2000 Baht Gift Cheques From Govt For Low Paid

astromash

GOVT ACCUSED OF BIAS FOR BANGKOK BANK (Bangkok Post, 21 March 2009)

"The opposition Puea Thai party has accused the government of favouring Bangkok Bank in getting it to produce the first batch of 2,000-baht gift cheques for low-income earners.

The gift cheque scheme, initiated by Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij, is part of the government's 117-billion-baht economic stimulus package aimed at boosting domestic consumption.

The first batch of cheques will be delivered to those who earn less than 15,000 baht a month and register with the Social Security Office by Thursday....."

- - - -

I was rather surprised to read this. I thought a family earning about 12,000 baht a month was doing quite well by Thai standards.

I am wondering what they will give the lowest income group... i.e. the guys called "construction workers" - working 8 hours or more for sometimes less than 160 Baht per day! I know a street cleaner in my Soi. He "earns" less then 100 Baht per day!

Edited by webfact

I am wondering what they will give the lowest income group... i.e. the guys called "construction workers" - working 8 hours or more for sometimes less than 160 Baht per day! I know a street cleaner in my Soi. He "earns" less then 100 Baht per day!

Might not sound like a lot to you, but at least one is actually able to survive on that amount per day here...

The guys making less than 100 baht a day are not Thai and don't vote. The 2000 baht only applies to potential voters for the Democrat party. Hopefully, they can win in the next election and continue their purge of corruption in the Thai government.

Think you will find a lot of the "construction workers" are not even Thai....Burmese....so guess they will be getting nothing.. :o

The guys making less than 100 baht a day are not Thai and don't vote. The 2000 baht only applies to potential voters for the Democrat party. Hopefully, they can win in the next election and continue their purge of corruption in the Thai government.

Yeah, it's not called corruption or buying votes if you use checks.

My family (like just about any family that chooses not to waste its time) is 'pro' a number of parties by the way. Being biased is so NOT profitable.

:o

Think you will find a lot of the "construction workers" are not even Thai....Burmese....so guess they will be getting nothing.. :o

The "construction workers" you are refering to are the unskilled types and are often Cambodian or Burmese. There a many skilled and semi-skilled Thai construction workers that, with overtime, make over 20k a month. A good welder or instrument tech working 7X12+ can make close to 40.

TH

Edited by thaihome

GOVT ACCUSED OF BIAS FOR BANGKOK BANK (Bangkok Post, 21 March 2009)

"The opposition Puea Thai party has accused the government of favouring Bangkok Bank in getting it to produce the first batch of 2,000-baht gift cheques for low-income earners.

The gift cheque scheme, initiated by Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij, is part of the government's 117-billion-baht economic stimulus package aimed at boosting domestic consumption.

The first batch of cheques will be delivered to those who earn less than 15,000 baht a month and register with the Social Security Office by Thursday....."

- - - -

I was rather surprised to read this. I thought a family earning about 12,000 baht a month was doing quite well by Thai standards.

All along I though that government own bank like KrungThai is suppose to be the one cutting the cheque. Whay Bangkok Bank? Did they support the PAD to get that business?

Cheque are not cut for free. Correct me if I am wrong, I think the going rate is 10 Baht/cheque. Multiply by 9 million cheques, and the cheque cutter can easily take in 90 Million Baht in revenue for a 1 day job.

It's the same game, it's called hedging your bets. The folks at Kasikorn owned Loxley manufactured the lotto machines that were to be used under the red shirt gov't while other Kasikorn interests were financing many of the yellow shirt protest activities.

What's the point of playing a game if you don't know whether you're going to win or not? This isn't playing 4-square on the playground.

:o

Might not sound like a lot to you, but at least one is actually able to survive on that amount per day here...

I met a guy working 12 hour days for 200 baht up north. he also had a wife and two kids to support. :o

The "construction workers" you are refering to are the unskilled types and are often Cambodian or Burmese. There a many skilled and semi-skilled Thai construction workers that, with overtime, make over 20k a month. A good welder or instrument tech working 7X12+ can make close to 40.

TH

And many of their wives take in far more! Never the less the average Thai construction worker is making no where near these amounts.

...And many of their wives take in far more! Never the less the average Thai construction worker is making no where near these amounts.

So I guess you do the payroll for some construction projects, so you know what they get paid? What is an “average” construction worker? Have you ever even been on construction project in your entire life, much less one in Thailand or anywhere in Asia?

Your crack about the wives shows what your experience and knowledge of Thailand is about.

TH

All along I though that government own bank like KrungThai is suppose to be the one cutting the cheque.

Krung Thai bank is a public company.

Correct. But like PTT who is also a PLC, the majority shareholder is the government.