I Can't Find English Script Thai Roads In Garmin

rugbyjacks

This is really starting to frustrate me! :D

I used Tom Tom back home in England and never had any problems finding anywhere cos I could just type in the post code.

We bought a car and garmin recently and it seems that everytime I try to find anywhere in the Garmin, it never finds the roads.

I guess it's because of the spelling? Obviously Thai words can be interpreted many different ways into English script! :D

Does anybody have any tips on particular ways that stuff is spelt in Garmin? Or is it possible to make it start searching for names before you've fully typed them? I'm typing in great long road names, then sitting there for 5 minutes while it searches and then it comes back with no matches!!! i.e. Bangna-trad Road, Soi Wat Luangproto...... Arrgh!! I can't even tell where it is that I'm going wrong to be able to correct my spelling!

Does anyone have any tips? This is driving me nuts!!! :o

The Thai address system leaves a LOT to be desired as well as road and soi names. When all else fails, I try to find coordinates on Google Earth. Put in the coordinates and the Garmin will take you there. The easiest way is to find a point of interest, like a hotel, school, police station, wat, etc. It also depends on your Garmin. With my 2610 Street pilot, it won't allow you to misspell names. When searching, it highlights letters that are in spellings that are on the map. Only those letters are able to be typed into the search. Unfortunately my newer Nuvi 750 doesn't have that feature.

Even cities are sometimes a problem. Normally Jomtien is spelled Jomtien but with the ESRI map it is spelled Chomthian.

You should have some idea of where you want to go and if I am away from my computer, the best way I have found is to study the may and find a waypoint near where I want to go.

This is going to sound strange, but it seems easy for me to type in the names I'm looking for in the ESRI maps. Don't know if it's because I'm American who spent a majority of his life around Hispanics, but the transliterated Thai USUALLY comes fairly easily. Plus, on my Zumo 550, typing in part of the name and hitting done usually pops up a list of several variations or cities. General idea of the distance to the location allows me to select the proper one and the ESRI spelling is mentally noted for future reference.....

Yeah is there a good online source for Thai roads in English words?

The problem is they are all different..

On garmins moobaan is mu ban etc.. As above I find using nearby hotels, nearby POI's or intersections and other points easier than roads.. I also spend a fair bit of time waypointing places and keeping them in google and get mates to placemark a house if I need to go there. I use GPSBabel to move google earth / google maps into garmin formats.

• 2 weeks later...