Motorbike Driving Test

apple88

Need to apply at Phuket DVLC, on the canal road behind the Technical College. Only costs about 200 baht, but you need a medical certificate (any local doctor), and a paper from Immigration (you'll need your house rental contract/address in Thailand). Can all be done in one full day. Morning at Doc,then Immigration, then apply for test. Afternoon sit test (both written & practical). Not so difficult, but it is a long day.

The written test is not so easy. (computer)

The (correct) answers are just funny sometimes.

As far as i could tell, the questions for the motorbike were the same as for a car.

They let you see the correct answers at the end and you can come back again and retake it so, no need to fail it twice.

THe reaction test is good fun. Watching Thai people trying to switch from gas to brake pedals and they just can't do it.

The driving part is a joke. Chaos, just like in real road situations.

Enjoy. It is good entertainment (except for the waiting lines)

The other thing is that you can't do the test on a tourist visa. The test isn't that hard as have sat it twice over the last couple of years, also if you do fail you can just go back and sit again and again until you pass and you only pay the fee once you have passed.

The other thing is that you can't do the test on a tourist visa. The test isn't that hard as have sat it twice over the last couple of years, also if you do fail you can just go back and sit again and again until you pass and you only pay the fee once you have passed.

Actually you can take the test on a tourist visa. I just did a few weeks ago in Phuket. It's all pretty easy, but takes the better part of a day.

:o

If you have an international driving license you do not need the written test and the driving test, only the "reaction test"

Yes, but the international license must be valid for a mobike. I suspect the OP does not have that (or it has expired) if he needs a Thai license.

i am still on a tourist visa right now, will be getting a 1 year study visa when it runs out in few months...

Ive got a UK driving license, but not for motorbikes...

Been stopped alot for ID checks, never had to pay yet though, once he took out ticket but then he said my UK license was fine.... rest of times theyve let me go ok after i say i left my Thai License in apartment Chalong..

ive got the immigration papers, as needed it last week for changing name on bike....

What about the med certificate? How much is that? Ive got reports from doctors at Bangkok hospital earlier this year after I was there for couple of weeks when was in accident, but not sure if it would count as med certificate

i am still on a tourist visa right now, will be getting a 1 year study visa when it runs out in few months...

Ive got a UK driving license, but not for motorbikes...

Been stopped alot for ID checks, never had to pay yet though, once he took out ticket but then he said my UK license was fine.... rest of times theyve let me go ok after i say i left my Thai License in apartment Chalong..

ive got the immigration papers, as needed it last week for changing name on bike....

What about the med certificate? How much is that? Ive got reports from doctors at Bangkok hospital earlier this year after I was there for couple of weeks when was in accident, but not sure if it would count as med certificate

no - specific certificate - explain to any doctor (doesn't have to be hospital) and they will do

Medical certificate must be within 30 days of test date. ONLY international drivers licenses conforming to the international convention of 1949 are valid in Thailand as Thailand did not sign the convention of 1964.

The international driving license conforming the convention of 1964 seems to be not valid in Thailand but i never had a problem when stopped for checks.

On the other hand i don't know if in case of accident the insurance will cover the damages.

Note that the international driving license (1964) is valid in order to get the Thai driving license.

As LivinginKata said if the license is valid only for cars you will have to take the tests for motorbikes

As LivinginKata said if the license is valid only for cars you will have to take the tests for motorbikes

Maybe it's not that well known but you need a license for mobike and another license for car. At police checks they do check that the correct license is presented.

Yes you need a seperate license for motorbike + car, althought with UK car driving license its hit or miss, sometimes they see it + let me go, one time one pointed at the back showing its only for cars, but when i said thai license is in chalong he let me go... Will be getting the license ASAP though before i do get a ticket..