Drunken Mishaps

cognos

December 24 2007..I was staying at my then fiancee's sisters in Phuket,as we did not sleep together before marriage..came home early,about 9 30 pm after having 7 or 8 beers,not too drunk I thought,but I guess I was.I clipped the corner post of the carport with the car and almost knocked the roof down..got out,swore softly as I realized I'd barely hit it,hid the small pieces of concrete under some nearby bushes,went to bed and forgot about it..7 am next morning the fiancee rings.."you mao last night,hit car"..now jolted rudely awake I replied somewhat lamely,"not mao,just accident,sorry,I will fix it right away"..being a carpenter before I saw it was easily fixable,but the tools I borrowed were terrible,cutting dense mahogany with the very dull chipped chisel and rusty dull saw to make braces etc.and pour some concrete with forms somehow fashioned from quarter inch plywood,desperate to fix it quickly.Within 90 minutes the family examined the repairs and said it was better than before. The future wife said "my bpen rai ka".I got the minor damage fixed on the sister's car I had borrowed plus all the previous damage to save face for the sister(total cost,5000 baht,as the brother in law knew the guy at the body shop).I happily realized back home in Canada I would never have gotten off the hook like that so easily from future in laws and wife,in contrast one would have been probably lambasted severely in most cases..different cultures..my bpen rai.

December 24 2007..I was staying at my then fiancee's sisters in Phuket,as we did not sleep together before marriage..came home early,about 9 30 pm after having 7 or 8 beers,not too drunk I thought,but I guess I was.I clipped the corner post of the carport with the car and almost knocked the roof down..got out,swore softly as I realized I'd barely hit it,hid the small pieces of concrete under some nearby bushes,went to bed and forgot about it..7 am next morning the fiancee rings.."you mao last night,hit car"..now jolted rudely awake I replied somewhat lamely,"not mao,just accident,sorry,I will fix it right away"..being a carpenter before I saw it was easily fixable,but the tools I borrowed were terrible,cutting dense mahogany with the very dull chipped chisel and rusty dull saw to make braces etc.and pour some concrete with forms somehow fashioned from quarter inch plywood,desperate to fix it quickly.Within 90 minutes the family examined the repairs and said it was better than before. The future wife said "my bpen rai ka".I got the minor damage fixed on the sister's car I had borrowed plus all the previous damage to save face for the sister(total cost,5000 baht,as the brother in law knew the guy at the body shop).I happily realized back home in Canada I would never have gotten off the hook like that so easily from future in laws and wife,in contrast one would have been probably lambasted severely in most cases..different cultures..my bpen rai.

...you had 7 to 8 beers and considered yourself "not too drunk", especially with regards to driving? Mai pen rai the next time you do it and its not a post but a person?

Sorry to sound harsh, but please do not think "mai pen rai" next time when it comes to drink-driving. :o

(I also know many Thais who think the same.)