Dual Citizenship, 2 Passports And 2 Different Names

Hi, I'm a dual citizenship (thai/american). I have 2 passports , but with 2 different names. My thai passport is under my original thai name and on the US passport is under my new american name (I have changed both first and last name). I'm planning to go back thailand to visit my family and stay there for about a year. My question is , should I purchase the plane ticket under my thai name or my american name? Is it going to be an issue if the name on the ticket and the passport doesn't match? Should i get in with thai passport, us or both? Any help would be appreciated , thanks

Hi, I'm a dual citizenship (thai/american). I have 2 passports , but with 2 different names. My thai passport is under my original thai name and on the US passport is under my new american name (I have changed both first and last name). I'm planning to go back thailand to visit my family and stay there for about a year. My question is , should I purchase the plane ticket under my thai name or my american name? Is it going to be an issue if the name on the ticket and the passport doesn't match? Should i get in with thai passport, us or both? Any help would be appreciated , thanks

I would think buy the ticket with the name that is on your Thai Passport. Use that Passport to enter Thailand then you will not need a Visa. Exit Thailand with that Passport and Re Enter US. with your American one.

I think that is the way it is done. Hopefully any Americans will chip in.

Amercain name.

you board the plane in and go through immigration in the US with your US passport with your US name on the ticket

then upon arriving in Thailand show them your Thai passport at immigration.

then when you go back to america, you check in at the airline counter with your US passport so it matches your ticket, but go through thai immigration with you Thai passport.

then upon arriving in US, show your US passport again.

got it?

Amercain name.

you board the plane in and go through immigration in the US with your US passport with your US name on the ticket

then when you go back to america, you check in at the airline counter with your US passport so it matches your ticket, but go through thai immigration with you Thai passport.

got it?

Yes. That does make more sense. Disregard my post. I was 50% right. :o

Amercain name.

got it?

but the name on the ticket and my thai passport not going to match , is that going to be a problem?

If you check-in in Us with your US passport and intend to stay over 30 days you need to show a visa.

Check in with Thai passport, use US passport through immigrations in US.

Use Thai passport with Thai Immigrations.

but the name on the ticket and my thai passport not going to match , is that going to be a problem?

No. Just enter Thailand using your Thai passport, immigration does not even look at your ticket. The US is a different story. Homeland Security will check your ticket against your passport, and they better match!

No. Just enter Thailand using your Thai passport, immigration does not even look at your ticket. The US is a different story. Homeland Security will check your ticket against your passport, and they better match!

ah i see, thanks guys! :o

The airline can refuse to board if you check in on US passport without a return ticket within 30 days or a visa.

I would think buy the ticket with the name that is on your Thai Passport. Use that Passport to enter Thailand then you will not need a Visa. Exit Thailand with that Passport and Re Enter US. with your American one.

I think that is the way it is done. Hopefully any Americans will chip in.

Make sure that at the Thai immigration they will NOT put a tourist stamp into your American passport. Otherwise you might have to pay a penalty for overstay if you leave the country after a year.

Apparently Thai immigration seems to ask if you have dual citizenship if you don’t look 100% Thai (happened to my Thai wife when she was travelling with my children). They may demand to see both passports.

They may also want to put a tourist stamp into your American passport. Tell immigration that you have been advised by the Thai embassy in America to use your Thai passport only to enter Thailand and that you do not require a Tourist stamp in your American passport!

Keep calm when explaining and speaking to those officials. After some time they will eventually let you go.

Good luck.

wow, all sounds very complicated

somewhat related but different question - I understand americans dont bother you whether you have dual nationality (Im told germans the same, you can have 3 or more if you wish...)

but as a Thai, are you legally allowed to have dual citizenship?

I remember years ago when 'look kruengs' had to choose when they turned 21. is this still the case?

any one in the know, perhaps with links to the relevant laws?

somewhat related but different question - I understand americans dont bother you whether you have dual nationality (Im told germans the same, you can have 3 or more if you wish...)

I remember years ago when 'look kruengs' had to choose when they turned 21. is this still the case?

Many Thais have dual nationality. As far as I know it is not allowed but it is not disallowed if you know what I mean.

As with most things it is a bit complicated . Some info in this. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Dua...ual+nationality

Please don’t rely on my quote a 100% but I have been told by the Thai embassy in London that my children can have dual citizenship for the rest of their lives. So Thailand seems to be ok with it…

But better check with the embassy in your country as well, just to make sure.

The airline can refuse to board if you check in on US passport without a return ticket within 30 days or a visa.

The OP has a Thai passport for entering Thailand, no need for a visa in his US passport.

I'm amazed by the amount of answers you got. I understand you are flying USA-BKK-USA. So this is the correct way:

Use your US name to purchase the ticket. Show your US passport when leaving the US.

When arriving in Thailand, you have to show your Thai passport. If they ask for the ticket, show it, and present your US passport if they ask about the name descrepancy. You are legally carrying both passports, you have nothing to hide.

When leaving from Thailand, you will have to present your passport and boarding pass. The names won't match; show both passports to the airline check-in counter as well as to immigration. It's nothing new for them. The exit stamp by immigration will go into your Thai passport, because you entered the country as a Thai citizen.

When arriving in the US, only your US passport counts. This shows the same name as your ticket, so no questions will be asked.

Remark: In Thailand (that includes entering the country) you have to use your Thai passport. So don't use the US passport just because it appears to be more convenient, especially if you are staying less than 30 days. You are a thai citizen over here, and you indeed have to use the Thai passport.

Cheers,

Thomas.

I'm amazed by the amount of answers you got. I understand you are flying USA-BKK-USA. So this is the correct way:

Use your US name to purchase the ticket. Show your US passport when leaving the US.

When arriving in Thailand, you have to show your Thai passport. If they ask for the ticket, show it, and present your US passport if they ask about the name descrepancy. You are legally carrying both passports, you have nothing to hide.

When leaving from Thailand, you will have to present your passport and boarding pass. The names won't match; show both passports to the airline check-in counter as well as to immigration. It's nothing new for them. The exit stamp by immigration will go into your Thai passport, because you entered the country as a Thai citizen.

When arriving in the US, only your US passport counts. This shows the same name as your ticket, so no questions will be asked.

Remark: In Thailand (that includes entering the country) you have to use your Thai passport. So don't use the US passport just because it appears to be more convenient, especially if you are staying less than 30 days. You are a thai citizen over here, and you indeed have to use the Thai passport.

Cheers,

Thomas.

US citizen's entering the USA with a US passport do not need a plane ticket to enter.

Last question, if i'm planning to purchase a one-way ticket to thailand does it matter which name i use?

For example - let's say I purchase a one-way ticket to thailand under my thai name and use my thai passport to enter thailand (as a thai citizen)

and then on my way back to the states , I purchase a one-way ticket under my US name and use my US passport to get back here (as a US citizen)

Have anyone done this before? Please help :o

Last question, if i'm planning to purchase a one-way ticket to thailand does it matter which name i use?

For example - let's say I purchase a one-way ticket to thailand under my thai name and use my thai passport to enter thailand (as a thai citizen)

and then on my way back to the states , I purchase a one-way ticket under my US name and use my US passport to get back here (as a US citizen)

Have anyone done this before? Please help :o

See Post No. 3.

If you're concerned, carry copies of your name change certificate as well. Hopefully at one point on there, it'll contain your original Thai name... hence showing you are the same person and not some kind of Thai super spy.

:o

[...]

[...]

Cheers,

Thomas.

US citizen's entering the USA with a US passport do not need a plane ticket to enter.

Right.

That is wrong. He can enter Thailand with either passport. But if using US passport he will be required to obey visa laws. He can easily extend for one year on his US passport with proof of citizenship.

The laws of the US however requires (indirectly) those that are citizens to use a US passport for entry/exit.

Believe Thailand is now online to US computer database so I would advise only using one passport (US) if names are different, and pax are being matched to boarding lists - or be prepared to a long explanation at Thai Immigration. If the names were the same do not believe it would be a problem as Immigration is used to that.

Topic closed at OP's request