Driving without valid driver's license in Thailand

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

It's against the law for ANYONE to drive without a valid license here and there's a very good chance you will get stopped at some point and asked to produce it.

Thanks for this, Mike, flashbacks of getting stopped everytime I joined the motorway at Klong Toey/Lumphini, every time even with a license, I had to pay the same cop 200 THB due to some imaginary infringement, and it certainly helped in those cirucmstances that I could produce a valid Thai licence.

• Confused 2

No worries JB I am just really checking if it is an absolute no-no and of course, it is! I am not sure I can renew my THai drivers license as I no longer have a resident visa.

15 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand has a treaty with many countries for the mutual acceptance of driving licences as stated in the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

You can legally drive on your British license at least six months, it may be longer. If you’re still in the country after that time, you must have a Thai license.

However, don’t expect plod Somchai to know and you are likely to get fined although you are insured if you have insurance.

They only signed the 1949 one, so even licences in English need an IDP.

But, ironically, you can use the later, 3 year IDP.

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually no.

There will be a legally correct answer.

And then there will be a real life answer.

Likely they are very different from each other. 

Point taken, but I'd settle for the legally correct answer.  Can a Brit, by treaty, legally drive in Thailand using a valid British DL, for how long, and is an IDP required?  

Millions may get away with breaking the law, but they occasionally get caught out when they end up in the hospital and their insurance company denies cover because they were driving illegally.  Or if they get pulled over by the wrong cop.  Also, the "legally correct" answer will probably make the difference when they rock up to a rental car kiosk at the airport.

In years past, we'd have gotten a definitive answer on TVF.  Then the flame wars would start.

• Agree 2

Yes of course you need a valid license!

All the people that are saying you can get away with it are delusional!

Get into an accident and you will find out if it matters or not.

Maybe for Thai people it is easier but for foreigners i can predict you will be out a lot of cash

in any major accident.

No matter how good you drive there is always some one out there who is not going by the rules.

Stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually no.

Bingo.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, impulse said:

Until you end up needing to pay for an emergency repatriation medical flight.  Because your insurance won't pay for an illegal act.

Most insurance does not cover driving motor bikes in foreign countries.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually no.

Isn't being legally correct very important to us foreigners?

It really does not matter how this relates to Thai people.

I was in an accident,had all the legal stuff in place.

The Thai taxi driver who hit us was very sure we were wrong, he even called a police buddy to help him.

After the video was reviewed the out come was he was wrong!

He had no insurance so he had to pay a ticket and for the damage to our vehicle.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:46 AM, gerryBScot said:

Hello everybody, it's been a wee while. The great news is we survived COVID and are heading to LOS for a family holiday in June. The bad news is my drivers licences have expired. I had both a British and a Thai license. I wonder what the position would be if I drive in Thaoland wthout a valid license? I recall reading a few years back something about the Mayor of Bangkok expressing surprise that as many as 60% of the bus drivers in BKK had driving licenses. Just wondering if it is an absolute no-no for me, Johnny Faraing, or if it is generally ok. I should add that I have had any endorsements, points, penalties or bans in either license or in the history of my driving 'career'. Currently resident in The Philippines and not sure there is adequate time for the powers that be here to issue a license. Many thanks.

Think about what would happen when driving without a license in UK??

You think they are all idiots here??😡

• Confused 1