International Driver License Scam

Guest Bellini
Where does the advert appear ? Is it one directly inserted by TV or is it an Ad's by Google ?

But I agree the 'licence' is worthless.

An "International Driving Permit" is a different thing, and the one that has legal status.

I am not quite as sure as you are that the "International Driver Document (IDD)" offered by the web site in question is worthless. My doubts are based on my personal experience of needing my home country's driving permit accompanied by an English translation in order to be able to rent a car in the USA.

The home page of the web site in question states that the IDD they offer is "a legal translation of a current valid driver's license, based on the UN standards of Road Traffic". Elsewhere on the site, reference is made to the "Vienna Convention on Road Traffic" of 1968.

Question: Is Thailand a contracting party of this convention?

Answer: Yes

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

Question: What does this convention say about the use of a translation of one's driving permit?

Answer:

Driving Permit

2. Contracting Parties shall recognize:

(a) Any domestic permit drawn up in their national language or in one of their national languages, or, if not drwn up in such a language, accompanied by a certified translation.

Source: Convention on Road Traffic, Article 41; www.international-license.com/un.pdf

Question: Is the translation offered by the web site in question a "certified translation" in accordance with the Convention on Road Traffic?

Answer: I do not know. The web site in question says that it is. Is there any documented evidence to the contrary?

Guest Bellini

If I understand you correctly the automobile association in Italy of which I am a member conned me when they told me that I needed an English translation of my local driving licence to drive in the USA and sold me that translation for good money, and the US rental agency acted illegally when they accepted this translation, together with my local licence, to rent me a car.

I would like to bring this scam to the attention of the Italian authorities and would be grateful if you kindly supplied me links to evidence that this is a con.

The international driving permit, valid for one year, is also available from my automobile association but I was told in no uncertain terms that this would not be valid in the USA and that I needed an English translation of my local permit for that country.

Belinni on page 3 of my 1 year International Driving Permit it lists Itialie in the list of contracting states of the 1949 convention but not USA.

However http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Visitors_Driving.shtml states:

Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S.

Quick facts for foreign visitors about driving in the United States

1. An International Driving Permit (IDP) serves as an official translation of the holder's driver's license into 10 foreign languages. The purpose of an IDP is to supplement, not replace, valid government issued licenses. It serves as a translation of a drivers license and assists with understanding, but does not provide driving priveleges by itself. We recommend, especially if your foreign license is not in English, that you contact the automobile association or driving authorities in your home country to get an international driving permit before traveling, as the United States does NOT issue international driver's permits to foreign visitors.

<snip>

Thanya once you get your international you can go and get a Thai driving license for 1 year then when that expires get a 5 year.

Is it that easy?

Almost.. eye and reaction test.. long stay visa.. etc..

some places make you do the 20 questions classroom test.. some dont.. With the IDP I think your supposed to get away without doing it but my DMV said I had to.. Was easy, 20 multiple choice questions, you could get maybe 4 wrong, and if wrong you guessed again with the same paper so with multiple choice how could you fail that !!

If I understand you correctly the automobile association in Italy of which I am a member conned me when they told me that I needed an English translation of my local driving licence to drive in the USA and sold me that translation for good money, and the US rental agency acted illegally when they accepted this translation, together with my local licence, to rent me a car.

I would like to bring this scam to the attention of the Italian authorities and would be grateful if you kindly supplied me links to evidence that this is a con.

The international driving permit, valid for one year, is also available from my automobile association but I was told in no uncertain terms that this would not be valid in the USA and that I needed an English translation of my local permit for that country.

Well they informed you wrong..

An IDP is most definitely accepted in the USA..

The IDL works around a grey area, in that some countries signed onto a convention where translations were to be accepted, so there are 100's of people advertizing 'legit IDL issueing authority' and all they are doing is translating for you.. Its as legal as a translated piece of paper. But it looks official..

Just type IDL scam into google.. you will get enough links and info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bellini
Belinni on page 3 of my 1 year International Driving Permit it lists Itialie in the list of contracting states of the 1949 convention but not USA...

So this explains why the USA does not accept the International Driving Permit and wants the local permit with an English translation.

Guest Bellini
...The IDL works around a grey area, in that some countries signed onto a convention where translations were to be accepted...

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I was not talking about IDL, but about the requirement in USA to use my local driving permit plus an English translation of it.

...The IDL works around a grey area, in that some countries signed onto a convention where translations were to be accepted...

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I was not talking about IDL, but about the requirement in USA to use my local driving permit plus an English translation of it.

Belinni on page 3 of my 1 year International Driving Permit it lists Itialie in the list of contracting states of the 1949 convention but not USA.

However http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Visitors_Driving.shtml states:

Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S.

Quick facts for foreign visitors about driving in the United States

1. An International Driving Permit (IDP) serves as an official translation of the holder's driver's license into 10 foreign languages. The purpose of an IDP is to supplement, not replace, valid government issued licenses. It serves as a translation of a drivers license and assists with understanding, but does not provide driving priveleges by itself. We recommend, especially if your foreign license is not in English, that you contact the automobile association or driving authorities in your home country to get an international driving permit before traveling, as the United States does NOT issue international driver's permits to foreign visitors.

<snip>

The IDP serves that purpose.. I have used one in the states, to rent, to purchase insurance on my own vehicle, to make registrations with the DMV, etc..

• 7 months later...

From another thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Motorbike-Licence-t304023.html

International Drivers Permit

An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows an individual to drive a private motor vehicle in another nation when accompanied by a valid license from their home country.

The document is slightly larger than a standard passport and is essentially a multiple language translation of one's own existing driver's license, complete with photograph and vital statistics. It is not a license to operate a motor vehicle on its own.

idp_01.jpg