Maiden Name

hi guys

hope you can help

im coming to thailand in april and getting married to my thai g/f

she recently got her passport and certificate of health for tb of the doc in bkk

no problems there

both passport and tb certificate are in her present maiden name

the woman at the iom said she would need to come back and get a new certificate and her passport changed to her married name before she could apply for a settlement visa

is this true ?

what is the story for filling out this section on the application form for the visa

cheers johnny

hi guys

hope you can help

she recently got her passport and certificate of health for tb of the doc in bkk

no problems there

the woman at the iom said she would need to come back and get a new certificate and her passport changed to her married name before she could apply for a settlement visa

is this true ?

what is the story for filling out this section on the application form for the visa

cheers johnny

hi guys

hope you can help

no problems there

is this true ?

cheers johnny

Not true. In Thailand your g/f will have the choice of keeping her maiden name or changing to your surname after you are married. But the visa application must be in the same name as the passport,ID card, tb certificate,etc. So she can have everything in her maiden name if that's more convenient then when she gets to the UK she can still use her married name there if that's what you both prefer. And she'll have no problems arriving in the UK with everything in her maiden name.

hi

this is what im doing cos like ur self we had the tb cert and passport in her maiden name so we kept her maiden name when we married end of jan when we get visa which we are still waiting she will come to uk and when we go back for holiday we change her name at the ampur im not sure how to go about it but it should be straight forward as advised by lady in the ampur when we married. and change her passport in london cos we would have the papers etc from thailand with her change of name (this is just what im doing)

maybe someone as already done this and can advise more

I intend to go down the same route. Keep her maiden name for the Settlement Visa and change to her married name in the UK.

Over time it can be changed in Thailand too when there is enough time to do so and when it won't interfere with the visa application process.

There is no requirement under UK law for a wife to take her husband's name upon marriage. So having passport and visa in her maiden name will not be a problem. Simply make sure that the name on passport, TB certificate, visa application and plane tickets all match.

My wife's visa and subsequent ILR were both in her maiden name, and she did not get around to changing her name in her passport until she renewed it at the RTE in London 4 years after first arriving in the UK. Indeed at one stage she had her Thai passport in her maiden name and her British passport in her married name!

She did, however, change her name on her ID card immediately after we were married. She tells me this is a requirement of Thai law. Maybe someone can confirm.

There is no requirement under UK law for a wife to take her husband's name upon marriage. So having passport and visa in her maiden name will not be a problem. Simply make sure that the name on passport, TB certificate, visa application and plane tickets all match.

My wife's visa and subsequent ILR were both in her maiden name, and she did not get around to changing her name in her passport until she renewed it at the RTE in London 4 years after first arriving in the UK. Indeed at one stage she had her Thai passport in her maiden name and her British passport in her married name!

She did, however, change her name on her ID card immediately after we were married. She tells me this is a requirement of Thai law. Maybe someone can confirm.

Hi mate.

I think the change on her ID card is no longer a legal requirement. I believe it used to be however (approx 10 years ago). How long ago were you married?

It may also have been required if the ID card was due for renewal anyway. They only last 10 years as i understand it.

We married in September 2000.

You're probably right, I know that the 'rules' for 'Mia Farangs' have changed a lot over the last 10 to 15 years, owning land for example, and that a lot of Thais are unaware of this.

However, having her ID card in one name and her passport in another never caused her any problems.

The law was changed last year to give the wife the choice on which name she wants to use. She only needs to change her name on her ID card if she wants to use her husbands surname, however, I believe, whichever name she she wants to use she must change her status from ,Miss to 'Mrs' on her ID card to show that she is now married.

It so lot easier if she des not change her name. All the processes are fine with her maiden name (even easier) and Thai specific dealing (land, property...) in the future are much simpler if she does not change her name.

thanks guys for all your replys really big help to us

can stop sweating now :o