And the birth must be legitimate; i.e. the parents need to be married, although a subsequent marriage can legitimise an earlier birth.

The reason why this is so? To stop the offspring of promiscuous serial-shagging British blokes having a claim to British citizenship. After all, a woman can give birth to (generally) one child every 9 months whilst a bloke could, in theory, inseminate a different woman every day.

I believe there is an extra-statutory concession to allow him to register his bastards.

The chances of a bloke managing to successfully inseminate a woman a day are pretty remote. The record number of sons begotten (in a lifetime) by a single man seems to be 154, by Fath Ali Shah, the 2nd king of the Qajar dynasty in Persia. He is supposed to have regarded the establishment of a large royal family as a matter of duty.

I believe there is an extra-statutory concession to allow him to register his bastards.

The chances of a bloke managing to successfully inseminate a woman a day are pretty remote. The record number of sons begotten (in a lifetime) by a single man seems to be 154, by Fath Ali Shah, the 2nd king of the Qajar dynasty in Persia. He is supposed to have regarded the establishment of a large royal family as a matter of duty.

maybe he just liked shaggin'

Spot on Samran.  :o  The legal term is British "other than by descent". In 99.9 % of cases that means that the parent passing on the British citizenship was born in the UK.

The 0.1%: are you referring to people who obtained british nationality because they were born on a british colony ?

Spot on Samran.  :o  The legal term is British "other than by descent". In 99.9 % of cases that means that the parent passing on the British citizenship was born in the UK.

The 0.1%: are you referring to people who obtained british nationality because they were born on a british colony ?

Not necessary for it to be a British Colony, I think it also means that people who gained British Nationality via naturalisation (and there are lots of them too). From what I understand (and correct me if I am wrong scouse) is that if someone born overseas has made the choice to become a British National, they also have the right to pass on British Nationaliy to their children, if that child happens to be born overseas at some later stage.

So, Iam a british guy, born in England, now live in THailand, married to a THai. My wife is having a baby how do i get dual citizenship for the child ?

Your wife will probably know how to do all the stuff required as a Thai citizen. As for British citizenship, you just need to go to the British embassy and apply for a British passport. You'll probably need to take your passport, the baby's and your birth certificate.

Not necessarily, as birth in a Brtish colony does not automatically confer British citizenship. People from the remaining British colonies are classed as British Dependent Territories Citizens and do not have the right of abode in the UK. The exceptions to this are nationals of Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands who are deemed to be British citizens for political reasons. A BDTC would have to go through the same naturalisation process as a foreign national in order to become a British citizen unless he had some other qualification.

Not necessary for it to be a British Colony, I think it also means that people who gained British Nationality via naturalisation (and there are lots of them too). From what I understand (and correct me if I am wrong scouse) is that if someone born overseas has made the choice to become a British National, they also have the right to pass on British Nationaliy to their children, if that child happens to be born overseas at some later stage.

Yes, people who have naturalised are Britsh other than by descent.

Cheers,

Scouse.