How Much Do You Immerse Yourself In Thailand?

SEAtramp

Myself. I at least like to know a bit about a countries history that i frequent. And given now that i have spent the last 20 years holidaying in Thailand have got slightly more in depth with many aspects of Thailand and its culture.

I'm to old in the tooth to take my knowledge of Thailand any further than a good debate on forums such as this. That to me is a big regret as i wish i had been in position in my youth to have studied in Thailand & become maybe accepted by at least the lower end of Thai echelon society.

OK ###### will freeze over before a farang will make any mark in Thai society. But i sure would like to have moved in some of there circles.

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but, i reckon i could have made a good Mayor of Pattaya. :o

Yer alright...so could have my pet goldfish.

So just out of curiosity, is it just a holiday/buisness/retirement/that interst you only?

Is helping in the rice planting and harvest, net fishing with the locals in rivers, collecting bamboo for the elderly basket makers, collecting bamboo shoots, mushrooms and catching rats, eels and snails for food, assisting villagers building homes, trying to learn fully Thai language, assist in community projects, mixing with the communities and being accepted as a community member by the village elders etc considered as me immersing in Thai life? :o

Edited by NarrLing

Is helping in the rice planting and harvest, net fishing with the locals in rivers, collecting bamboo for the elderly basket makers, collecting bamboo shoots, mushrooms and catching rats, eels and snails for food, assisting villagers building homes, trying to learn fully Thai language, assist in community projects, mixing with the communities and being accepted as a community member by the village elders etc considered as me immersing in Thai life? :o

Chai Khrap!

I dont think it needs to be for residents only....when I have been out to the villages I always try and immerse myself in their way of life....it keeps me busy and gives the locals a good laugh too....I was helping to get the fish out of a just drained pond once...knee deep in mud and digging around for the fish....suddenly an eel made a run and the gf's father took a swing at it with a hoe....missed the eel but spattered me from head to toe with mud...(well knees really as I was upto my knees in it already) gave everyone a great laugh...

Edited by gburns57au

Myself. I at least like to know a bit about a countries history that i frequent. And given now that i have spent the last 20 years holidaying in Thailand have got slightly more in depth with many aspects of Thailand and its culture.

I'm to old in the tooth to take my knowledge of Thailand any further than a good debate on forums such as this. That to me is a big regret as i wish i had been in  position in my youth to have studied in Thailand & become maybe accepted by at least the lower end of Thai echelon society.

OK ###### will freeze over before a farang will make any mark in Thai society. But i sure would like to have moved in some of there circles.

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but, i reckon i could have made a good Mayor of Pattaya.  :D

Yer alright...so could have my pet goldfish.

So just out of curiosity, is it just a holiday/buisness/retirement/that interst you only?

Well my dictionary definition of immerse includes:-

Dip

Plunge

Put Under Water

Involve

Deeply Absorb.

When I first visited Pattaya in 1988 I was then able to have a Dip in the sea at Jomtien as the water was as clear as crystal.

A year later I took the Plunge with a friend of mine and invested in some appartments....needless to say we were robbed by a Thai lawyer and I only just managed to hang onto the shirt on my back.

I have been Put Under Water many times during Songkran.

Afew years later I did Involve myself with a good looking BG who took me to the cleaners (heart ruling head again).

And now I visiit 3 or 4 times a year and am content to Deeply Absorb Singha beer in copious quantities.

As for Mayor I`ll leave that to the dreamers. :o

Yep that would do it :D nice one I'm also pretty "immersed"

I dont think it needs to be for residents only....when I have been out to the villages I always try and immerse myself in their way of life....it keeps me busy and gives the locals a good laugh too....I was helping to get the fish out of a just drained pond once...knee deep in mud and digging around for the fish....suddenly an eel made a run and the gf's father took a swing at it with a hoe....missed the eel but spattered me from head to toe with mud...(well knees really as I was upto my knees in it already) gave everyone a great laugh...

I guess it was one those instances where you had to there to appriciate it. :o

I guess it was one those instances where you had to there to appriciate it. :o

I wasnt trying to tell a joke...just point out that the Thais do enjoy it when we get in there and do these things...but more importantly they will appreciate you more for it. A lot of guys go there and do stuff all and then complain cos they dont fit in.

I wasnt trying to tell a joke...just point out that the Thais do enjoy it when we get in there and do these things...but more importantly they will appreciate you more for it.

I totally agree, I spent a whole year trying to 'immerse' in the Thai way of life. I stayed with a Thai family, did (almost) everything they did, went to a local public high school but Thai never seem to be able to get over the differences.

I only got totally accepted by my classmates (after 8 months) when I went with them on an outing to Koh Samed and got myself totally pissed on lao-soda. Them seeing me in such a poor state finally won them over and they made constant fun of me afterwards. It was great. :o

I wasnt trying to tell a joke...just point out that the Thais do enjoy it when we get in there and do these things...but more importantly they will appreciate you more for it.

I totally agree, I spent a whole year trying to 'immerse' in the Thai way of life. I stayed with a Thai family, did (almost) everything they did, went to a local public high school but Thai never seem to be able to get over the differences.

I only got totally accepted by my classmates (after 8 months) when I went with them on an outing to Koh Samed and got myself totally pissed on lao-soda. Them seeing me in such a poor state finally won them over and they made constant fun of me afterwards. It was great. :D

Never underestimate the value of alchol, while "immersing yourself" it brings down a lot of barriers. I dont know why but I always speak better thai after a few, or do I just think I do :o:D

That sounds more like drowning, than simple immersion. :D

Yep that would do it :D nice one I'm also pretty "immersed"

I am sure that you would be accepted as a community member by the village elders as long as you were working for them like a dog and presumably for free... I`ll bet they preyed every day for another dozen like you. :D

It took a lot of years and visits to do all that and I enjoyed every moment.  :D What else is there to do in a small village? :D Maybe some of you should get off your barstool and enjoy real Thai life. :o

NL :D

...It`s usually on the barstool where all this starts...when the gorgeous young lady smiles and flashes those large brown eyes in your direction and the next thing you know you are heading up the highway to the outer reaches of the Kingdom and the refurbishment of the family home comes on the agenda.....oh...and then there`s the washing machine...after of course you`ve upgraded the electrics and put on a new roof....and built a wash house...and don`t forget the new telly, because they won`t....and finally although totally exhausted....but still in love you part with the Bt 60,000 desparately needed by a member of the familiy living in a far off province who is on the brink of death....but it`s really to pay off the family gambling debts.

Yes my friend I have left the bar stool in the past....but now I find it`s the safest place to be. :D

And you have a work permit for all this, you have to use your smarts if you immersing yourself in Thailand as the EM police might view things differently! anyway what exactly are you trying to say, you sound like aright ego/eco maniac :D

Quote Wanderer. “And you have a work permit for all this, you have to use your smarts if you immersing yourself in Thailand as the EM police might view things differently! anyway what exactly are you trying to say, you sound like aright ego/eco maniac”

Wanderer, you’re entitled to your own opinion, what's your claim to fame? :o

I’ve had a great time and enjoyed Thailand to the fullest. The drunken fun in the bars, the girls, village life, city life, bad times and the good, it’s all been great. The best part is, I still have many more years left to enjoy it.

I never had a work permit, never took a single baht off the villagers and yes, the authorities did invite me along most of the time. They were more than pleased to show the Farang what Thailand is all about. There’s a big difference between working and helping as long as you stay within the law.

I’ve lived and worked in 8 countries. In each one, apart from the one I work in now, I’ve tried to immerse myself in the local scene. It all adds to ones life experience and a lot more rewarding and educational than the fake culture most tourists are shown.

In case you're wondering, I'm not a backpacker, missionary, ecologist, relief worker or general do-gooder, I still have my dark side. :D

You may call me an ego/eco maniac; I prefer to call myself a student of the world. :D

And you have a work permit for all this, you have to use your smarts if you immersing yourself in Thailand as the EM police might view things differently! anyway what exactly are you trying to say, you sound like aright ego/eco maniac :D

And with all due respect, you sound like a knobhead....

There is a difference between earning a living and helping the locals out or just experiencing a bit of rural Thai life. In most cases the police wouldnt even look at you....unless of course you were an arrogant bastard who showed no respect or willingness to immerse yourself in their lifestyle. They have little time for the guy who sits in his Thai mansion playing King Farang of Baan suk mi off

Quote Wanderer. “And you have a work permit for all this, you have to use your smarts if you immersing yourself in Thailand as the EM police might view things differently! anyway what exactly are you trying to say, you sound like aright ego/eco maniac”

Wanderer, you’re entitled to your own opinion, what's your claim to fame?  :o

I’ve had a great time and enjoyed Thailand to the fullest. The drunken fun in the bars, the girls, village life, city life, bad times and the good, it’s all been great. The best part is, I still have many more years left to enjoy it.

I never had a work permit, never took a single baht off the villagers and yes, the authorities did invite me along most of the time. They were more than pleased to show the Farang what Thailand is all about.  There’s a big difference between working and helping as long as you stay within the law.

I’ve lived and worked in 8 countries. In each one, apart from the one I work in now, I’ve tried to immerse myself in the local scene. It all adds to ones life experience and a lot more rewarding and educational than the fake culture most tourists are shown.

In case you're wondering, I'm not a backpacker, missionary, ecologist, relief worker or general do-gooder, I still have my dark side. :D

You may call me an ego/eco maniac; I prefer to call myself a student of the world. :D 

No claim to fame I'm afraid, have worked in about 15 different countries, europe, former soviet union, middle/far east including Thailand, also have been up-country with the mrs. ( well, hour north of Bangkok) i buy the drinks and have spin with the brother inlaw and his buddies but next day they don't expect or want me to tagging along to their jobs. Imagine you had a farm back in UK and your son in law(from say Singapore) rocks up with your daughter and starts immersing himself in your work,milking cows etc, thinking what a great guy he is, whilst he is actually a pain in the ass. Anyway I was only making a light hearted comment about work permit as you do hear about some unusal cases :D

And with all due respect, you sound like a knobhead....

There is a difference between earning a living and helping the locals out or just experiencing a bit of rural Thai life. In most cases the police wouldnt even look at you....unless of course you were an arrogant bastard who showed no respect or willingness to immerse yourself in their lifestyle. They have little time for the guy who sits in his Thai mansion playing King Farang of Baan suk mi off

I heard if you take your head out of your ass, it improves the hearing.

I act like I normally do, no matter what country I visit, I don't feel the need to go out and pretend I'm something I'm not.

Although i don't live in a Thai mansion (unfortunatly), I do know the police have alot more time/respect for a farang living in a Thai mansion than a farang immerseing himself in the local Paddy Fields . As I previously stated working permit laws here are not designed to have the foreigner in favour so I was only giving some loose advise :D