2009 Formula One Season

Hi

The BBC coverage of todays practice sessions was oddly silent about the Renault issue, by that I mean it was mentioned but not dissected in all its minute detail as is the norm. Must have been instructed by the powers that be to keep it low key.

Mind you Davidson gave us some useful insight into, Ah Hum .. Helmet Suck!! The explanation being about Luzzi who's head was rattling around on the ultra fast Monza straights! He seemed to be sitting fairly high in the cockpit and this allows air to enter under the helmet and lifts it, consequently trying to strangle the driver with the strap in the process. :D So now we know.

On the subject of helmets I think Fisi was modeling a new larger version to accommodate his new fixed grin! Although it was not so apparent after second practice when Sutil was fastest and he was last on the grid. Having said that the entire pack was covered by 1.6 seconds with Fisi less than 0.80 of a sec behind Kimi who could only manage 8th.

I know it is only practice but the form book has been turned on it's head the main 4 championship contenders could not better 14th place. Tomorrow will tell!

TBWG :)

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Renault launch criminal proceedings against Piquets

I think they had to do this. Had they not taken action against them, it would have seemed like an admission of guilt.

But does anyone really think that the Piquets are lying? It's not as if what they are saying covers themselves in glory - quite the opposite really. Surely if they were after revenge on Flav and wanted to concoct a lie, they could have dreamt up something that didn't make themselves look bad and foolish in the process?

Flav's lawyers must be working night and day right now, praying that the Piquets have nothing more than circumstancial evidence. I think that's what they are depending on.

Fisi was 2 places ahead of Kimi in 1st practice.... Piquet Jr replacement Grosjean was 2nd, ahead of Alonso .. Practice is just that.. No one have any idea except the teams of the fuel loads.... Sure I always watch all 3 practice sessions but until after qualifying and the posting of the fuel load there is no true picture.

Fisi said he had a lot of fuel on board in 2nd practice and was trying to get confidence in the Kers and the brakes

McLaren are looking good - Hekki qualifed 4th! But it will be interesting to see how heavily the Brawn cars are fuelled.

Great to see Force India doing so well.

Its also nice to see that Kimi has finally got his act together since Schumi threatened to come back!

Edited by F1fanatic

McLaren are looking good - Hekki qualifed 4th! But it will be interesting to see how heavily the Brawn cars are fuelled.

Hamilton is fuled the lightest on the grid....

Weights

01. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 653.5

02. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 655.0

03. Raikkonen Ferrari 662.0

04. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 683.0

05. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 688.5

06. Button Brawn-Mercedes 687.0

07. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 679.5

08. Alonso Renault 677.5

09. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 682.0

10. Webber Red Bull-Renault 683.0

11. Trulli Toyota 703.0

12. Grosjean Renault 699.8

13. Kubica BMW-Sauber 697.5

14. Fisichella Ferrari 690.0

15. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 697.5

16. Glock Toyota 709.8

17. Nakajima Williams-Toyota 706.2

18. Rosberg Williams-Toyota 708.6

19. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 706.0

20. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 706.0

Interesting fuel loads, looks like we have good race tomorrow !

fanatic, nice to see ferrari finally got their act together in quali. Finally the car was up to a par with one lap speed :D

Interesting info from BBC site~~~

BBC Sport's full fuel-adjusted top 10, with predicted first pit stops, is as follows:

1 Kovalainen (lap 28)

2 Rubens Barrichello +0.016secs (lap 30)

3 Lewis Hamilton +0.047secs (lap 16)

4 Jenson Button +0.073 (lap 29)

5 Adrian Sutil +0.200 (lap 17)

6 Kimi Raikkonen +0.266 (lap 19)

7 Vitantonio Liuzzi +0.296 (lap 27)

8 Sebastian Vettel +0.363 (lap 27)

9 Fernando Alonso +0.381 (lap 26)

10 Mark Webber +0.469 (lap 28)

The first thing that strikes one about that list is just how close it is between the major contenders. Only 0.073 seconds separates the top four drivers on fuel-adjusted times. And that makes predicting a likely winner very difficult indeed.

On paper, a two-stop strategy (Hamilton, Sutil and Raikkonen) is marginally faster - but in practice stopping only once is often the best way to run a race at Monza.

They also tip Jenson to win because of Kovi's inability to do the business and Rubens suspect gearbox! :D

Great stuff Rubens.

Stick it to 'em, for all the oldies and winging old gits like me.

Just keep that big smile going, keep the red mist battened down and you will extract the Championship right out from your teammate.

As an amatuer lip reader and qualified pussy whisperer, it was wonderful to see JB give you a big hug and say through a fixed smile and gritted teeth; 'Good job mate, well done.'

Well that Brawn 1-2 has realistically tied up both championships for Brawn. Mathematically it is still possible but Ross Brawn does not make many bad calls.. so it's in the bag!

Regarding Force India V J Mallaya must be feeling rather smug. Apparently no money changed hands in the Fisi deal .. but this is F1 not a charitable institution, I suspect the outstanding slate for his Ferrari engines has now been wiped clean. Plus using Liuzzi who was already on the payroll has turned out to be one of the finds of the season.

Quite a result both cars through to qualy 3 and a 4th place after a second at Spa, who would have believed it at the beginning of the season!

Now we have to see how the Flav squirms out of his current predicament! :)

TBWG :D

Indeed we do.

On that subject, i'm somewhat troubled to hear and read the tone of some of the latest comments from F1 pundits and ex-drivers.

The tone is that Piquet has not only betrayed his former team but he has betrayed the whole paddock and the sport by blowing the whistle.

I agree that Piquet should be condemned and punished for having gone along with the plan (if it is indeed true), and i agree that he should be condemned and punsihed for leaving it until he was sacked to speak out about it, but i don't think he should be condemned and punished for not having kept it a secret, or for supposedly betraying the sport. He hasn't betrayed the sport. He's just done what he should have done a long time ago.

Indeed we do.

On that subject, i'm somewhat troubled to hear and read the tone of some of the latest comments from F1 pundits and ex-drivers.

The tone is that Piquet has not only betrayed his former team but he has betrayed the whole paddock and the sport by blowing the whistle.

I agree that Piquet should be condemned and punished for having gone along with the plan (if it is indeed true), and i agree that he should be condemned and punsihed for leaving it until he was sacked to speak out about it, but i don't think he should be condemned and punished for not having kept it a secret, or for supposedly betraying the sport. He hasn't betrayed the sport. He's just done what he should have done a long time ago.

I agree 100% he should have done it at the beginning, yes I know he's fairly new to F1 but his father is an old hand at the game and perhaps should have guided him better.

The implication is that all sorts of dodgy things have been or are still going on and the only reason it would appear that no one previously has spilt the beans has surely got to be down to financial security or rewards, I find the worrying part is that if true would seem that an awful lot of people basically endorse this behaviour as normal, surely when Massa went and accused Renault of staging the accident directly after the race, my question to him would be, what made you think that anyone would connive to fix the outcome of the race, it wouldn't enter my head. :D .

I agree 100% he should have done it at the beginning, yes I know he's fairly new to F1 but his father is an old hand at the game and perhaps should have guided him better.

The implication is that all sorts of dodgy things have been or are still going on and the only reason it would appear that no one previously has spilt the beans has surely got to be down to financial security or rewards, I find the worrying part is that if true would seem that an awful lot of people basically endorse this behaviour as normal, surely when Massa went and accused Renault of staging the accident directly after the race, my question to him would be, what made you think that anyone would connive to fix the outcome of the race, it wouldn't enter my head. :) .

Agree with that.

I have to say though i do have some sympathy with Piquet.

It was interesting that Alex Yoong when asked had to concede that had he been in Piquet's position at the time, he too may well have gone along with the alleged plan, but then later agreed that Piquet was as much to blame as Flav.

I think the truth is that a large majority of young and up-coming drivers who are struggling to keep their seat would have made the same decision, to accept the team's instruction. If someone holds your job, your livelihood, over your head and threatens you with it being ended, that is an awfully tight spot to be put in. On the other hand, Flav had noone pushing him into a corner or threatening him as far as we are aware. That for me makes a world of difference in terms of who we hold culpable.

The implication is that all sorts of dodgy things have been or are still going on and the only reason it would appear that no one previously has spilt the beans has surely got to be down to financial security or rewards, I find the worrying part is that if true would seem that an awful lot of people basically endorse this behaviour as normal, surely when Massa went and accused Renault of staging the accident directly after the race, my question to him would be, what made you think that anyone would connive to fix the outcome of the race, it wouldn't enter my head. :) .

Agree with that.

I have to say though i do have some sympathy with Piquet.

It was interesting that Alex Yoong when asked had to concede that had he been in Piquet's position at the time, he too may well have gone along with the alleged plan, but then later agreed that Piquet was as much to blame as Flav.

I think the truth is that a large majority of young and up-coming drivers who are struggling to keep their seat would have made the same decision, to accept the team's instruction. If someone holds your job, your livelihood, over your head and threatens you with it being ended, that is an awfully tight spot to be put in. On the other hand, Flav had noone pushing him into a corner or threatening him as far as we are aware. That for me makes a world of difference in terms of who we hold culpable.

Piquet Jnr, was in an unenviable position from the word go he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't but I think he has now cooked his goose as far as racing is concerned as if skulduggery is indeed part of the game no one team would trust him so he does deserve some sympathy.

Briatorre. Now there's a character first the traction control cheating when Shumacher drove for him, now this the old saying no smoke without fire springs to mind and no one will convince me Shumacher didn't know, he has always described to his engineers whats happening with the car and of course they must have known I cannot see Briatorre knowing how to do it, so with all the other incidences that have taken place over the years how often do we hear of the team castigating their driver for unsportsman like behaviour, I think it now appears that anything goes just don't get caught.

There are as everyone knows 11 commandments. You can break the 1st 10 with impunity, it's number 11 that gets you into trouble "Thou shalt not get caught".

Oh, and the look on Alex Yoong's face when she asked the question. He had a "Beam me up Scotty" look. :)

There are as everyone knows 11 commandments. You can break the 1st 10 with impunity, it's number 11 that gets you into trouble "Thou shalt not get caught".

Oh, and the look on Alex Yoong's face when she asked the question. He had a "Beam me up Scotty" look. :D

Hi

It's all sorted if you put 2 & 2 together and it come out as 4!

Lotus announced as 13th team! BMW have put in an impressive application and are 14th should a place come available.

Pat Symonds offered immunity is he spills the beanz, see... http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=39017

Obviously the Flav is going to be the fall guy! If Renault are suspended or withdraw in shame, then hey presto 13 teams on the grid again.

So the knives are really out for the Thong! :)

Yet more damning evidence!

Mosley: 'Car data indicate something very unusual...'

Tuesday 15th September 2009

FIA President Max Mosley has ratcheted up the pressure on Renault ahead of next week's meeting of the World Council by suggesting that the telemetry from Nelson Piquet's car at last year's Singapore GP may indicate he crashed deliberately.

With Renault denying the allegations made by Piquet himself, the data from the Brazilian's Renault could prove to be pivotal in the case.

"Certainly the data from the car indicated that something very unusual had happened on the corner where he crashed - according to the experts who look at these things," Mosley told The Guardian. "So there was enough there to make it unthinkable not to investigate. This week Renault will send in written documents but the actual hearing of their defence is next Monday."

Mosley also revealed that he knew of the rumours concerning Piquet's crash at Singapore at the start of the summer and was informed that the Brazilian had crashed on purpose by Piquet's father shortly after July's Hungarian GP.

"Two or three months earlier I'd heard this allegation was floating around. Of course there was nothing one could do then because there was no evidence - it was all rumour and hearsay. So I knew the allegation existed but, yes, I was quite surprised they were actually prepared to come forward and make it.

"Nelson Piquet Sr came to see me after the Hungarian grand prix in late July and said all this had happened. So I listened to him and said, 'Well, if Nelson makes a sworn statement then obviously we'll investigate it.' The father arranged for that to happen. We then started to look at all the onboard data and all the recordings we've got of everything that happened in the car."

Renault have denied the charges and accused Piquet of making false allegations.

Edited by TBWG

Hi

Well things are moving fast!... BMW do not want to miss out on the party... funny how 2 applications arrive at once, just like London buses!

But let's get back to Renault and naughty boy Flavio or should I call him the "Fall Guy" Max maintains that the first he knew of the race fix problem was early summer, well as I have previously mentioned it was well established common knowledge to all in the paddock well before the Chinese GP in April, which is when I first got wind of it as fact!

Now Max is a lot of things but he is not stupid, so he must of known, if he knew then so did Bernie. What did they do? nothing, knowing that nobody was going to rock the boat and be on the wrong end of a vendetta with them and finish up being hounded & grounded like Ron Dennis. (I'd like to know what Dave Richards did to make them so pi**ed off with him). :)

So Max must have been less than pleased when the Piquet's went public. Consequently Flavio will be "Fall Guy". Now personally I dislike the Flav because of his modus operandi, but then I also dislike Schumi because of his dubious activities, shunting off Hill in Australia, running illegal traction control, parking at the hairpin in Monaco maybe he picked them up from Flav.

But the problem is that the current big boys rule by fear and only respond to issues when they are in the public domain. Well Max is going (at least I hope so) Bernie can't live forever but if Todt gets top job at FIA I think it will be more of the same. Let's hope common sense prevails and Ari Vattenen gets the job as F1 does not need to lurch from crisis to crisis.

As for Renault if they depart then BMW are back in, personally I don't expect to see Lotus on the grid so it will not be an issue even if Renault stay.

Whats next!

Hi

Well things are moving fast!... BMW do not want to miss out on the party... funny how 2 applications arrive at once, just like London buses!

But let's get back to Renault and naughty boy Flavio or should I call him the "Fall Guy" Max maintains that the first he knew of the race fix problem was early summer, well as I have previously mentioned it was well established common knowledge to all in the paddock well before the Chinese GP in April, which is when I first got wind of it as fact!

Now Max is a lot of things but he is not stupid, so he must of known, if he knew then so did Bernie. What did they do? nothing, knowing that nobody was going to rock the boat and be on the wrong end of a vendetta with them and finish up being hounded & grounded like Ron Dennis. (I'd like to know what Dave Richards did to make them so pi**ed off with him). :)

So Max must have been less than pleased when the Piquet's went public. Consequently Flavio will be "Fall Guy". Now personally I dislike the Flav because of his modus operandi, but then I also dislike Schumi because of his dubious activities, shunting off Hill in Australia, running illegal traction control, parking at the hairpin in Monaco maybe he picked them up from Flav.

But the problem is that the current big boys rule by fear and only respond to issues when they are in the public domain. Well Max is going (at least I hope so) Bernie can't live forever but if Todt gets top job at FIA I think it will be more of the same. Let's hope common sense prevails and Ari Vattenen gets the job as F1 does not need to lurch from crisis to crisis.

As for Renault if they depart then BMW are back in, personally I don't expect to see Lotus on the grid so it will not be an issue even if Renault stay.

Whats next!

According to pitpass you will have read that Lotus will be on the grid and BMW as the next choice but I think that may depend on who actually owns BMW at the start of the season.

Kick the Flav out and get someone else in to run the team as I think it was probably his decision alone to attempt to fix the race, what about Stewart, he said he would not run for Max job. :D .

Hi

Well I keep finding more dirt on Flavio, what I did not realise was that when Jos Verstappen was almost roasted alive in the Benetton pit-stop it was because Flav had ordered the fuel filter to be removed from the refueling rig in contravention of the safety rules.

So if you are not worried about BBQing your driver and pit crew. The chance of someone being hit by flying debris at Singapore is small beer by comparison.

See for yourself...................

The following is a three-part direct translation from Globo Sport, a leading provider of televised sport in Brazil.

Part One - Nelson Piquet Scandal?

Formula 1 can be close to another scandal. On Sunday, Reginaldo Leme, a commentator for TV Globo, revealed that the International Automobile Federation (FIA) has hired an independent company to investigate the accident of Nelson Piquet Grand Prix in Singapore in 2008, a fact crucial to the victory of Fernando Alonso. Flavio Briatore, Renault team boss is said to have instructed the Brazilian to crash on purpose on lap 16, three after the first pit stop of the Spaniard.

At the time, the strategy of Alonso was considered daring and it would need a safety car in the race to succeed. Coincidentally, Nelson crashed in a spot that would force the entry of the safety car. The FIA research in Spa-Francorchamps has confirmed this.

The crash of Nelson would have been intentional for there to be the entry of the safety car in Singapore. He crashed in a very strange way. Recently, talking with Felipe Massa, he called my attention to it . And Felipe went to Briatore and said: 'This crash is not right, it happened because you wanted it to.'

Other drivers had raised this possibility at the time and now this comes up because of the investigation that the FIA are doing. It hired an independent company and has extensive interviews incriminating Flavio Briatore. So said Reginaldo Leme in the transmission of the Belgian Grand Prix on TV Globo.

Part Two - Briatore Controversies

One of the most controversial of the current Formula 1, Flavio Briatore, 59, has had his name involved in several scandals in the modern era. Close to completing a 20-year career in the sport, the leader of Renault seems to have met his final hurdle

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) has hired an independent company to investigate the accident of Nelson Piquet Grand Prix in Singapore in 2008, a fact crucial to the victory of Alonso. Briatore would appear to have sent the Brazilian to crash on purpose on lap 16, three after the first pit stop of the Spaniard.

If the charges against Briatore are confirmed by the FIA, the leader may even be banned from the sport for manipulating the outcome of a race and their drivers - Alonso and Nelsinho - punished as an example, if the complicity of both in the case is confirmed. It is not the first time the leader is at risk of punishment in the F-1.

The dubious methods of Flavio Briatore began to manifest in his second season of racing with Benetton Formula 1. In 1991, the leader sacked Roberto Moreno and put the then rookie Michael Schumacher in his place during the season, at the Italian Grand Prix. The Brazilian veteran was not even informed of the decision of the team. At the time, he drove alongside the champion Nelson Piquet.

Three years later, in 1994, a series of complaints against Benetton tarnished the first title of Schumacher in Formula 1. A ruling was in place restricting refueling, which would be decisive in the strategy of the teams. Briatore ordered to take out the filter of the machines on his team, which accelerated the process, but made it very unsafe. The ruse was discovered after the fire in the car of Jos Verstappen at the German GP in Hockenheim, involving the driver and the mechanics of the team. But, fortunately, the accident was small in proportion and no one was seriously injured

In the same year, Benetton was accused of using electronic devices (forbidden) disguised in their car, such as traction control and starting. Schumacher put the icing on the cake by winning the championship at the Australian Grand Prix, last year's race, held at the street circuit in Adelaide.

At the end of the 1994 season, Briatore purchased the French Ligier to acquire the right to use the Renault engines, the best of the season. The FIA regulations did not allow him to be the team owner and he passed on the team to Tom Walkinshaw, owner of TWR, also known for dubious maneuvers in other categories.

The title of Schumacher in 1995 was the last light of that year's Benetton. The departure of the German, along with several members of the crew, put the team in the middle of the grid. In 1996, Briatore purchased a share of the Minardi, but could not sell it as expected. The following year, he was fired from Benetton.

Between 1998 and 2000, he led the Mecachrome, who administered the Renault engine in Formula 1 after the departure of the French carmaker, at the end of 1997. In 2001, he returned to Benetton, Renault after buying the team and he was reappointed to the post of chief. In parallel, Briatore began investing in the career of young drivers, as the Spaniard Fernando Alonso, in a clear case of conflict of interest.

In 2003, Briatore sacked Jenson Button and Alonso was put in his place at Renault. Besides the Spaniard, the manager was manager of drivers like Mark Webber, Heikki Kovalainen, Jarno Trulli and Nelson Piquet. In late 2004, after refusing to renew the contract of several members of staff, Briatore sacked Trulli of Renault

The bet on Alonso turned out to be correct, with their titles in 2005 and 2006, the only evidence of the Renault team in Formula 1. But in 2007, the French team was accused of spying on McLaren. According to FIA, Renault had data models 2006 and 2007 rivals. The team was found guilty, but was not punished. Briatore sacked those responsible for bringing the data to Renault.

This year, Briatore enjoyed a great controversy with Brazilian Nelson Piquet. Dissatisfied with the performance of the driver, the manager threatened to fire him just before the start of the races. After the Hungarian Grand Prix, he was off the team and accused the businessman of being his executioner and of taking 20% of the drivers salary.

Briatore was born on April 12, 1950, the Italian city of Verzuolo. He grew up in the Maritime Alps of the country, in a family of teachers. He graduated from high school with very low grades and began working as a ski instructor and restaurant manager. He opened his own business, 'Tribula', which closed shortly thereafter.

In the 1970s, he moved to Cuneo and became assistant to businessman Attilio Dutto, owner of Vernici Paramatta, which manufactures paint. The head of Briatore was killed on March 21, 1979, after his car exploded by a bomb.

After the tragedy, Briatore then moved to Milan to work on the Stock Exchange. This time, he met Luciano Benetton, founder of the Benetton clothing. They became friends and, shortly thereafter, partners. By expanding the company to the United States, the businessman named friend Briatore as director of the American operation of the group.

The Bennetton brand had a successful path in the United States. In 1989, Benetton had about 800 stores in Brazil and Briatore had already made his fortune with a contribution required in each franchise company. The manager left the U.S. victim of his own aggressive strategy: brand stores began to compete with each other and their number fell to 200 at the end of that decade.

Part Three - Bernie Defends Flavio

Ecclestone: 'If confirmed, Nelson is as entangled as Briatore'

While Nelsinho Piquet and Renault do not comment on the scandal involving the Brazilian driver and the leader of the French team, Flavio Briatore, the boss of Formula 1, Bernie Ecclestone commented on the case. He said the Brazilian's career in the sport comes to an end if the allegations are confirmed.

- It's not good for the sport. It all seems very strange, not to know the truth. If confirmed, then Nelson (Piquet) is as entangled as Briatore. If I send you rob a bank and you go, you can not justify it by saying 'Bernie sent me to do that.' But it may be just a rumour and Nelson may only be angry for having been fired - Ecclestone told the website 'Autosport', describing Nelson as 'a very angry young man'.

The international newspaper reports suggest that the sources of the accusations are Nelsinho Piquet and his father, enraged by the dismissal of Renault's Brazilian driver after the Hungarian GP. Ecclestone admits that it is very difficult to prove.

- What I know is that Flavio (Briatore) is saying he does not know anything about it. It will be difficult to prove. If you have something on the radio that says 'Hey, Nelson, crash,' what could they do? But we would have copies of these conversations and someone would have appeared with them in the meantime - he explained.

Well He really is a nasty piece of work!

The article by Globo Sport sounds a touch biased, but who knows?

Its hard to believe that NP would find it easy to crash his car in that way, but Renault are hardly putting up a convincing argument to dispute the theory. Worryingly, the more statements etc. that come out, the easier it is to believe the theory.

Then again, Max obviously hates Flavio and will gladly accept any excuse to get rid of him. He got rid of Ron (and the reasons were sound, if not the motivation) and it looks as if he is in the process of doing the same to Flavio.

Interesting times in F1!

Its hard to believe that NP would find it easy to crash his car in that way, but Renault are hardly putting up a convincing argument to dispute the theory. Worryingly, the more statements etc. that come out, the easier it is to believe the theory.

Then again, Max obviously hates Flavio and will gladly accept any excuse to get rid of him. He got rid of Ron (and the reasons were sound, if not the motivation) and it looks as if he is in the process of doing the same to Flavio.

Interesting times in F1!

Wow , it looks like Renault have saved Max from doing the deed...................

Renault F1 has parted company with team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering chief Pat Symonds over the race-fixing allegations made by its former driver Nelson Piquet Jr.

Piquet has accused Briatore and Symonds of asking him to help secure victory in last year’s Singapore Grand Prix for his then team-mate Fernando Alonso by crashing and triggering a safety car period.

In a statement issued on Wednesday Renault said it will plead guilty to that central charge when it appears before the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council next Monday.

It added that Briatore and Symonds had now left the team.

“The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix,” the statement said.

“It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore, and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

“Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment.”

I read that as Renault intend to stay in F1, so that's 28 cars on the grid! Assuming they all turn up, which is still moot point! But if the do then some will be sharing pits/garages!! :)

It's just been announced that Renault have sacked Briatore and Symonds and that they will not be contesting the FIAs findings, could this be the first skeleton out of the closet?.

I say good riddance to bad rubbish and get on with kicking out lying cheating drivers as well then we may end up with a sport rather than a business.

It's just been announced that Renault have sacked Briatore and Symonds and that they will not be contesting the FIAs findings, could this be the first skeleton out of the closet?.

I say good riddance to bad rubbish and get on with kicking out lying cheating drivers as well then we may end up with a sport rather than a business.

Apparently Prost is top of the list to head Renault team!

Agree.

So i wonder what will happen to that law-suit against the Piquets?

Going on the attack when you are in the wrong is almost as bad as the crime they alleged commited.

I hope that Piquet gets a chance to drive again, once he has served punishment for playing a part in it all.

I also hope that they strike off Alonso's victory from the record books, and punish him too if it's found that he knew what was going on.

Agree.

So i wonder what will happen to that law-suit against the Piquets?

Going on the attack when you are in the wrong is almost as bad as the crime they alleged commited.

I hope that Piquet gets a chance to drive again, once he has served punishment for playing a part in it all.

I also hope that they strike off Alonso's victory from the record books, and punish him too if it's found that he knew what was going on.

My own feelings on this is that anyone who is guilty of complicity in a case like this should have their super licence revoked and engineers kicked out as well, we are talking about an action here that could have cost lives it is becoming quite obvious that the so called sport that we support has more than it's fair share of cheating bas---ds.

The facts of Benetton running an illegal car & also illegally modifying the fuel rig on their way to the championship in 94 are pretty well known in F1 circles and also well documented (see my earlier post 422).

I think the telemetry would seem to prove otherwise which is probably why Renault are not even going to the effort of defending this.

I think the Piquet's were by no means innocents in this case, the fact that Nelson Jnr is now unemployable in F1 is no more than his just reward.

I think the Piquet's were by no means innocents in this case, the fact that Nelson Jnr is now unemployable in F1 is no more than his just reward.

I think that is very harsh. Piquet was following orders. He shouldn't have but some allowance must be given for the fact that he was very young and was having his career held over his head. That's a tough position for anyone to be in.

Besides, who is it that has suddenly decided that he is unemployable? Pundits and ex-drivers as far as i can tell. They aren't the ones who employ drivers, nor do they have the right to right-off young drivers, and certainly not on the basis of having betrayed their ex-team, which is what they all seem to be saying.

The message they send is that Piquet should have kept his mouth shut. He shouldn't have. He did the right thing, albeit a little late!

I think that is very harsh. Piquet was following orders. He shouldn't have but some allowance must be given for the fact that he was very young and was having his career held over his head. That's a tough position for anyone to be in.

Besides, who is it that has suddenly decided that he is unemployable? Pundits and ex-drivers as far as i can tell. They aren't the ones who employ drivers, nor do they have the right to right-off young drivers, and certainly not on the basis of having betrayed their ex-team, which is what they all seem to be saying.

The message they send is that Piquet should have kept his mouth shut. He shouldn't have. He did the right thing, albeit a little late!

Piquet jnr was quite happy to deliberately crash to order even though he knew at the time this to be morally and ethically wrong. I'm sorry I just don't buy the line 'but he was ordered to do it'. He, and subsequently his father, knew what he was doing was wrong on any level.

Having been willing participants to this act, both Piquet's kept their mouths shut so long as it suited them. They only revealed the truth once they felt it was to their advantage. If Jnr had not been sacked they would still be maintaining their silence.

I hardly see this as 'doing the right thing' !

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and we'll have to wait to see who's right about Jnr's future in F1.