Do I Need A Prescription To Buy Contacts + Where To Buy Contacts In Bkk

mp413

I am staying at Navalai Hotel on the river, which I understand is in the Kho San Rd area (sorry I am new as in landed a couple of hours ago). I have about 4 days' briefing here before moving up north, and need to get some contacts.

1) do I need to show a prescription to buy contacts? I know the contacts I need, can probably get doc to fax scrip but would be annoying.

2) is there a good optician who sells U.S. brand contacts somewhere in this neighborhood (I will be working on Rachdamnoern Nok so that area would be good too)?

thanks!!

mp413

I am staying at Navalai Hotel on the river, which I understand is in the Kho San Rd area (sorry I am new as in landed a couple of hours ago). I have about 4 days' briefing here before moving up north, and need to get some contacts.

1) do I need to show a prescription to buy contacts? I know the contacts I need, can probably get doc to fax scrip but would be annoying.

2) is there a good optician who sells U.S. brand contacts somewhere in this neighborhood (I will be working on Rachdamnoern Nok so that area would be good too)?

thanks!!

mp413

Many optical shops will test your vision and sell you contact lenses on the spot. Different shops carry a different range of brands. (Sorry, not familiar with optical shops in your area.)

Before I had Lasik, I purchased my last set of contacts in MBK Shopping Plaza (ground floor) approx 4 years ago--the vision exam was free. The Doc gave me a quick vision exam, went in the back room and emerged with my lenses. They didn't carry the 'CSI Clarity' brand so I went with 'Dura Soft' (as I recall). I was out the door in under 20 minutes.

Others can chime in with their experiences, but a 'Top Charoen' outlet (next to BTS Asoke) tried to overcharge me on eyeglass lenses. He wanted 500 baht (eyeglass lenses only) when I knew I could get the same quality elsewhere--I did, for 200 baht. Naturally, I declined to purchase contacts at one of their shops.

FWIW, I had Lasik done at TRSC International Lasik Center on Rama IV. One of life's best decisions.

Out for the day ... Good luck (!)

If you know your prescription you can just take in the numbers and buy your contacts on the spot. If not, most places will test you for free. The only problem is they never seem to have the right diameters for farangs (thai eyes are apparently a different size). I always buy my contacts from the place on the ground floor of MBK because they always have the diameter i need. i think it is called Yours Optical.

Hi,

Thanks for the info Neocon. If you don't mind me asking how much was the Lasik surgery? I'm moving to Thailand later in the year but currently am in London. I went for a Lasik consultation here and was quoted £2550 (~127,000bht). This was for the full works - wavefront & intralase. Just wondering whether it'd be an idea to hold off till I got to bkk.

Many thanks,

Mark

If you know your prescription you can just take in the numbers and buy your contacts on the spot. If not, most places will test you for free. The only problem is they never seem to have the right diameters for farangs (thai eyes are apparently a different size). I always buy my contacts from the place on the ground floor of MBK because they always have the diameter i need. i think it is called Yours Optical.

Google "MBK Center". See their floor plan.

I went twice to "Optical 88" (1B-11). I was extremely nearsighted with a significant astigmatism. They and their lenses did me right. All irrelevant for me now. :-)

"Your Optical" (1B-32). I never tried them but it's always good to have more than one seemingly reliable source.

Hi,

Thanks for the info Neocon. If you don't mind me asking how much was the Lasik surgery? I'm moving to Thailand later in the year but currently am in London. I went for a Lasik consultation here and was quoted £2550 (~127,000bht). This was for the full works - wavefront & intralase. Just wondering whether it'd be an idea to hold off till I got to bkk.

Many thanks,

Mark

In Nov 05, I paid B79,500 total for TRSC's Ultimate Lasik and had both eyes done at the same time by Dr Sukanda. It's been a treat since. No more monkeying with prescription lenses (until it becomes time for age-related reading glasses)! :o