What Do You Think Could Be Done To Improve Safety In Driving?

I have been thinking of buying a car but have hesitated for some time now due to stories here as well as in the news about not only the high accident rate but the special pitfalls that await the expat driver.

So, what do you think could be done to improve safety on the roads in Thailand not just for Thais but for the expat driver as well?

It's no worse than central london exect replace mad mopeds for bmw's just get a driver for 10k a month wear the seat belt sit in the back and have a beer

I have been thinking of buying a car but have hesitated for some time now due to stories here as well as in the news about not only the high accident rate but the special pitfalls that await the expat driver.

So, what do you think could be done to improve safety on the roads in Thailand not just for Thais but for the expat driver as well?

A critical education process including the concept of consequence.

TV commercials could also help re-enforce this idea.

This doesn’t just apply to driving or just to Thailand.

farangs always get the blame in an accident with a Thai. so take out a comprehensive car insurance policy with a large reputable insurance company which will have reps. everywhere. if you are involved in an accident they come to the scene in a few minutes and sort out the matter.

I have no experience of being blamed of anything in Thailand just because I am not Thai.

I have never felt that I have been treated anything other than equally while driving in Thailand, be it when dealing with the usually simple aftermath of a traffic accident or dealing with Police at 'tea money hotspots'. With the latter, I have learnt where they are and have learnt the specific idiosyncrasies of these specific junctions and locations. In the last few years I have only ever been pulled over when I have unwittingly done something wrong and each time the Police were fair and polite to deal with.

I definitely agree with the above mentioned however... Comprehensive insurance with a large reputable insurance company with reps is a must.

Functional police force.

If there are no one to enforce, then what's the point.

I'm not talking about our wonderful guys waiting on the OTHER side of the bridge catching the motorcycles, they should be at the entry side to prevent motorcycles going over, not after... collecting the "fines".

People think that once they have a motorcycle or a car or behind the wheel of a bus, that they have the RIGHT to drive.... they think having a drivers license is a RIGHT to drive.... and that they can do anything they want on the road.

Simple fact, driving is a privilege earned when getting a driver's license legally. The traffic signs and lights are there not as suggestions, but rules that everyone must follow.

.... if there are no one to enforce... then what's the point.

What can be done to improve safety on the road?

- Don't let any car go on the road until it is paid in full.

- Introduce a driving test worth its name

- Have more Police present on the road and have police enforce the rules

- no more that 2 people on a motorbike

- less U-turns, U-turn bridges instead.

- Eliminate street vendors from sidewalks so that pedestrians can actually walk on the sidewalks

- Enforce the rule on motorways that slow traffic merges left, even Mercedes-Benz

I would have many more ideas, but all that is all only wishful thinking. Many more people will have to die before anything is done. Nobody is responsible and "mai pen rai" attitude prevails.

- Eliminate street vendors from sidewalks so that pedestrians can actually walk on the sidewalks

There are sidewalks in Thailand?

I've seen the roadside obstical courses - not the same surely?

A Road - Traffic awareness campaign over years on the TV could help, improved traffic law enforcement, road safety and worthiness ... and yes, after all it's not all that bad here - it's a lot like 99% of problems occurring while using a laptop, notebook or pc, the "problem" is usually located between chair and keyboard!

There is one picture as part of a safety compaign that would save hundreds or thousands of lives or injuries each year.

A simple picture of the revered head of state 'encouraging' the nation's youth to wear a helmet when on a motorbike.

Include it as part of the homage at the begining of movies.

An ad company (wanting the merit and status) would do the filming for free and a tie in with a helmet maker in Thailand would provide fashion aware products for the current crash victims for similar reasons. Yellow would also aid visability on the roads during the twilight rush.

Back to the land of dreams.....

Edited by Cuban

Forget it, it won't happen, sad but true....its like trying to pisssss into the wind. I havent seen any improvement in road safety in Thailand, just the opposite, as more people cram onto the roadways it just keeps getting wilder out there.

All the previous ideas are great ones, it just wont happen - PERIOD!