5G - Pocket Mobile router

does it need to be mobile? ie has batteries

I know 5g wired router (needs to plug in to wall socket) are available from the operator like AIS and True for a discount if you take the sim/contract 

haven't seen 5g 'pocket hotspot' from the operators yet, only 4g

Banana and Jib has 5g hotspot them in their online store, the random branch location probably won't have it in stock but might be able to order one in

https://www.bnn.in.th/th/p/d-link-network-dwr-u2000-5glte-mobile-router-790069427176_r61g7n?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ZHK1rKjhgMVFimDAx1M_gccEAQYAyABEgKDePD_BwE

45 minutes ago, digbeth said:

does it need to be mobile? ie has batteries

I know 5g wired router (needs to plug in to wall socket) are available from the operator like AIS and True for a discount if you take the sim/contract 

haven't seen 5g 'pocket hotspot' from the operators yet, only 4g

Banana and Jib has 5g hotspot them in their online store, the random branch location probably won't have it in stock but might be able to order one in

https://www.bnn.in.th/th/p/d-link-network-dwr-u2000-5glte-mobile-router-790069427176_r61g7n?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ZHK1rKjhgMVFimDAx1M_gccEAQYAyABEgKDePD_BwE

Does the plug in work on a SIM?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Lazada 

Yes- I know that, but I'd prefer to buy in a shop or AIS outlet if they do it . So really need someone who has first hand experience.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Yes, 

https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/store/phones/brovi/brovi-5g-home-wifi-hi55381?capacity=91&color=98&campaign=0000&compCode=1&plan=&extsrc=false 

This one was available from physical AIS store when I got it in Bangkok

it might depend on location

Curios?… What monthly plan do you have?… Do you need to buy a specific plan with this router or can you buy a separate AIS one year prepaid sim on say Lazada and use it in this router?… 

23 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

Curios?… What monthly plan do you have?… Do you need to buy a specific plan with this router or can you buy a separate AIS one year prepaid sim on say Lazada and use it in this router?… 

years ago It came with monthly plan of 'unlimited' data I think of around 7-8000 baht a month and discount on the cost of router

the price in the link is without contract I think, so you can use any yearly sim, it's not even locked to AIS, I did use True SIM in it as well 

but if you'll be using those sim it might be cheaper to go with 4g router

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Does it have a LAN output, or only 2.4/5 GHz WiFi please?

The AIS one has LAN/Wan ports

https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/store/phones/brovi/brovi-5g-home-wifi-hi55381?capacity=91&color=98&campaign=0000&compCode=1&plan=&extsrc=false

The Dlink MiFi one does not have lan/wan ports.

https://www.dlink.com.sg/Downloads/DWR-U2000/datasheet/DWR-U2000_ds_1.pdf

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, kwilco said:

Yes- I know that,

You should have mentioned that in your posting. 

I'm not a mind reader and the wife has my magical crystal ball this week. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

24 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Thanks for that. Although the Specs do not mention it, the photo shows it has two LAN ports.

I pay Bht 749 per month, for 1GB optic. So at THB 6000 it would pay for itself in less than a year, with an unlimited SIM card on top.

Would this thing perform as well for streaming TV/ Movies etc.

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Would this thing perform as well for streaming TV/ Movies etc.

Your main speed limitations will be from the unlimited sim you buy ( look closely at the mbps and also check the fine print as to what “unlimited” means many say unlimited but cut speeds down after a certain MB of use… Also the speed could be limited by your location and network traffic…

Why not find a 5G phone to use as a hotspot?

I’m in Bangkok right now using an IPhone 15 pro as a hotspot for my IPad Pro.  I turned off the VPN on the IPad, but it was still in use on the phone, I believe. 

I have a mobile plan that includes 100 gb of data per month.  I think it may be throttled after a certain point, but you can always buy more fast data if you need it.  Anyway, I ran a speed test: 

IMG_1011.jpeg

THanks for all the replies

i don't want to use the phone a nub can take several users and leaves my phone free for normal use.

It's for use in a house tht doesn't have fibre - but 5G can actually be faster than a lot of the standard broadband/

So I want ot be able to go not a real shop, sit dw and talk about the deice and packages with the salesperson.

I think the links provided above should do it.

6 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

Your main speed limitations will be from the unlimited sim you buy ( look closely at the mbps and also check the fine print as to what “unlimited” means many say unlimited but cut speeds down after a certain MB of use… Also the speed could be limited by your location and network traffic…

I upgraded my phone SIM to %5G keeping my old number and the download speeds went off the scale.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, kwilco said:

It's for use in a house tht doesn't have fibre . . . .

Any particular reason you specify a "pocket" router if it's for a fixed location, and not a full spec one?

Edited by treetops

23 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I travel extensively in Thailand and Laos.

OK.  I have fixed ones as "home" requires comms for security cameras and other IOT gadgets.