Want To Make Cheese

hello

want to retired soon and start a small business of making cheese (few french cheese and few goat cheese)

is anybody do this is Thailand..

i love to have your point of view and maybe help ,how to start and how to get fresh milk

the price of cheese in Thailand is import and very expensive this could be a good business for the right people

Samui as many hotel

any idea will be welcome

Eric

hello

want to retired soon and start a small business of making cheese (few french cheese and few goat cheese)

i love to have your point of view and maybe help ,how to start and how to get fresh milk

the price of cheese in Thailand is import and very expensive this could be a good business for the right people

Samui as many hotel

any idea will be welcome

Eric

its probably worth a visit to the milk/cheese farm in the highway between BKK and Korat. i'm going that way my self in a few days, maybe i'll have time to stop in and sample the produce and see what's up and report back.

Where I live the milk collection depot has limited capacity, but is obligated, I believe, to taking all local milk that is delivered. This results in them either giving it away free or pouring it away due to insufficient storage tanks. I'm sure that this just doesn't happen here. If the OP picks his location well he could be on a winner.

Edited by coventry

Hi There

yeah sure you can produce cheese in Samui as long as you can find a local source of "raw" milk, pasteurisation kills the enzymes necessary to produce cheese. If you can find goats milk all the better as it does not require pasteurisation although now some of the large supermarket chains in the U.K. are unfortunately using the process . It kills off the lactobascillus bacteria in the milk. Try leaving a glass of unpasteurised milk and a glass of pasteurised milk at room temp, the unpasteurised will become "yoghurt" whilst the pasteurised will simply go off developing blue green mould. My neighbour in the U.K. runs a small organic dairy herd of goats and makes a decent soft cheese. He used to run over !00 goats and supply a well known british supermarket chain.Other than the the soft cheeses many other recipes especially  hard cowsmilk cheeses call for the milk from a morning milking as well as an evenings milking (they differ slightly in their composition maybe MaizeFarmer could help clarify this as I'm no dairyman maybe its the fat content). You're also gonna need to find a source of rennet (an enzyme from the young animals stomach which helps it digest its mothers milk thes rennets are specific to either cow or goat).Soft cheeses can be made without rennet as they are usually acid set.You're also gonna have to think about a cooling system if you want to mature any cheese and remember that hygiene is essential in producing any dairy product you cannot cut any corners and do it "Thai style" sterilise,sterilise and sterilise any tools and utensils thoroughly !! This info comes from my limited knowledge of cheese production as a chef so take it at face value its not gospel and do plenty more research ,you could try over in the food forum if you haven't already.

chok dee na

Jandtaa   

Rennets : I import mine direct from the UK, couldn't find any here.

Storage : at the moment I'm using a second hand cold food delivery container, it work well but I'm talking with a cold food company to try to rent some cold space if I expand.

There are cheese makers in Thailand - and goat cheese makers. Sirichai is one, and another one I went to in early January this year with the unlikely name of "Lulu and Daisy Dairy Goat Farm" (Chonburi area) - in all there are half a dozen or so.

Its popular stuff with well to do families, but outside that market there is hardly any - unless you can tapinto the hotel and ex-pat market.

Doing it on Koh Samui? - dont know if the cost of land added to transport and distribution would make it viable - land/premises on Koh Samui carries a very high premium.

Malaysia -more goat farms there and a higher consumption of milk. Thailand traditionaly has not been a milk consuming society, but that now fast fast changing.

There are cheese makers in Thailand - and goat cheese makers. Sirichai is one, and another one I went to in early January this year with the unlikely name of "Lulu and Daisy Dairy Goat Farm" (Chonburi area) - in all there are half a dozen or so.

Its popular stuff with well to do families, but outside that market there is hardly any - unless you can tapinto the hotel and ex-pat market.

Doing it on Koh Samui? - dont know if the cost of land added to transport and distribution would make it viable - land/premises on Koh Samui carries a very high premium.

Malaysia -more goat farms there and a higher consumption of milk. Thailand traditionaly has not been a milk consuming society, but that now fast fast changing.

The dairy coop is just around the corner.

My wife makes a very nice ricotta cheese , we have it for breakfast, with home made bread & thick foamy cappuccinos made with real Mocha coffee from Yemen !

Or put it on thin crust pizza made in the wood burning oven ; a little high in cholesterol but healthy for the kids. The list goes on !

Amazing what can be found in Buriram !

I understand that water buffalo milk is excellent for making I believe Morzarella cheese. There are a few herds in the UK for this purpose. I passed one in west Wales and I asked a local farmer why they were being farmed. He told me that the farmer was getting 49p per litre for the milk as opposed to just over 20p for the normal Friesian/Holstein cattle milk.

buffalo milk -- the amount is less, the type and amount of fat is different, and the breeding of milk buffalos is more complex than for cows (need a ox teaser -i. neutered bull to check heat, then breed)

ricotto is not made from milk but from whey-- the cheese made like ricotta is the same type i make with goats milk and vinegar/lemon... a soft curded farmers' cheese.

first i worked with goats and made soft cheeses/now i am a chef/cook in a hotel with access to amazing local boutiqe cheeses which in israel are many as tiny goat dairies are cropping up all over; but my thai husband wont touch cheese the same as i wont touch plaa raa. yech.!!!

and there is such a thing as kosher rennet which is artificial enzyme since in israel many people also wont touch rennet cheese seeing as it is 'not kosher '... we could buy it in drug stores in pill or liquid form /not neccessarily form the stomach of the calf.

and with goats: morning milk is higher in fat and goat produces more, evening milking there is a drop in amount, in israel cows are milked three times in a 24 hr period with very very high production per cow/ goats are different story

bina

israel

hi all,

can anyone tell me where i can find the ingredients what i have to add to the milk to make cheese?

in my language we call it zuursel and stremsel but i don't know in english,i guess "rennet and sour"?

also the coating i need to find.

i'v been busy trying to find this already for two months and would be more than pleased if someone could help me.

we have a dairyfarm and this is why i want to make my own cheese,milk enough but no cheese.

thanks alot!

luc

hi all,

can anyone tell me where i can find the ingredients which i have to add to the milk to make cheese?

in my language we call it zuursel and stremsel but i don't know in english,i guess "rennet and sour"?

i'v been busy trying to find this already for two months and would be more than pleased if someone could help me.

we have a dairyfarm and this is why i want to make my own cheese,milk enough but no cheese.

thanks!

luc

hi all,

can anyone tell me where i can find the ingredients which i have to add to the milk to make cheese?

thanks!

luc

Dude I have been looking and calling everywhere for rennet. but can't find a source yet ....

Might be easier to just get a fresh cow stomach and make your own

I am going to give it a go come the rainy seasons will let you all know how I make out .......... in the mean time if I find any I will let you know ... feal free to pm me if you find it first :o:D

hi all,

thanks!

luc

let the milk go sour and slightly solid. then put into large muslin bags, hang them up and let the liquid drip down until the contents become solid. This is the easiest way and you can flavour the cheese how you like. But trying to make cheese here in Thailand other than this way is allmost impossible or extremely difficult. There are only a couple of large companies who have produced a reasonable cheese. One is ARO. They are a big company and use sophisticated machinery and ingredients but thier cheeses do not compare in quality with imported ones.

I pulled this off of a translated Thai forum (you might try coment #2):

Comment 1. ลองเข้าไปดูที่ศูนย์พันธุวิศวกรรมแห่งประเทศไทย อ่ะคะ Try to visit the Center for Genetic Engineering อ่ะคะ Thailand.

www.biotec.or.th อ่ะคะ Www.biotec.or.th อ่ะคะ. เค้ามีบริการขายเชื้อจุลืนทรีย์อ่ะคะ เค้า infected with sales service capacity ลื Nt Re ย์อ่ะคะ.

By : 143 (29/11/2548 13:13:55) IP. By: 143 (29/11/2548 13:13:55) IP. 58.11.5.xx 58.11.5.xx. -------------------------------------------------------------------

ความคิดเห็นที่ 2 Comment 2. i have rennet both rennet in form of liquid and tablet form. i have rennet both rennet in form of liquid and tablet form. i also have thermophilic culture which is use to culture the bacteria for cheese making so if u are interested u can call me @ 0876901211 my name is som o By : siripun By: siripun. icon_email.gif (05/07/2551 21:34:45) IP. (05/07/2551 21:34:45) IP. 202.91.18.xxx 202.91.18.xxx.

Or, this is an excellent and very detailed description, with pictures, for making your own:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Chees...reparation.html

Just need to find a calf/lamb stomach :o

I pulled this off of a translated Thai forum (you might try coment #2):
Comment 1. ลองเข้าไปดูที่ศูนย์พันธุวิศวกรรมแห่งประเทศไทย อ่ะคะ Try to visit the Center for Genetic Engineering อ่ะคะ Thailand.

www.biotec.or.th อ่ะคะ Www.biotec.or.th อ่ะคะ. เค้ามีบริการขายเชื้อจุลืนทรีย์อ่ะคะ เค้า infected with sales service capacity ลื Nt Re ย์อ่ะคะ.

By : 143 (29/11/2548 13:13:55) IP. By: 143 (29/11/2548 13:13:55) IP. 58.11.5.xx 58.11.5.xx. -------------------------------------------------------------------

ความคิดเห็นที่ 2 Comment 2. i have rennet both rennet in form of liquid and tablet form. i have rennet both rennet in form of liquid and tablet form. i also have thermophilic culture which is use to culture the bacteria for cheese making so if u are interested u can call me @ 0876901211 my name is som o By : siripun By: siripun. icon_email.gif (05/07/2551 21:34:45) IP. (05/07/2551 21:34:45) IP. 202.91.18.xxx 202.91.18.xxx.

Or, this is an excellent and very detailed description, with pictures, for making your own:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Chees...reparation.html

Just need to find a calf/lamb stomach :o

thanks mate,

i think this will help me out!

grts,

luc

Hey Luc,

Great to find out you're interested in producing cheese.

I dropped you a PM containing some (hopefully) useful information. Of course you can buy rennet and cheese cultures in Thailand, just have to know which company sells it (for example the East Asiatic Company in BKK who is a representative for Chr.Hansen). I am not so sure about cheese-coating, but it should not be too difficult to get the basic ingredients and mix by yourself.

Let me know if you received the info. If not I will try to send again.

Vriendelijke groet, Erik

hi all,

can anyone tell me where i can find the ingredients what i have to add to the milk to make cheese?

thanks alot!

luc

I am Bob in Laos and last month I order from u.s. this book wiht a lot of adresseS and recipeS check its very nice

HOME CHEESE MAKING BY RICKI CARROLL STOREY PUBLISHING

so werre is your dairy farm ,i am starting my hone in Laos

well i know there are about 7-8 cheese plant in thailand now from north to south from small to a really big one. If you looking why no one doing it its easy it just because of the raw mat price is so high for example cow milk is at around 18 baht per litres and goat is at about 80 baht per litres and buffalo is pretty much at the same and plus OH to the customer it prob leave you with 10-15% dif than the import although because of quality of the milk here is very low your cheese would not be able to campare with the proper french cheese and plus if you want to make cheese down south the logistic cost would be so expensive and plus you have pasteurized your milk here and most of french they dont do it or they do it at lower temp

good luck

ps. I know a guy who make cheese in korat the company call Caroline so leave your number and maybe i ask him to give you a call may be he can produce for you :o

wath kind of cheese cow milk or got milk Thanks Bob Vientiane

I haven't heard of anyone making cheese in Thailand. I will be very interested to know how you get on.

Please remember to keep us informed of your progress/success.

Good luck.

I have no knowledge of cheesemaking - only eating.

I do know that rennet is used and is some kind of enzyme from a calf's stomach, so maybe you can make your own?

People in India make vegetarian Cheese (that is - without using renin). They substitute renin with lemon juice. I have tried it and it works!!!

I haven't heard of anyone making cheese in Thailand. I will be very interested to know how you get on.

Please remember to keep us informed of your progress/success.

Good luck.

I have no knowledge of cheesemaking - only eating.

I do know that rennet is used and is some kind of enzyme from a calf's stomach, so maybe you can make your own?

not the same kind of cheeses....

the cheese made with lemon or vinegar is a specific kind of cheese: queso fresca/halumi/pannir cheese.

cheese with rennet is used differently and cooks differently... but there is artificial rennet as well since in israel we have to do kosher and rennet is not kosher (from stomach of calf used with milk)

how about making yougurt/kfir/leben? just need some bought yogurt and u can start your own...

or true soured milk for using in cooking (wiht non pasteurized milk soured, not spoiled).

good luck

bina

hello,

I am a vet who has a 5 freedom goat farm project in BKK.

I making some goat cheese. It's soft ripen goat cheese.

Now I need some comment.

If you prefer to taste for me. I will send some for free.

Eric, where are you? Maybe I can help you for that.

• 3 weeks later...
hello

Samui as many hotel

any idea will be welcome

Eric

Hi eric,

I've recently started experimenting with cheesemaking too. for milk i just go to the big supermarkets and check expiration dates (they slash the prices by half or more the day before the dates). i'm sure there are better ways to get milk, non-pasteurized milk and goat milk (which i've seen sold in small batches, pasteurized), but i don't know them yet. if you find out, please let me know. also, i haven't been able to find rennet yet and have been having success with yogurt cheese (labneh) and using vinegar to curdle the milk and then hanging or pressing it and adding herbs and things for variations. any info on where to find some rennet would be appreciated!