Health Supplements And Fedex

edwardandtubs

I bought a health supplement from the US and FedEx called me asking what was in the package so I told them. They said this was subject to review by Food/Drug Agency and customs which would cause a delay and a customs charge of 3-5%. So paying the extra to have it shipped by FedEx instead of International Mail was a total waste. I doubt the Thai postal service would have called me asking what was in the package. As it was a small package they probably would have just processed it straight away. So this is a warning to others - FedEx is a total waste of time and money if you're buying supplements or vitamins.

Anyone else have any advice to give about the best way to have supplements shipped?

Fedex is absolutely the worst way to have anything shipped, do not even get me started on them, I could tell horror stories for hours. They seem to specialize in making it hard to get your package into the country and are hopeless at dealing with customs etc.

Best way is regular air mail and have whoever sends it label it "nutritional supplement". May or may niot be charged duty but will otherwise usually have no problems.

These people are a disgrace! They want me to pay a "clearance service charge" of 1700 baht. The contents of the package only cost $30 (1000 baht). I gave them an earful and they admitted the "clearance service charge" is an administrative charge I must pay to FedEx. The customs charge itself is a couple of hundred baht at most. It would be cheaper for me to order the product again but get it sent by International Mail so thanks to the FedEx monkeys I've just flushed $56 dollars down the toilet ($30+$26 FedEx shipping costs).

I hear you. What they did to me was even worse but I won'r even begin to go into it because I have gotten my recently acquired high blood pressure nicekly under control and wish to keep it that way. Suffice it to say that unnecessary clearances from whatever department is in charge of clearing things electrically and the FDA (AKA the Black Hole) were involved, the file got äccidentally "lost" innumerable times, it dragged on for 6 months and then I had to pay for excess storage time in customs...all that for a simple home spa of the type one fills with a garden hose......!!! :o:D

What I can't figure out is how they stay in business at all given thatthis is their modus operendi....

I ordered a nutritional supplement from the US. The price was $30 and the FedEx shipment fee was $26. FedEx Thailand called me to say I had to pay them 1700 baht. The breakdown is as follows:

Customs Duties/tax THB309

Clearance surcharge THB1284

Customs fee THB107

Total THB1700

First, this is a warning to others not to use FedEx but I also wondered whether, if the package is being held by customs, I could just go and pay the customs fee myself and let FedEx sue me for their "Clearance surcharge" if they're so inclined. Does anyone know the standard procedure in Thailand? Are such packages held by customs or will it have been released to FedEx already? Would customs release it direct to the customer? If so where would I go to collect it?

I ordered a nutritional supplement from the US. The price was $30 and the FedEx shipment fee was $26. FedEx Thailand called me to say I had to pay them 1700 baht. The breakdown is as follows:

Customs fee THB107

Total THB1700

First, this is a warning to others not to use FedEx but I also wondered whether, if the package is being held by customs, I could just go and pay the customs fee myself and let FedEx sue me for their "Clearance surcharge" if they're so inclined. Does anyone know the standard procedure in Thailand? Are such packages held by customs or will it have been released to FedEx already? Would customs release it direct to the customer? If so where would I go to collect it?

I find it a bit over the top that your title suggests that all these charges are FED EX related. Are you 100% sure it doesnt apply to say DHL or TNT or others as well?

If it does, then the term extortion as it relates to FED EX is wrong.

I find it a bit over the top that your title suggests that all these charges are FED EX related. Are you 100% sure it doesnt apply to say DHL or TNT or others as well?

If it does, then the term extortion as it relates to FED EX is wrong.

The customs charges are from customs but the "Clearance surcharge THB1284" is a FedEx administrative fee.

I thought I would start a new topic in the General Forum because we're not really talking about health any more, we're talking about FedEx and customs but never mind, mods know best.

Customs fee THB107

Total THB1700

Did you at any point sign something authorizing fedEx to clear this for you? If so it would have somewhere in the fine print have obligated you to pay for that "service" (ha!) so you would owe them provided (here's the rub) they fulfilled their end. In my (painful) experience with them they don't lift a finger until they have gotten such an agreement from the recipient. (You would think that the price paid by the sender would alreadty include this, but apparently not, although FedEx is the only company I have encountered where this is so). In fact I have known them to retrun parcels to sender if they could not quickly contact the recipient to obtain such an agreement.

If you did not sign such a form or give consent by phone to essentially "hire" them to do this for you then I don't think you owe them a thing, although you do of course have to pay customs.

If you did sign something or verbally authorize it, I imagine you could refuse to pay on grounds that the "service"was not properly rendered and send them a letter to that effect as one would with any business that failed to provide services of acceptable quality. They are so inept that I'd be surprised if they followed up one way or the other.

Whether or not they have some arrangement with customs I don't know but would think that customs would release a pacrcel to the reciopient upon payment of all applicable customs charges and if you liv e in bangkok and don't mind spending about half a day in an unpleasant spot it may be worth trying.

The main customs office is down by Hualumpong (sp?) train station, shown I think on most maps. Easy walking distance from the train station, I think about 1 block north and east of it (but double check this). Whatever you do, don't drive there, no parking to be had for miles.

Can expect a long wait e.g. several hours so bring a book or something. Beyond that it's pretty straightfoward, assuming you have the receipt or soemthing showing the customs reference number. but quite likely you do not as it woudl be in the clutches of FedEx. In that case may take some digging through registers and more time, see if you can find any sort of reference number first.

BkkJames: in my experience this does NOT apply to TNT or DHL, or EMS or for that matter anything but FedEx. They are uniquely awful. But unless I am missing it, no one has used the term "extortion" here...

As said before, simple normal airmail is best. My experience and that of many other posters. If you want to help ensure speedy passage through customs, there is an online manula somewhere with the relevant customs codes, look up the one appucable to whatver is being sent and have the sender put that in the relevant space of the customs form. This is particularly helpful if what is being sent is likely to be unfamiliar to the customs people or hard for them to categorize. But if it is just nutritional supplements, they should be able to deal with that.

If not regular air mail then EMS which is basically expedited air mail, still through the postal service.

I get herbal remedies sent on a regular basis from australia,always use aust.post and if you go down the same route in the USA make sure you do it recorded delivery.have never had any problems re postal authorities or customs.my supplier always puts on the package"herbal supplements for personal use only"

EMS, available from the U.S. Postal Service and I would imagine all other countries. Sent Post Office to Post Office-never a problem.

However, if you are ordering your supplements directly from a manufacturer or supplement supplier, they usually prefer to ship via a commercial carrier. Unless you telephone them directly, and request your shipment be sent via the Post Office.

Edited by maxjay

Thanks for the advice Sheryl. I didn't sign anything giving FedEx authorisation to clear it. I just paid the company that sold the supplement and then was called by FedEx Thailand asking what was in the package. They then told me what they were going to do. They didn't ask me and certainly didn't tell me about the 1284 baht surcharge. Here are the last two online tracking entries:

Mar 24, 2009 11:16 AM

Clearance delay

SAMUTPRAKARN TH

Mar 24, 2009 6:11 AM

At dest sort facility

SAMUTPRAKARN TH

I believe SAMUTPRAKARN is where the airport is so it's probably being held by customs in the airport.

Yes, sounds like it. In that case try the air cargo customs facility there.

Since you never agreed to pay Fedex to clear this for you through customs, as i read it you are perfectly free to do so yourself. But you are still going to need some sort of tracking number to have much hope of finding it.

If you decide to do this bring along your passport for identification.

In this particular case I would tell them just to keep the package. Sometimes they will change their story if they have to keep the package.

I shipped 4 very large boxes here (via UPS) from the US and customs wanted to charge B60,000. I told them I will buy new here and forget the boxes. They dropped the charge down to B6,000.

Also, I shipped an item by UPS and the the package was damaged and unusable. I reported this to UPS and after 6 weeks of communication they refused to pay damages.

Further, I have found anything sent standard mail and not having any tracking or insurance is open game for theft. I have lost 2 expensive boxes sent through the government post office. Their response to my lost was "it probably was delivered to the wrong address". I will try DHL next and see if my luck improves.

His problem is not with customs or customs charges (which are modest), it is with FedEx which wants to charge extra -- on top of tyhe shipping fee already paid -- for "clearing"it for him.

My wife often imports packages and she always authorizes formal custom clearances and is happy to pay them. Who would want to go down to customs to clear them for say 1300 baht? Between traffic - the heat- long waits etc 1300 baht is not a problem.

You can always clear packages yourself or hire someone else.

The post office is simpler to use for simple smaller value items - but for some items you will still need a formal clearance complete with a customs bond which is included with FedEx, UPS etc,

Also all the major services are about the same.

Why should FedEx provide a service for free? Use the post office if you are allowed to for your small import. EMS as others have stated is not bad.

...so what was the final outcome...?

I'm just now reading this post, frustrated for you, frustrated for me as I'm a bit late to ask; did you call FEDEX in the USA to see about these charges? In the past, I've had experiences, similar to this, mostly TIT, where when the home office or corporate was involved, (or even hinted at getting a call), suddenly things changed... Curious...

Why should FedEx provide a service for free? Use the post office if you are allowed to for your small import. EMS as others have stated is not bad.

It isn't a question of providing services for free. It's part of the price you pay for FedEx shipping. As their own website states:

"FedEx Express provides standard customs clearance at no extra charge for import shipments."

The issue is that they incorrectly decided that "special" clearance services were required and went ahead with that without my authorisation.

It isn't a question of providing services for free. It's part of the price you pay for FedEx shipping. As their own website states:

"FedEx Express provides standard customs clearance at no extra charge for import shipments."

The issue is that they incorrectly decided that "special" clearance services were required and went ahead with that without my authorisation.

I dislike paying extra fees as much as anyone but I wonder why you think that the formal clearance was not required? The FedExs of the world go by the book and do whatever is most conservative this is simply how they operate.

"They didn't ask me and certainly didn't tell me about the 1284 baht surcharge." Now this is something different and is an error on their part - you should have been given the choice to clear the product by yourself. Although again why would anyone waste their time for such a small sum of money?

The 1284 baht sounds about right for a very standard formal clearance nothing special.

Because the post office does not always require formal clearance does not make FedEx wrong.

The issue is really between you and the company that you ordered from.

I have friends who live in America and order shoes from England. FedEx and UPS will often charge the customs clearance fee plus duty while the same products will often go without extra charges when going through the mail it is normal. Again the issue is between customer and supplier.

Thing is, Fedex in Thailand (and in my experience only in Thailand, not the same as Fedex elsewhere) tends to be much less efficient than other services and more likely to decide that "special"clearances, licenses are necessary when another courier service delaing with the same exact thing would not.

It is hard to describe (or at any rate would not be worth the rise in blood pressure on my part to start going into) just how bad they are. Has to be experienced to be believed.

It's been my experience that their involvement not only does not expedite the clearance process but vastly confuses and complicates it....

Thing is, Fedex in Thailand (and in my experience only in Thailand, not the same as Fedex elsewhere) tends to be much less efficient than other services and more likely to decide that "special"clearances, licenses are necessary when another courier service delaing with the same exact thing would not.

It is hard to describe (or at any rate would not be worth the rise in blood pressure on my part to start going into) just how bad they are. Has to be experienced to be believed.

It's been my experience that their involvement not only does not expedite the clearance process but vastly confuses and complicates it....

Inside Bangkok we have had zero problems with FedEx and we use them often - outside Bangkok where they used agents we had delivery slow downs but other than that no problems.

We also have not had problems with the Thai mail so maybe we are just lucky.

I have had many blood pressure rising problems with the US post office - many.....

Here's the latest nonsense from FedEx:

"Yes, if FedEx clear out package for you, there'll be no storage charge,

but if you run yourself clearance process, the storage charge must be

paid to BFS warehouse.

And the rate of storage charge from first arrival date till today will

be approximately 2,707 THB. (this is approximately charges, validity

till tomorrow released process).

Actually, there'll be service charge, in case it's pending for

confirmation, but FedEx is your clearance agent, there'll be no storage

charges, even it's pending, but if you confirm yourself clearance,

actually, package will be move to other warehouse (BFS) with actual

storage charge payment."

Here's the latest nonsense from FedEx:

"Yes, if FedEx clear out package for you, there'll be no storage charge,

but if you run yourself clearance process, the storage charge must be

paid to BFS warehouse.

And the rate of storage charge from first arrival date till today will

be approximately 2,707 THB. (this is approximately charges, validity

till tomorrow released process).

Actually, there'll be service charge, in case it's pending for

confirmation, but FedEx is your clearance agent, there'll be no storage

charges, even it's pending, but if you confirm yourself clearance,

actually, package will be move to other warehouse (BFS) with actual

storage charge payment."

Did that come from fedex at the sending end?

Because as I recall, having been through this several times:

1- there is a certain grace period (?30 days perhaps? I forget exactly ) before storage charges are applied regardless of who is clearing it.

2 - FedEx will charge you (or more acurately, customs will charge you and you will have to pay it, either yourself directly or thru FedEx) for storage charges. Possibly this kicks in after a certain period of time i.e. perhaps their charge for clearing the package is inclusive of up to a certain amount of storage charges, this I do not remember, but most assuredly it is not open-ended. I know I had to pay for a full six month'sof storage charges when last I went through this (6 months that need not have been incurred had they not so totally bungled the clearance process, repeatedly lost the paperwork etc etc).

It is interesting that one member has mentioned having no problems with what sounds like using them in a work context. I have wondered if their service might be quite different when Thai companies are the client. Certainly they could not possibly stay in business if they handled all accounts the way they seem to handle clearance of personal items. As you have no doubt noticed, it is very hard to get an English speaker on the phone there and in my many conversations with them it was quite apparent they were accustomed to clearing things for commercial businesses, not personal use, and unfamiliar with the applicable laws and procedures. They also made it pretty evident they did not like having to deal with a farang.

Anyhow for your particualr dilemma you really have 2 choices: pay what they are asking, or forget it and have it resent by regular mail. Either way don't use FedEx again.

Sheryl,

You make an interesting point. My wife is Thai and I think all her transactions with FedEx and UPs are business related. Also she does enough shipping to understand problems before they happen.

Now and then she has complicated shipments and she does not us FedEx and sort of not UPS by this I mean that UPS has an agent CDS here in Bangkok for commercial shipments. CDS (shipping agent) is wonderful but not cheap..... they took care of moving an entire business to Thailand and personal items. They knew all the laws very, very well.

All gifts from family back home usually arrive by US priority mail a happy midpoint between normal airmail and express mail.

Sheryl, the email came from FedEx Thailand.

When I said they could keep the package they halved the surcharge so the whole thing cost under 1000 baht which I accepted. The nonsense didn't stop there though as the delivery man arrived asking for 1200 baht. Talk about the left arm not knowing what the right arm's doing! I ended up eventually paying the agreed sum of under 1000 baht though. I'll use standard air mail next time.