Thou Shall Not Buy Beer ...

buksida

Saturday afternoon, Big C shopping centre, Petchaburi ...

They have such a better range of goods here than in Hua Hin so I figured a weekend shopping session was long overdue. Now after pushing an overloaded trolley full of baby clothes, milk, nappies and groceries around this place for over an hour while the missus goes deep undercover into the depths of anti-wallet covert shopping action, I feel its almost destiny that befalls me when I reach the elusive beer aisle...

Disappointed that they don't have cases of Tiger yet, I opt for the regular fridge filler and slide a slab of Chang into the already burgeoning trolley, plus a bottle of the new San Miguel brew just for experimental purposes.

Finally we steer the uncontrollable beast towards the check out and jostle for position like an F1 driver just out of the pits. Through the gates, the tally is offensive but manageable, trolley in need of new wheels but loaded up and ready for the downhill slide when from nowhere, as if beamed down from the starship Enterprise herself, appear the Big C anti beer security squad.

Apparently, according to a new law passed by the Almighty “Toxin” himself, they are not allowed to sell alcohol until 5pm … its just gone four. The situation that ensues is somewhat comical but more distressing than it should be as the “beer pigs” rummage through my already paid for shopping cart in search of any contraband. My slab of Chang and experimental bottle of San Mig are wrenched from the trolley as the frustrated cashier fumbles at the controls trying to recalculate my tab.

Disgruntled but accepting the fact that this country is rapidly turning into a subtle but clearly present state of dictatorship I head back for Hua Hin with my violated groceries.

The thoughts running through my mind as I finally get to sup an elusive “cold one” while writing this is … “whatever next?”

Was driving down to Ranong last week and pulled into a petrol station at around 2.30 am to get a couple of beers. The signs re licencing hours were up on the cabinet. Thought I'd try a couple of cans of Chang. No problem. The sales girl didn't bat an eyelid. Maybe she couldn't be bothered to explain the situation to a farang.

It sounds like the sort of bullshite excuse the goverment seem to come out with thses days............

it's not only Thailand that comes up with stupid rules. In my native NZ, the law was changed about 4 years ago so you could buy beer and wine at supermarkets.The strange thing about this,was that it was illegal to buy grog from a supermarket on a sunday, but the pubs were open.... :o

• 4 weeks later...

It gets sillier!

The landlord of one on my regular haunts ran out of Archa last night (must have been a rush). I called in at just after noon today for lunch. "No Archa" he says, "I've got new but it's only been in the fridge for 1/2 hour - they wouldn't let me buy any until 11:00 am"

Had to drink *Chang*.

sure, this topic has been done to death but it is one that is a worry.

For example, am I going to have to time my flight home this time so I do not arrive at the airport in between 14-1700 so I can still buy my couple of "roadies" at the 7-11? I can't spend an hour and a half in the car (passenger side) without a beer on the trip home. Or, does the airport 7-11 sell at all hours still?

I'm guessing (before the moddys e-batter me to death for false info) that its regional and only certain shops are abiding as it doesnt seems to be enforced.

Just spent the weekend in Kanchanaburi and was able to buy beer at any time and any store.

The 7-11 at the end of my road wont sell between those times, yet the Family Mart across the street will .... where's the logic? Needless to say I don't shop in 7-11's anymore :o

I heard today that the reason for the 14:00 - 17:00 restriction on alcohol sales was to discourage schoolchildren from buying booze on their way home from school. Is this true?

So does this mean that its OK for the school kids to buy their cases of hooch at 1 minute passed the witching hour. :o

In all the times I have been over there I cant really remember ever seeing many of them dashing out of their "institutes of learning " in uniform to pack out the "off sales" dept of Big C-Tescos and haul their party sevens off into the night......or have i missed something?...Sure they hang about the malls but the ones I see tend to act fairly responsible and behave quite well.(always A.H.exceptions...little baskits)

On occasions our niece has gone up to the local 7-11 and picked up a couple of big bottles for me without any problems at 11-00 oclock at night.

They dont want me to walk pass the soi dogs in in the dark in case I bite one of them and give it rabies :D

From what I can gather its only the chain places that are affected Tuky.

Pull up at a small restaurant or shop and you'll get beer.

Yeah, thats what I figured Prof. I normally buy 3 bottles of Chang at the 7, then stop and the next place anyway :o well, a blokes not a camel is he?

In a way it is not such a bad thing if you look at it from the little blokes point of veiw. There are several hours each day that their business would probably pick up because of the ban.

• 3 weeks later...

You are however allowed to buy alcohol if you are buying over 10 litres, equivalent to 33 cans.

The same as the above happened to me in Carrefour Bangkok but there was s sign at the till telling me the above, so i just went back and got another crate of my fave, and had no problem. This was at about 3pm.

So, the moral of this story would seem to be that if you fancy a cheeky beer in the afternoon you cannot, but if you want to get totally leathered in the afternoon then you are free to go ahead and do it, the government says so!

So, the moral of this story would seem to be that if you fancy a cheeky beer in the afternoon you cannot, but if you want to get totally leathered in the afternoon then you are free to go ahead and do it, the government says so!

and we still talk about beer. How about something stronger ? even worst - had to wait until 5PM to buy one JW for my friend b'day. so, arrived late.

maybe there's a reason in it ? who knows - but I don't think many ppl buy booze before 11AM and between 2and 5 pm.