Driving During Songkran

dfc

Hi, I will be in Pattaya during the Songkran 'celebrations'.

What I intend to do is drive up to Korat on the 10th/11th and then back to Pattaya on the 16th/17th.

What are the main roads like during this period for things like traffic and drunken drivers?

Driving in the early hours to avoid all this is not a problem to me and I've done this route before so I have no major problems with 'every day' Thai driving.

What is Korat like for Songkran?

Thanks

dfc

korat is a BIG town the same as chieng mai , phuket and pattaya and if you think by going there ....songkran ... will be any less CRAZY than where you came from ( pattaya ) you are 100 % wrong !

stay at home in pattaya for a week ... lock the door .... and save yourself some money .... by staying at home ...

thats what im doing ..... the original idea of songkran is ok with me ... but the ICY cold buckets of water thrown at you in chiang mai now .... complete with ice cubes ... is not good for a nearly sixty year olds heart !

to me .... SONGKRAN SUCKS ...and always will.

dave2

Edited by dave2

Dave2,

I'm going up there 'cos that's where the G/F family is (a little village about 30 min drive North of Korat).

She wants to visit them so I said I'd consider it. Just fishing for info.

Thanks.

dfc .

im a brit who will be 60 next month

... if you are younger ?

and can stand ICY cold buckets of water thrown at you complete with ice cubes .. great .... you enjoy it ... i DONT ... AND NEVER WILL

dave2

Fair enough mate, I've not got the hang of this site yet.

I've replied to a couple of posts which have been taken the wrong way.

That one was intended to be informative not condescending.

Silver Lining......

52 weeks in a year and you hate 1 of them. I'm still here in the UK hating most of them.

Happy 60th. :o

What I intend to do is drive up to Korat on the 10th/11th and then back to Pattaya on the 16th/17th.

What are the main roads like ...

Have you made a will yet?

What are the main roads like during this period for things like traffic and drunken drivers?

Driving in the early hours to avoid all this is not a problem to me and I've done this route before so I have no major problems with 'every day' Thai driving.

Thanks

Driving over the Songkran period of insanity is risky. Crowds of people, many of whom are drunk, throw water at vehicles even on main highways. If you hit a pedestrian, you will be at fault regardless.

I agree with other posters here that Songkran is utter misery and goes on for far too long. A delightful custom of sprinkling scented water has degenerated into a ridiculous and often violent water fight that is impossible to escape from. A day of mayhem would be OK, but it drags on for a full five days.

The sooner they ban throwing water on the roads, the better.

dfc

korat is a BIG town the same as chieng mai , phuket and pattaya and if you think by going there ....songkran ... will be any less CRAZY than where you came from ( pattaya ) you are 100 % wrong !

stay at home in pattaya for a week ... lock the door .... and save yourself some money .... by staying at home ...

thats what im doing ..... the original idea of songkran is ok with me ... but the ICY cold buckets of water thrown at you in chiang mai now .... complete with ice cubes ... is not good for a nearly sixty year olds heart !

to me .... SONGKRAN SUCKS ...and always will.

dave2

Agree with you Dave2

Fair enough mate, I've not got the hang of this site yet.

I've replied to a couple of posts which have been taken the wrong way.

Yep, getting the hang of this site ain't easy.

I find it's best to pretend that most people are typing their replies with a grin and a chuckle.

And throw in lots of smileys when posting your own replies :D :D :D:o:P:wai:

Well, you get the point :D

Anyhow, even if you don't get any good info here, please do come back after you've made the trip and give a report on the drive. Would be interesting to read.

Have a good trip.

Wonder how many people that have posted here have actually driven upcountry during Songkran.

Well I have, several times. What you will find is that the hiways are about normal, and just like normal, you need to pay attention. When you get to the district towns and some of the smaller towns that the hiway runs through there will be people gathered around water barrels throwing water at anyone that gets in range. If you are on a major hiway, then most of the time when you go through these towns, they people are on the parallel slip roads and you don’t get in range anyway.

Going up on the 10th would probably be ok, if you wait to the 11th you might get stuck in the mass exodus out of Bangkok that happens every year, that could start as early on the afternoon of the 10th (Friday).

Coming back on the weekend of the 18th-19th will be nightmare with the traffic. Have heard tales of taking 10-12 hours to get back from Korat as everyone is coming back. Leave on the Friday 17th and it will be a breeze.

If you are staying in a small village you will probably have a great time. There are a couple of ceremonies at the wat you might get to see and participate in, possible including cleaning the statues of Buddha and building some “sand castles”. At some point, you should pack the kids in the car and take them to the district town, probably near where they go to school and have some water fun.

TH

Well, being around in my 3rd decade I can frankly admit during Songkran I will never leave my house for at least 3 or 4 days. I simply want to live and not get attacked or killed by mostly drunken and brawling weirdos.

No, I am not paranoid but I have seen too many times with my own eyes what has happened on roads, highways, Sois and during so called "Sanuk gatherings".

I am not talking about "making a ti_t of myself" on Kao Sarn which I have always avoided. Drive on the very last day of Songkran from Korat to Bangkok and you will

see and know what I mean... vise versa is the same.

Edited by webfact

"What you will find is that the hiways are about normal"

Maybe, but 2 years ago before I moved up here I drove from Pattaya to 90 kms North of Korat. Coming up 304 it took me 3 hrs and 45 min to get to where hwy 2 runs back into the by-pass road(about 300 kms ?). It took 5 hrs and20 mins to get from there to Pi Mi (about 60kms). To make matters worse, most U-turns and crossovers were blocked so you must keep going north even if you don't want to. Not normal to me. Leave on the 9th if possible. If not be prepared for a mother of all traffic jams.

Thanks

Driving any part of the day during Songkran you will a lot of company, many drivers will want to get a head start just like you. Best of luck to all stay safe. Traffic will be heavy everywhere, and it goes without saying many many drunk drivers and just plain on BAD drivers on the roads.

Like many other posters my advice would be do not do it, but if you must:

go on the 9th if you can rather than 10/11. 10 would ordinarily be OK but as it is a friday will have humungous traffic. If you can't avoid it then go very early. Don't go opn 11th, they're drunk by then.

Coming back make it 17th rather than 16th. Most people likely to come back on either 16th or make a full week of it and come back Sunday the 19th.

Wear a seat belt and drive carefully. (Should always do both here but especially on Songran).

Driven a lot during Songkran, on major highways you won't even know its Songkran apart from the extra traffic on some days. Smaller roads often have people throwing water, but, nothing to worry about if your in a car.

Got to love the over reactions you get to some things on here.

Driven a lot during Songkran, on major highways you won't even know its Songkran apart from the extra traffic on some days. Smaller roads often have people throwing water, but, nothing to worry about if your in a car.

"Extra traiffic"? You think 60 klicks in 5 hours is over reacting?? You are right about nothing to worry about in a car. You, nor anyone else, can go fast enough to hurt anything if you come together. It's just me but I'm just not fond of going somewhere 100's of km away 3 meters at a time. I say again, if you can't go on the 9th either stay put or prepare your self for an ave. speed of about 3.5 km/hr. You figure out how long it will take. Major fun in any culture. Course it beats riding on top of the freakin' bus.

"What you will find is that the hiways are about normal"

Maybe, but 2 years ago before I moved up here I drove from Pattaya to 90 kms North of Korat. Coming up 304 it took me 3 hrs and 45 min to get to where hwy 2 runs back into the by-pass road(about 300 kms ?). It took 5 hrs and20 mins to get from there to Pi Mi (about 60kms). To make matters worse, most U-turns and crossovers were blocked so you must keep going north even if you don't want to. Not normal to me. Leave on the 9th if possible. If not be prepared for a mother of all traffic jams.

Exactly what I found many years ago driving north out of Bangkok - roads packed, junctions blocked, sheer bedlam. Never again.

Thanks

Found an article in the Nation from 2007. Figures in 2008 were much higher I guess.

It gives you an idea what you can expect besides to witness the mother of all traffic jams

Songkran first day: 42 dead, 514 injured

Hopefully the OP will be read our posts and not the out of context quotes others have been making from them. The traffic going north will horrendous starting the early afternoon on Friday, the 10th. Coming back into Bangkok from the north will be just as bad on Sat and Sun the 18th and 19th. Plan your trip accordingly.

The posts about drunken drivers all over the roads with people lining the highways throwing water is just plain rubbish for the most part.

TH

Don't forget to fill up your trunk with alcohol before you leave for the trip. There will be no Singha nor Black label on sales at your rest stops. Drinking is not a crime (if you stay below the limits), but buying is (no matter what quantity).

Don't leave home with it.

The OP is not going to be driving on the major highways out of Bangkok, so any comments on how busy those get are pretty pointless.

As far as I can read that was 'almost' the question the topic starter asked. For main roads or major highways the same conditions apply.

Every Thai will confirm that. Thais know the highways are jammed, so the try to bypas via main roads. Can you imagine what is going on on these main roads?

Edited by webfact

Please note my first post. I believe, maybe wrong, at some point one must get on at least a semi-major road. The OP will do what he feels necessary or wants to do, but if he is going to travel on the 10th or 11th he needs to be prepared to move forwar around a meter progress at a time, what is said here not withstanding. For me this is a very unpleasant way to spend the day, maybe for some it a true joy.

Have made the trip (45km north of Korat) a few times, the last time was for the New Year holiday. I would highly recommend leaving very early on the 10th. We left Bangkok at 10AM on the 30th and what is normally a 4 hour trip took 5 hours. The heaviest traffic was getting out of Bangkok on the ring road until we connected back with Hwy 1. So I would try to get through BKK between 9 and 10 or before 7 if possible. There is a new bypass before Saraburi to go to Hwy 2, it may only cut off a few kms but it does avoid the slowdown making the change from Hwy 1 to Hwy 2. The sign posting was not wonderful but it’s there, sorry do not remember the km marking. It’s a left hand exit; the signage indicates it’s the way to Nakhon Ratchasima.

No open check points during the day until we got to where the Kohn Kaen bypass rejoins Hwy 2.

The brothers made the trip also on the 30th leaving Bangkok at about 6PM and arrived at the house at 3AM on the 31st.

Last year Songkran we went up the day before the masses left and it was a normal drive, the brothers leaving the night the holiday began made the trip in 12 hours.

The village version of Songkran is the way it’s meant to be. If you have no desire to partake no one will dump water on you. If you take a wander around the village it’s likely that the kids or more so the young adults will see it as a major coup to get the farang wet.

Korat city, in the area across from the Mall is no different than most other cities, if you venture into that area you will be fair game to the madness.

Hope this was of some help. I would recommend it. We had friends (English/Thai) couple join us last year and they had a great time.

For return trip can only say we have always left the day before or the day after the masses return.

Hope you enjoy your holiday whatever you decide to do.

I will be working in Saigon at the time would much rather be in Thailand on holiday and wet.

Edited by kjameson

Mmmm....

Plenty of food for thought.

It didn't occur to me that it was so close to the weekend.

I arrive on the 9th, so that's out the 11th is a Saturday so that's out. That leaves the 10th, the 13th or a visit after Songkran.

I've been caught in enough tailbacks on the M1 and M25 (major uk motorways) to last me a life time and I don't intend to be in another one while I'm on holiday.

Think I'm going to play this by ear, I know a few locals who come from the Korat area so I'll be having a chat with them. The g/f want's to see the family for Songkran so I'd like to get her there and the village experience sounds fun but not at the expense of an 8+ hour drive.

Thanks for all the info. :o

Traffic won't be too bad apart from main roads in and out of Bangkok, I wouldn't worry about it too much, yes there will be extra traffic but it is not as bad as some say. I have driven a lot during Songkran and have not come across hour long tailbacks except in the immediate vicinity of Bangkok.

Most of the people this forum don't live here, let alone drive! Never put it past a farang to make a mountain out of a molehill!