Archery(?)

rickthailand

sorry for my misspelling but does anyone know if there is a archery(bow and arrow) club or shop in or

around chiang mai/ thanks

rick

There was an Archery club in Mae Rim, run by an English guy called John, not sure if it is still going, as I haven't heard any mentions of it for a few years.

Try a Google search

sorry for my misspelling but does anyone know if there is a archery(bow and arrow) club or shop in or

rick

Chiang Mai U.

Shop on sat. walking street on the right side comming from moat. Next to motorcycle shop.

Here are som contact details for the Archery place at Mae Rim.....

Previous poster is correct as the guy is English John and I also have had no contact for a couple years.

If you read Thai or have someone to interpret for you, give it a try...

If not you can at least try the telephone numbers

Good Luck

Gonzo

post-22124-1237872209_thumb.jpg

The numbers look a little sus, but try anyhow...... let us know how you make out

Here are som contact details for the Archery place at Mae Rim.....

Previous poster is correct as the guy is English John and I also have had no contact for a couple years.

If you read Thai or have someone to interpret for you, give it a try...

If not you can at least try the telephone numbers

Good Luck

Gonzo

post-22124-1237872209_thumb.jpg

The numbers look a little sus, but try anyhow...... let us know how you make out

Sadly, John passed away suddenly this year. He and his wife, Daeng, ran the archery club in Mae Rim. Currently, the club is not operating. I actually talked to Daeng this morning regarding this thread. She told me that she plans on starting a new club soon but doesn't know when exactly. (She isn't that focused on it now as, understandably, she has more important family matters to be concerned with.)

While I don't personally do archery, I've heard that she's a very good instructor as she learned everything from John. She's very passionate and knowledgeable about the sport. I'm sure that she would be about the best resource for information regarding archery in Chiang Mai (where to buy equipment, ranges, etc.). Daeng also speaks English very well which also helps.

Anyone interested can PM me. I have her e-mail address, and she's asked me to pass it along to anyone interested in archery. (I don't want to post it in a public forum as I want to respect her privacy.)

rick

Chiang Mai U.

Shop on sat. walking street on the right side comming from moat. Next to motorcycle shop.

Would someone try to be a bit more specific with these directions.

Is that Rachadamroen Rd ?

Coming from Tapae Gate away from the moat ?

How far from the moat ?

I tried to find it today & failed.

Then got in a motorbike crash & spent the afternoon at Suan Duoc.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Would someone try to be a bit more specific with these directions.

Is that Rachadamroen Rd ?

Coming from Tapae Gate away from the moat ?

How far from the moat ?

I tried to find it today & failed.

Then got in a motorbike crash & spent the afternoon at Suan Duoc.

Thanks in advance.

Since the poster said SATURDAY WALKING STREET I am guessing it's on Wulai Road.

Thanks Sam, you just answered the question I posted before I spent a couple of hours walking the wrong street.

I guess I'll take a look next time I visit CM.

Given the apparent number of Robbin' Hoods here, even discounting career-professionals such as the politicians & BiBs, one might have expected there to be better facilities for them ?

I guess they must just hang-out in whatever's left of the woodlands, traditional behaviour for these informal-groups of freelance wealth-redistribution-consultants, I understand ?

Whence sometimes emanates the strange sound of people practising Robbery With Violins. :o

You may have guessed that it's a very quiet day, here in Mae-Jo, for those of us too timid or wise to go out on the streets during Songkran. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've now found the shop.

The origional directions were correct, just lacking a bit of detail.

Its on Wualai Rd, about 500 m south of the moat, on the right hand side.

Its not next to a motorbike shop, its in the motorbike shop.

The easy way to spot it is to look for a large (8ft high) piece of yellow machinery standing outside on the pavement.

The shop sells JRD bikes. Possibly the only bike shop of any note on Wualai.

If youre heading towards the moat you can see the glass display case with bows etc.

The owner is a Thai guy who speaks very good english & is friendly & helpful.

He has a selection of recurve, compound & crossbows.

Prices start at 2500 B for a kids recurve, up to 15,000 for the big boys stuff.

If there's anyone in Pai with an interest in Archery, please PM me.