Which Visa?

I am confused about visas and hope someone can please advise me. I will be moving to Thailand within the next 2 months when my house is sold to live there with my girlfriend. I intend to start/buy some type of business when I find my feet there. I think the best visa for me will be a retirement visa as I’m now 50 years old. However I understand that initially I need a non imm ‘O’ visa, then I will apply for a retirement visa when I’m in Thailand. Is this the best procedure?

In the Hull website it says as follows……

WRITTEN GUARANTEE:-

Persons requiring Non-Immigrant Visas who are not able to provide a letter of employment or appointment or marriage certificate are required to provide a letter of guarantee from someone who is prepared to meet any costs incurred by the applicant which they cannot pay themselves including the cost of repatriation if necessary.

Does this mean that if it’s not work related then I do need a letter from a friend?

Cheers

Phil

I am confused about visas and hope someone can please advise me. I will be moving to Thailand within the next 2 months when my house is sold to live there with my girlfriend. I intend to start/buy some type of business when I find my feet there. I think the best visa for me will be a retirement visa as I’m now 50 years old. However I understand that initially I need a non imm ‘O’ visa, then I will apply for a retirement visa when I’m in Thailand. Is this the best procedure?

In the Hull website it says as follows……

WRITTEN GUARANTEE:-

Persons requiring Non-Immigrant Visas who are not able to provide a letter of employment or appointment or marriage certificate are required to provide a letter of guarantee from someone who is prepared to meet any costs incurred by the applicant which they cannot pay themselves including the cost of repatriation if necessary.

Does this mean that if it’s not work related then I do need a letter from a friend?

Cheers

Phil

It is not gonna be easy to run a business on an O visa unless you are married to a Thai Hull will accept that guarantee from a friend ( the guarantee is worthless anyway }

Phil, phone Hull, tell them you are planning to invest here or buy a buissiness ask them which visa you should apply for and they will tell you what documents you will need.

If they don't help, phone Birmingham, they are pretty good there.

Best of luck

I am confused about visas and hope someone can please advise me. I will be moving to Thailand within the next 2 months when my house is sold to live there with my girlfriend. I intend to start/buy some type of business when I find my feet there. I think the best visa for me will be a retirement visa as I’m now 50 years old. ....

You could get an O-A visa - needs more paperwork to be done in the UK, but that's the one I got. There are plenty of topics in this forum on the subject - try using the search facility. :o BUT you can't work with that type of visa.

Hi Phil,

I think I'm right in saying that the Hull Consulate will refer you to the London Embassy if you're going to apply for the "retirement visa"; nevertheless, it shouldn't be a problem if you meet the financial criteria.

You could also apply for the "B" (business) visa - through Hull - on the basis that you're going to Thailand to explore business opportunities. That's what I ended up doing - although I am over 50 and therefore eligible for the retirement visa.

If you do go for the retirement visa route from the start, you can still change over later if/when the business opportunity presents itself. I asked exactly that question on this forum a few weeks back.

Good luck with it all.