Chiang Rai, Yet Chiangmai

klikster

I keep seeing the names transliterated somewhat differently here in TV and wondered if some of the scholars among us can explain the reason. If "Chiang" is a unique word, then shouldn't the correct presentation be "Chiang Mai"? Or if "Chiang" is presented as a syllable, shouldn't we see "Chiangrai"?

I also see:

Chiang Saen

Chiang Khong

Chiang Kham

etc

In my road atlas, I see "Chiang Mai". Is the Chiangmai thing uniquely TV or ..?

Chiang Mai is the formally correct spelling as per the Royal Transcription archives. But using Chiangmai is not exclusive to Thaivisa and you will see it spelled (or misspelled) this way in many places (Google Chiangmai).

Well, there aren't any spaces in the thai language so they could refer to that and try to get away with it. But they won't because that would be stupid. Chiang means city in nothern Thai, a bit outdated but still in use as well as "wiang". Since English uses a space between words it is not correct to write Chiangmai, Chiangrai, because it looks bad and it's two words, not one.

The correct tone should be Cheang = เชียง.

I am Thai and I am still confused why Chiang = เชง.

Not really the right forum to go into details of the Thai language, but the first spelling you show above is the correct one - not sure what you meant by the 2nd one which would be more like chaang with a long "a" sound.

The question was never about tones or sounds. Jianghaiperson, even though that is true with almost any language (outer inner city and so on) people here still refer "ไปเวียง" to "going to town" right?

A long "a" sound in เชง is more like "cheang/chaeng" I think without any double a's. That's probably where kunsamut gone wrong anyways because the "ea" and "ae" combinations do cause problems for some Thais. How many "Chaing Rai" haven't you seen instead of "Chiang Rai"? So what kun samut acually have written in English is strange because it should have been the opposite:

Chiang = เชียง.

Cheang (or Cheng) = เชง.

How many "Chaing Rai" haven't you seen instead of "Chiang Rai"?

I see that quite often .. and made that error the first time I visited Chiang Rai back in '89. A Thai in our group told me the correct sound. I believe that "Chaing" is the more familiar sound to a western ear than is "Chiang". Chiang requires a .. um .. shift mid-word, I guess you might say, almost a two-syllable pronunciation.

BTW, who won the tennis match?

I keep seeing the names transliterated somewhat differently here in TV and wondered if some of the scholars among us can explain the reason. If "Chiang" is a unique word, then shouldn't the correct presentation be "Chiang Mai"? Or if "Chiang" is presented as a syllable, shouldn't we see "Chiangrai"?

I also see:

Chiang Saen

Chiang Khong

Chiang Kham

etc

In my road atlas, I see "Chiang Mai". Is the Chiangmai thing uniquely TV or ..?

Do not understand your point. Is that what's on your mind in Cha-am?? Of course....

The question was never about tones or sounds. Jianghaiperson, even though that is true with almost any language (outer inner city and so on) people here still refer "ไปเวียง" to "going to town" right?

A long "a" sound in เชง is more like "cheang/chaeng" I think without any double a's. That's probably where kunsamut gone wrong anyways because the "ea" and "ae" combinations do cause problems for some Thais. How many "Chaing Rai" haven't you seen instead of "Chiang Rai"? So what kun samut acually have written in English is strange because it should have been the opposite:

Chiang = เชียง.

Cheang (or Cheng) = เชง.

Sure my reply didnt really pointed out how it should be spoken, just pointing the meaning of Wiang for those who might not know the meaning. Yes when saying Pai Wiang = going to town, doesnt reply to all town, only to towns with city wall and not many town in Thailand still have the remaining old city wall in the north we have Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Lampang or maybe Lamphun.

I cant say going to Wiang in Phan, because Phan is just a district, dont have city wall like Amphur Muang. Anyway what i mean to say is that Wiang dated back from Chiang Saen period, its really only for inner city wall area. Now ppl from Amphur Muang always use Pai Wiang because they have city wall in their town. Where other Amphur dont use it. Well except Wiang Chiang Roong district...but thats just the name :o

It should be Jiang instead of Chiang...in local tongue. :D

Good reply,kongjianghai

You're welcome, maybe someone would find it interesting to know what it mean when some local talk about Wiang :o

translation problems

what about going to wiang chai when you come from one way

if you go from koolpunt its vieng chai

so what about that

passport

maneechansuk

the brother

maneesjansuk

thai to english ( no have )