Where Are All The Divers Moving?

MLMartin

Anyone recently (or planning on) moving outside of Thailand to teach diving? Where are the new hotspots? What countries have foreigner-friendly visa laws, work permits, ect?

I suppose this could apply for any job, not just dive instructors....

Anyone recently (or planning on) moving outside of Thailand to teach diving? Where are the new hotspots? What countries have foreigner-friendly visa laws, work permits, ect?

I suppose this could apply for any job, not just dive instructors....

Went to Komodo last yr, brilliant untouched (what we saw anyway) reefs and Flores is a superb relatively unspoilt jumping off point. Dont know how u'd stand for work visa but definetely worth a visit. I heard you can buy land in Indonesia.

Hmm.. it's been up a week and only two replies? Either there is no-where, or the people that know aren't talking!

Thanks for the heads up on Indo. I'll check that out today.

The main problem is that I'm a U.S citizen, and my boyfriend is U.K. Most places that are work friendly for me aren't for him, and vice versa.

I'll still be checking back here for a while! Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to Komodo last yr, brilliant untouched (what we saw anyway) reefs and Flores is a superb relatively unspoilt jumping off point. Dont know how u'd stand for work visa but definetely worth a visit. I heard you can buy land in Indonesia.

I dived Komodo a couple years on a liveaboard...one of the worst dive-spots I've ever been and fierce currents to see nothing much. And you heard wrong, as in most of SE Asia, foreigners cannot own land in Indonesia.

To the op: I would suggest work in the US for you and the UK for ur BF. Why not let the locals have what work is available in their own countries.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

• 2 weeks later...

Basically sport diving is a hobby, every one wants to make a living from their hobby because it is something they like doing, therefore when there are so many looking for work the pay will be low and the conditions hard.