Maxxis Tyres

basjke

I will need new tyres for my truck soon so I have been looking around already to find the best deal.

Currently I have bridgstones fitted which I think is a good tyre.When I asked around I have been offered Maxxis tyres at a price 20% lower then Bridgestone.

I know I gonna get the usual replies,from don't save on your safety and more of that,but because a tyre is cheaper it doesn't mean actually it is less good.Everybody knows that a big part of the price of a tyre reflects the advertising cost and brandname and eventually here in thailand the import duty's.

Maxxis is a thai brand that makes almost no advertising so it makes sense that they can sell cheaper then some other brands,however it is no guarantee for the quality.

So I would like to ask if anyone on this forum uses them or has some first hand information and what are the experiences regarding quality and durability.

Tires get noisy after using them a year or slightly more.

Not suitable for high temperature roads during the hot season. Some cracking inside grooves.

More suitable for off road driving.

Edited by trogers

I have had them fitted to my Nissan Navara for over 6 months now, 245/70's. Robust tyre and I like the raised writing on the walls. Not too much road noise. Came with 1 year guarantee too, plus I got some cash back for the old tyres from my local chap.

Don't forget to ask about the pressures.

Maxxis are being advertised in the UK now, I have seen it on the advertising boards around the pitches when watching the weekend footy!!

Edited by phutoie2

QUOTE: from http://www.maxxis.com/About-Maxxis.aspx

With distribution in approximately 150 countries, operations in Asia, Europe and North America, and more than 20,000 employees around the world, Maxxis is one of the largest and most respected tire companies in the world.

END quote

Hardly a small little Thai company

see also.

http://www.maxxis.com/

I think the one they offered me were the HT-bravo 750 or 760 series,anyone else some positive or negative experience with these tyres.

Trogers did you have the hard terrain or all terrain version fitted?

I think the one they offered me were the HT-bravo 750 or 760 series,anyone else some positive or negative experience with these tyres.

Trogers did you have the hard terrain or all terrain version fitted?

I am using their MS300 for hard terrain (mainly city and expressway driving). Performance is good, expecially during hard cornering, but I suspect their rubber technology is more suitable for cooler road surface.

I've been using Maxxis "buckshot mudder" MT (30 X 9.5) for a couple of months and am so far very satisfied. They do well off-road and are comfortable on-road as well.

I'm told that although Maxxis is a Taiwan company the tyres for the Thai market are made in a factory near Ranong (hence the reasonable price?).

I will need new tyres for my truck soon so I have been looking around already to find the best deal.

Currently I have bridgstones fitted which I think is a good tyre.When I asked around I have been offered Maxxis tyres at a price 20% lower then Bridgestone.

I know I gonna get the usual replies,from don't save on your safety and more of that,but because a tyre is cheaper it doesn't mean actually it is less good.Everybody knows that a big part of the price of a tyre reflects the advertising cost and brandname and eventually here in thailand the import duty's.

Maxxis is a thai brand that makes almost no advertising so it makes sense that they can sell cheaper then some other brands,however it is no guarantee for the quality.

So I would like to ask if anyone on this forum uses them or has some first hand information and what are the experiences regarding quality and durability.

I had a set on a 4X4 and they wear like iron. That's because the rubber was hard and they were VERY slippery on wet pavement. I don't remember the model name. If I were you, I'd check the code numbers to see how hard the rubber compound is.

I had a set on a 4X4 and they wear like iron. That's because the rubber was hard and they were VERY slippery on wet pavement. I don't remember the model name. If I were you, I'd check the code numbers to see how hard the rubber compound is.

Any idea what favorable code numbers would read like.

Thats a double edged one. Low treadwear numbers means high grip, high wear. On the sidewall you'll find various indicators, temperature, traction and treadwear.

A standard tire will have a treadwear of 300, don't ask me what it means but its based on wear testing and is roughly equivalent to 50k km.

Ultra High performance tires have teradwears of 180 and semi slick racing tires of around 100.

The relevancy for regular tires and regular use is minimal, since it doesnt really matter if you have a 280 or 350 treadwear. If you're talking SUV, or $x$ pick up I think its more important to pick the right kind of patter for your use.

H/T or Highway/Terrain for 95% road and hard surface use and incidentally of the road

A/T or All terrain, for 70% hard surface and a bit more rough (and better looks of course)

M/T or Mud terrain for the real work in the mud, wet, sand and maybe 10% road use (but fantastic looks)

Maxxis is owned by Cheng Shin corporation, one of the bigger Chinese manufacturers and since 2 years operating a factory in Thailand. It's a second tier brand as far as name awareness goes but they do make good tires.

My 2c

This link should give you some idea;

http://www.sizes.com/home/automobile_tires.htm

The simple rating is AA for the best traction down to C for the worst. Tread wear is a lower number with better traction tires.

This link should give you some idea;

http://www.sizes.com/home/automobile_tires.htm

The simple rating is AA for the best traction down to C for the worst. Tread wear is a lower number with better traction tires.

Thank you for that Gary,very good info but I guess I will have to print it out and take with me when I go look for tyres.

I've been using Maxxis "buckshot mudder" MT (30 X 9.5) for a couple of months and am so far very satisfied. They do well off-road and are comfortable on-road as well.

I'm told that although Maxxis is a Taiwan company the tyres for the Thai market are made in a factory near Ranong (hence the reasonable price?).

I run my Vigo 4x4 on these, they have been on for just under two years, they look to be about half life (40,000 Km driven on them), for an off road tyre they give fantastic grip on the road (but as Gary A has said, on wet roads you need to use caution, I just select 4 wheel drive in these conditions, and have no problems)

These tyres of course come into their own off road, I spend more time off road (due to my work), and have never had an issue with getting stuck, which at times has been surprising with some of the extreme surfaces I have driven on.

As for noise.... well yes, they are some what loud, but my Vigo is a work horse, and needs to handle real off road/jungle conditions, so I can put up with road noise, besides, I normally just put the stereo on :o