Schengen Visa, Does It Really Matter Which Country?

i just called the Swiss and Italian embassy to get an appointment for my wife but to my surprise wasn't able to get an appointment before the middle of next month!

does it really matter which country issues the schengen visa however? i know its supposed to be the first country you visit or the one you plan to spend the most time in, but do they care when you arrive in another country first? could I say we are going to another country and book a hotel but actually go somewhere else? after all, travel plans change all the time? what do you think?

thx steve

I'm also interested in this. If I take the missus to the UK for a break, of course she needs a visa. However, if we want to go to Spain, France or see her sister in Holland, do we really need a visa for each country or is there one visa for Europe which the UK is not part of ?

I'm also interested in this. If I take the missus to the UK for a break, of course she needs a visa. However, if we want to go to Spain, France or see her sister in Holland, do we really need a visa for each country or is there one visa for Europe which the UK is not part of ?

the schengen visa covers almost all of mainland europe including Spain, France and Holland. you only need the one schengen visa and you can freely travel in all schengen countries. you can apply at any of those embassies but that's not my question. i want to apply in a country i may not visit

the schengen visa covers almost all of mainland europe including Spain, France and Holland. you only need the one schengen visa and you can freely travel in all schengen countries. you can apply at any of those embassies but that's not my question. i want to apply in a country i may not visit

The Shengen visa once issued is good to visit all the participating countries (most of western Europe but not the UK)

It does not matter which country issues your visa BUT you are supposed to apply to EITHER the first Shengen country you will enter on your trip (whether you stay there or whether you just land and fly or drive immediately to another Shengen country OR to the country where you will spend most of your time in the Shengen area during your trip.

Each country has its own rule as to what evidence (ticket, insurance, hotel reservation, funds, etc.) they require before they issue you with a Shengen visa.

The visa application form however is the same for all countries

A Schengen visa is valid for all Schengen states (see here) and although one is supposed to obtain the visa from the state where you will first enter the area or spend the majority of time it does not really matter if you go to another one first.

When applying remember that many of the questions and requirements do not apply if the applicant is the spouse of a British citizen; read the form carefully.

Edited by 7by7

A Schengen visa is valid for all Schengen states (see here) and although one is supposed to obtain the visa from the state where you will first enter the area or spend the majority of time it does not really matter if you go to another one first.

When applying remember that many of the questions and requirements do not apply if the applicant is the spouse of a British citizen; read the form carefully.

so if she gets a schengen visa at say the French embassy but arrives in Italy first, it sounds like there will be no problem right?

Can you give a little more info about this and maybe some links. We live in uk and I am uk passport holder.

I want to make travel for my thai wife and I as simple as possible until she gets uk passport.

Many thanks

Edited by benjamat

Can you give a little more info about this and maybe some links. We live in uk and I am uk passport holder.

I want to make travel for my thai wife and I as simple as possible until she gets uk passport.

Many thanks

Benjamat, I've been advised that the best place to get a schengen visa is any french consulate.

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/IMG/pdf/visagb.pdf

so if she gets a schengen visa at say the French embassy but arrives in Italy first, it sounds like there will be no problem right?

I advise you to give them a call. Knowing the French consulate, I'm not sure they'll appreciate to see a BKK-Rome plane ticket.

Also they told me once that if they reject an application, it was useless to re-apply in another Shengen consulate since they notify every consulate that they have rejected your application.

Call them.

Obviouusly one should apply to the embassy of the country one intends to visit. However a Schengen visa is valid for all the Schengen states. Therefore it does not matter if one obtains it from, for example, France but then travels to Italy. If questioned simply say that you changed your plans.

If applying as a spouse of an EU or EEA national then one does not have to provide any proof of travel or details of where staying etc.

See Spouse and children of an European Union citizen from the French embassy in London.

When we got one for TW, the rules WERE that the visa should be issued by the country in which you would spend the most time.

In our case, it came from the German Embassy although our tickets to Europe were in through CDG & out through Frankfurt. We adjusted the

itinerary to show more time in Germany than elsewhere.

Naturally, the different embassies may have changed the rules since then - but according the Luxembourg CG, this is still the case.

Edited by pgs

I know several people who have got Schengen visas from an Embassy and then not visited that country. I don't think immigration usually ask about the itinerary once you have got the visa, although, if they did, it could theoretically cause a problem, if you don't have a ticket to visit that country at all. But they would probably still let you in, if you say you changed your plans after getting the visa. I should the risk is low enough to be worth taking, if queues are too big at the embassies of the countries you plan to visit. For applicants married to a UK national, as mentioned above, they don't need to show the hotel bookings. I am not sure if you need a flight ticket but you could buy one that you can cancel or change without penalty. Similarly you book hotels that allow cancellation without penalty for an applicant not married to an EU national.

I advise you to give them a call. Knowing the French consulate, I'm not sure they'll appreciate to see a BKK-Rome plane ticket.

Also they told me once that if they reject an application, it was useless to re-apply in another Shengen consulate since they notify every consulate that they have rejected your application.

Call them.

If you are a UK/EEA passport holders spouse, you do not need to show travel arrangement in document form. As under EU law, the spouse of a member is entitled to a visa, without a fee for travel to any other member state.

At the french embassy, my wife was given a 6 month multi entry visa, lodged in the morning and asked to return afternoon to collect.

Also, if you are UK/EEA passport holders spouse, when returning to collect visa, do not queue at the rear of the queue, just go to the front and show the UK/EEA passport and you will be allowed to jump the queue ahead of all non-UK/EEA passport holders.

There is even a separate waiting area inside.

Good luck.

p.s. when you arrive early in the morning at the queue, approach the police guards, and point out you are holding a UK/EEA passport, they may let you jump the queue there and then.

p.p.s. worth remembering, when you come back into the UK, you still have to queue in the non-member queue, and get her stamped back in to the UK., Even at Dover!

My Thai girlfriend and I intend to travel to the UK this summer and also mainland continental Europe. We plan to apply for a schengan visa via the Dutch Embassy as this will be the first country we arrive in, however, we're planning on taking the train from St Pancras to Amsterdam...will this be possible seeing that we will have to transit through Belgium before arriving in Holland?

Regards

Alex

My Thai girlfriend and I intend to travel to the UK this summer and also mainland continental Europe. We plan to apply for a schengan visa via the Dutch Embassy as this will be the first country we arrive in, however, we're planning on taking the train from St Pancras to Amsterdam...will this be possible seeing that we will have to transit through Belgium before arriving in Holland?

Regards

Alex

St Pancras is a railway station in Lonfdon = UK, is NO member of the Scghhengen agrement.

Means, as NON-EU citizen, you need a visa for UK.

From UK to Schengen ( = France, Belgium, NL etc etc, there is ONLY a border control entering that area. After that, only God and you inw, where you are, no inspection, no passport control, nothing.

You only might run in a police inspection, whne there is a .. car check ( happened with me.living in NL in the last 40 years 3 times ), and when you offend any traffic rule, police might ask you ( happened to me the last 40 years... 2 times ? )

Second: being illegal in the Schengen area is NOT a criminal offence. ( in fact, when you stay out of problems, nobody cares... ) There are more illegal persons in Europa as farangs in Thailand.

FORGET Europe as independant states. It is .. EU with some more countries, but no Switserland and Norway OR Schengen (immigration) agreement ( without UK, buth WITH Switserland) OR Euro-currency land ( without Switserland, UK, Denmark, Norway, Sweden)

states which belong to the Schengen area are European Union members, except Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, which are members of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA). Switzerland joined the bloc’s passport-free travel zone, the Schengen Area, in December 2008. Two EU members (the United Kingdom and Ireland) have opted not to fully participate in the Schengen system (their reasons are outlined here). The main reason that the non-EU states of Iceland and Norway joined was to preserve the Nordic Passport Union (see section Pre-Schengen free-travel zones in Europe).

The border controll is just as tight as the border between the STATE of Chonburi and the STATE of Rayong, etc. N O N E ! The best to see is the changement of car number plates. And when you leave your car: the language spoken.

For the rest: from Spain, via France, belgium, to Netherlands: you will even not SEE a border control.

Form UK into continental Europe: you MIGHT !

With my Thai business partner coming form Dover we tried to find one at Calais. Pity, not found.

i just called the Swiss and Italian embassy

Switzerland is not in the EU and hasn't signed the Schengen agreement.

Before publishing such wrong rumors, please do inform yourself! Switzerland has joined the Schengen-agreement last year and has been accepting Schengen-visa for years!!!! :-(

P.S. Seems you're right ("merde in France")

Edited by Sturbuc

If you are a UK/EEA passport holders spouse, you do not need to show travel arrangement in document form. As under EU law, the spouse of a member is entitled to a visa, without a fee for travel to any other member state.
That is not my experience with the Dutch embassy.

You can obtain a visa from any Schengen country, whether you'll go there or not, but officially you need to apply in the country you'll be spending the majority of your time. And they will ask for accommodation information etc., so applying in a country you will not spend any time in could end up a very bad idea, and I think it will end up being a very bad idea.

That is not my experience with the Dutch embassy.

You can obtain a visa from any Schengen country, whether you'll go there or not, but officially you need to apply in the country you'll be spending the majority of your time. And they will ask for accommodation information etc., so applying in a country you will not spend any time in could end up a very bad idea, and I think it will end up being a very bad idea.

EU/EEA family members:

Under Directive 2004/38/EC, a family member of an EU/EEA national does not require a visa for the Netherlands if he/she qualifies as a family member of a Union citizen to whom the provisions of this directive apply. The type of residence permit, the country of residence of the EU/EEA national and the actual details of the trip will determine if a visa is required for the specific trip.

from london NL embassy site:

http://www.netherlands-embassy.org.uk/pass.../index.php?i=56

Regards

Alex

17. Can I use my visa to enter Belgium via a non-Belgian airport?

You visa allows you to enter and leave the Schengen area via a Schengen country (lien FAQ quels sont les pays qui font partie du territoire Schengen) other than Belgium, so there is no problem if your flight takes off or lands in another Schengen country.

taken from the belgium embassy site:

http://www.diplomatie.be/en/travel/visa/fa...sp?TEXTID=40159