For The Bicycle Riders Out There

maikee

I've got a couple of routes I do with my bike, and inevitabley I'll get a dog or a couple of dogs chasing me... No problem as I can outrun them after a couple of swerves to get up to full speed. I've got clipless pedals which makes it a little difficult to easily pop my foot out to ward away any of the ones that get too close with their teeth.

Problem is when you get a gang of dogs that are spread out over a couple of houses. The first set of dogs get in on the action early and warn the second group. Makes for a dangerous situation...Not to mention, I'm not too keen on getting bit.

Talked to the wife and her mother and asked them what they thought about me bringing some pepper spray with me. I'm sure it would work.. but don't want to piss the people off where the dogs live (for the next time I come around). They said they wouldn't be mad as the dogs aren't chained or secured at the house.

Anyone have experience with this? If so, I'd like to know how you have dealt with the situation. I'm going to potentially have the problem wherever I ride and putting away my bike is not an option..

You must be new in the "hood" or your bike is new.

What I did was just outrun them and after a few times they got fedup to chase and just ignore me.

And another advice, do not have any sense of fear when facing them as dogs can smell fear.

Also you could pay a visit to the dog owners telling them that if they don't chain the dogs don't blame you if the dog get any injuries from your defensive action in the future. As for stray dogs, well normally don't chase people unless they got rabbies. :o

Good luck

Explorer :D

Fine ground pepper tossed behind you will stop them. It messes big time with their sense of smell and irritates them, but doesn't hurt them like the pepper spray. Do this a couple times and they with bugger off when they see you coming. :o

cv

Explorer, ya, fairly new to the hood. The one particular set of houses I go past is almost a gauntlet though. Seems it is the movement (wheels turning and pedaling) that gets all the Alpha type dogs riled up (I pass quite a few dogs on the circuit). I know what you are saying about portraying fear... and I never do. I've almost been tempted to stop my bike and have a stare down. I'm a dog lover and am at ease around them and they sense that. Never had a problem while on foot.

cdnvic, I'll try the ground pepper. I'm not looking to hurt them.

Edited by maikee

First of all I raise my hand as if I want to hit or throw something and at the same time I shout to the dog(s). The dog usually stops then, or it gets them to keep a distance. Works also with big dogs.

I do not try to outrun them, as that just wakes up their hunting instinct. They are bored, no reason why they would not enjoy to run again and again, next time you come.

Often, but only if I'm not in his direct home area, meaning the street directly in front of his house but 3 m away already, then I stop immediately, do the shouting and arm raising, turn around and go after the dog. They usually pull back until they feel safe. Then I go, but start slowly, and if the dog comes again, I turn again. If there are stones lying around I might take one and throw.

However do NOT follow them into their home area, meaning leaving the street and entering their garden or the place around the house where they live. Every dog feels strong there and the urge to defend that area. It is quite natural though to push it back to that area.

Usually when I pass at such a place where I turned once to go after a dog it will not chase me again.

If you feel insecure you might get something like a stick or similar with you, you will not need it but it feels good and the dog will definitely not like to see it. It should help to wave with it when you do the shouting. I never used or felt I needed it though.

Oh yes, my voice is normal :o I can not shout especially loud. It is just enough if you show them you are not their prey, but above them in the hierarchy.

Have fun!

I've got a couple of routes I do with my bike, and inevitabley I'll get a dog or a couple of dogs chasing me... No problem as I can outrun them after a couple of swerves to get up to full speed. I've got clipless pedals which makes it a little difficult to easily pop my foot out to ward away any of the ones that get too close with their teeth.

Problem is when you get a gang of dogs that are spread out over a couple of houses. The first set of dogs get in on the action early and warn the second group. Makes for a dangerous situation...Not to mention, I'm not too keen on getting bit.

Talked to the wife and her mother and asked them what they thought about me bringing some pepper spray with me. I'm sure it would work.. but don't want to piss the people off where the dogs live (for the next time I come around). They said they wouldn't be mad as the dogs aren't chained or secured at the house.

Anyone have experience with this? If so, I'd like to know how you have dealt with the situation. I'm going to potentially have the problem wherever I ride and putting away my bike is not an option..

Walk your bike through the area...all the while tossing tasty bits of dog food. Next time they will smile as you pass by.

Buy one of them high powered air pistols along with a holster, when they come for you, quick draw and shoot them between the eyes, they will not come back for more. If there are any animal lovers out there you could shoot them on the backside.

Edited by Pablo H

The problem will be as earlier mentioned the neighbours will deny ownership. Run one over with a car and they will demand compenstion for the beloved family pet. If one nips you no one will hold up their hand when you ask who farted. Pepper spray will work fine and cure the pack. Smarts for awhile but nothing long term. Keep the rubber down.

Walk your bike through the area...all the while tossing tasty bits of dog food. Next time they will smile as you pass by.

Next time they will rush over to the tasty treat guy... this will only bring more dogs.

cv