Monthly cost of living in thailand

george

Published in The  Nation on Jan 24, 2003

It's not difficult to live inexpensively and remain in the comfort zone in Thailand, even when taking into account FAT (foreigner added tax) - a surcharge on Westerners when entering temples, theme parks, crocodile farms, or Lumpini Stadium to watch Thai boxing (close to extortion at Bt500 for standing room at the back!).

To help you decide how much to spend, here is a cost spread of life's necessities and indulgences in Bangkok.

Keep in mind that the cost of living upcountry is substantially lower, especially rents, which can be more than one-third less.

Rent

A good-quality condo or apartment in the early sois off Sukhumvit costs between Bt25,000 and Bt50,000 a month to rent. They will have a fully-furnished kitchen, two bedrooms, a living/dining area, two bathrooms, and a swimming pool. Further down Sukhumvit in the Prakanong, Ekkamai and On Nut areas, less salubrious one- and two-bedroom apartments and condos go for between Bt8,000 and Bt12,000. Some have swimming pools, but the water may be very green and frogs may live in it.

A good-sized single room with a bathroom and sometimes a kitchenette, will cost between Bt3,000 and Bt6,000 a month in places outside the Sukhumvit/CBD high-rent areas. Accommodation in outer suburbs is good value. A large two-story house, with a big garden rents for Bt15,000 to Bt30,000; a substantial two-story townhouse with a small garden goes for between Bt10,000 and Bt15,000; and a smaller, two-bedroom townhouse costs between Bt5,000 and Bt7,000 a month. Decent, two-bedroom condos in these areas can start as low as Bt5,000 and Bt7,000, while if you are really down and out, get a room. It will only cost Bt1,000 to Bt2,500.

Power, Telephone, Water

The killer is air-conditioning. In a large condo or house with the air-con running most of the time, monthly power bills can reach Bt6,000. Even with moderate use, expect to pay around Bt3,000. Use sparingly and bills will be around Bt800 to Bt1,000. If you can live without, Bt500 or less is the benchmark.

Fixed-line telephone rental is Bt100 a month and local calls Bt3. Mobile phones are affordable, with adequate units starting at about Bt3,000. With pre-paid, cost-per-call SIM cards, monthly costs can be budgeted.

Note: Most condo managers add a surcharge for utility bills; the amount they charge depends on individual greed.

Food

Thailand is one of the few places were it is cheaper to eat out than at home. Food from street stalls is ridiculously cheap, the choice immense and it tastes great.

It would be difficult to spend Bt200 a day on three meals, including soft drinks and the occasional beer. Most restaurants selling Thai food are also inexpensive, but those selling European and other foreign cuisines often cost as much as those in the West, and the quality of food - with exceptions - is not all that good.

If you eat exclusively from street stalls (three meals a day), monthly food expenses will be under Bt4,500.

To buy Western-style groceries and eat at home, food bills will likely be around Bt10,000-plus.

If you eat exclusively at Western-style restaurants then you are mad. You will also be forking out about Bt30,000 a month. By mixing the choices; say having a light breakfast at home, eating at street stalls for lunch, local restaurants for dinner, and perhaps a Western or other foreign restaurant for lunch or dinner four or five times a week, then monthly food costs will be around Bt10,000 to Bt12,000.

Commuting

Taxis are cheap. Say an average Bt60 fare for getting to work and a side trip on the way home, plus four times a day on weekends, then the monthly costs are only about Bt5,000. Too expensive? Then take a bus. About Bt500 a month will get you further than you want to go.

Entertainment And Nightlife

We need a roof over our heads, we need to eat, we have to work, and to get to work - in most cases - we need to commute. But we don't have to go out.

Those of us with an expatriate wage, a generous nature and a disturbing lack of willpower can easily end up spending more money in a month than agreed upon by our creditors.

However, less flawed expatriates with more fiscal responsibility and/or short arms and long pockets can fill their evenings in bars, restaurants and other places of entertainment, spending moderate amounts and having an adequate time.

If you do decide to go out, it'll cost Bt120 to see a movie; Bt2,000 for a meal for two and some wine at a romantic restaurant; between Bt60 and Bt150 for a small bottle of beer or a spirit drink at bars frequented mainly by foreigners; and Bt90 to Bt100 for a large bottle of beer, Bt250 for a bottle of Thai whisky, and Bt5 for a song on the karaoke machine at the many bars that stay open well after police arrive and close those frequented by foreigners.

• 4 months later...

Twenty-five to Fifty Grand for a Sukumvit condo?

Hah!

My two story, four-bedroom, two living-room, two study/office, three-bathroom house in an enclosed half acre garden in an upmarket Chiang Mai neighborhood, including utilities and internet, costs a whole Twelve Thousand per month.

Chuck in my delightful part-time domestic helper and a visiting gardener and I'm still paying less than Fifteen -- and I'm tenminutes from the airport and Bangkok's less than an hour away for Six Grand return in Business Class -- or a six-hour drive -- quicker if no one's looking.

Best ones -- Brian  :o

An excellent post there from George.

I would just like to emphasise that life upcountry is much cheaper than BKK

My excellent three bed detached house costs 3000 per month and a large bottle of beer in my local pub is 50 baht

Note: Most condo managers add a surcharge for utility bills; the amount they charge depends on individual greed

Actually they don't.

Remember, a condominium is a block of flats owned by different people, an apartment block is owned by one person/entity.

In an APARTMENT block, yeah, you'll get screwed by utilities, but in a condo, the owner would be cheating himself. My rented condo, all utility bills come directly to me, so i pay the going rate.

But good point, especially with aircon. A cheap apartment with a heavy surcharge on electricity, with someone using a lot of aircon ain't cheap.... Add 4000 baht to your rent. Not pleasant.

I always say, look for condo.

Hi Brian,

Your two story, four-bedroom, two living-room, two study/office, three-bathroom house in an enclosed half acre garden in an upmarket Chiang Mai neighborhood, including utilities and internet, for Twelve Thousand per month.

That's great value!! Any more of those available?

marty