Unwanted Norton Bug

LeungKen

After trying out Bit Torrent (which I have subsequently uninstalled) I seem to have picked up some sort of a "Bug".

Every time I go online I find that "Norton" installs itself. I have uninstalled (several times it and it keeps appearing. What can I do about it as it's driving me crazy.

I already have an anti-virus (eset-smart) that has always worked well in the past but seems unable to remove this little "bugger"

Thanks in anticipation.

Can you identify the .exe file that installs it from Task Manager after you have turned on and connected to the internet?

I'm tempted to look through all your installed programs to see if there is an installer listed there? (add/remove programs)

Do you have ad-aware - might identify the source? (she swallowed a dog to catch the cat...)

After trying out Bit Torrent (which I have subsequently uninstalled) I seem to have picked up some sort of a "Bug".

Every time I go online I find that "Norton" installs itself. I have uninstalled (several times it and it keeps appearing. What can I do about it as it's driving me crazy.

I already have an anti-virus (eset-smart) that has always worked well in the past but seems unable to remove this little "bugger"

Thanks in anticipation.

I take it you're talking about Norton antivirus? If so the only way I 've found to remove it permantly is to go to the symantec web site here http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...004110113064039 and use their own uninstall program. I'd bought new computer which had Norton already installed on it and it was a right pain. Because they've designed the program so it can't be uninstalled in the usual way they've got their own uninstall/reinstall program for people who use Norton and it's been corrupted. Obviously in your case, like me, you just stop after the uninstall part.

Thanks in anticipation.

I take it you're talking about Norton antivirus? If so the only way I 've found to remove it permantly is to go to the symantec web site here http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...004110113064039 and use their own uninstall program. I'd bought new computer which had Norton already installed on it and it was a right pain. Because they've designed the program so it can't be uninstalled in the usual way they've got their own uninstall/reinstall program for people who use Norton and it's been corrupted. Obviously in your case, like me, you just stop after the uninstall part.

According to that I did a quick search and found a very interesting article on CNET Norton's Revenge addressing this issue.

Thanks in anticipation.

'sumrit', I think you've hit the nail on the head. 'Though I may have to go slowly through it as it looks like I have a ghost that keeps reinstalling itself, now what I have to work out is which Norton anti-virus it is, as there appears to be several. Is nothing simple in the computer world ?

Thanks to all of the above for your combined knowledge and assistance, all I need now is a quiet hour or 2 to have a go at downloading the unistallation proram to enable me to uninstall !!! Does that sound right ? :o